JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION LISTING FORUM

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Legends and Pioneers » Fred Bear » Hunting with Fred Bear (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Hunting with Fred Bear
Huntrdfk
Contributor 2017
Member # 938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Huntrdfk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cahrlie that is awesome, thanks for sharing this.

David

--------------------
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Associate Member

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Posts: 4767 | From: Somersworth, NH | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Timo
Charter Member
Member # 180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Timo   Email Timo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool stuff Lambo! [thumbsup]

The first trad related pic I ever remember seeing was that of Fred draggin out a big ole michigan whitetail!

I still see that image in my head!

--------------------
(Enny o yuns know ware thu heart o a stumpytail izz??)

Posts: 4781 | From: Hickory co.Mo. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark U
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark U   Email Mark U   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at the shelf on that bow, and then mentioning Fred Asbell reminds me of an article Asbell wrote, probably back about 1981 in Bowhunter, about shooting off the shelf. He said that the first thing he did when he bought a new bow was to buy a new file and modify the shelf to look just like the one on Fred's bow. I, of course, did the same with my bows.

Yer a lucky dog, Charlie.

--------------------
So don't wait until you retire to go hunting and fishing. Don't even wait for your annual vacation. Go at every opportunity. Things that appear urgent at the moment may, in the long run, turn out to be far less so.

Ted Trueblood

Posts: 436 | From: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Bolin
Contributor 2014
Member # 401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Bolin   Email Mike Bolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charlie, thank you for sharing with us. You should really put your hunts/adventures down in book form. I know you'd sell at least one...to me! [bigsmyl] Thank you-Mike

--------------------
Black Widow PLIII 62", 54#@28"
Black Widow PLV 62", 53#@28"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
NRA Life Member

Posts: 3279 | From: West Terre Haute, Indiana | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob@helleknife.com
Contributor 2007
Member # 6

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob@helleknife.com   Author's Homepage   Email bob@helleknife.com   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charlie,

Thanks so much for sharing! It's a pretty cool piece of history.

Bob

--------------------
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Posts: 506 | From: Bend, Oregon | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
woodsman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for woodsman   Author's Homepage   Email woodsman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charlie

I recently came in posession of an old Bear recurve. The fellow that had owned it said he had the opportunity to meet and shoot with Fred Bear. He told me of Fred's personal bow and how it was modified. He bought this bow new and modified it exactly like Fred's bow. It is a mint 1959 Bear Grizzly, painted camo.

It's special to hunt with this bow simply due to the history connected to Fred and a life-time of bowhunting by it's previous owner.

Hearing your story adds even more credability to it's history cause I had never heard anyone else speak of Fred's special modification.

Thanks Charlie

Chris

Posts: 417 | From: Watson, missouri | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John/Alaska
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1857

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John/Alaska   Email John/Alaska   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx for sharing Charlie!

--------------------
John/AK

Posts: 610 | From: Tok Alaska | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn29
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn29   Email Glenn29   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is an awesome thread!

Mr. Lamb thank you very much for sharing your memories [thumbsup]

--------------------
Can't see the forest for all the trees..

Posts: 1079 | From: Inverness , FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie Lamb
Charter Member
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Lamb   Email Charlie Lamb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may have mentioned this before, but this hunt is where I first noticed it.

I loved Fred's hat... as many do/did. Something I noticed that I hadn't paid much attention to was a little sprig of leaves with a couple of berries tucked into the hat band.

I didn't think much about it the first day, other than I thought it was kinda neat.

Then the second day I noticed that Fred had changed the sprig for a small feather.

On the third it was something different and by now my curiosity was running wild... so I asked him. "What's up with that?"

Fred told me that each day he'd stop and pick some little something that caught his eye and put it in his hat band.
It reminded him to slow down and pay attention to the little things around him.

I adopted the habit as my own that day and have kept it. Ya know what? It works.

Fred wasn't so much the killer/hunter as he was a student of nature and the world around him.

--------------------
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Posts: 11250 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie Lamb
Charter Member
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Lamb   Email Charlie Lamb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My granddad wore a hat like Fred's, as many men did years ago and I got my first one from him.

I guess I've worn "the hat" since I was about 18.

It's my constant hunting companion and keeps the sun out of my eyes and the rain off my neck.

The fact that Fred wore one like my grandad made the hat just that much cooler.

--------------------
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Posts: 11250 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earl E. Nov...mber
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Earl E. Nov...mber   Email Earl E. Nov...mber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charlie,, Sent ya the picture, Earthlink did it's thing.

--------------------
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Posts: 1964 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hutch
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hutch   Email Hutch       Edit/Delete Post 
Charlie, That's really neat.
I would love to hear some of these stories first hand, person to person over a camp fire sometime, and ya know, we don't live all that far apart.

Your welcome around my camp anytime sir.

Hutch

--------------------
"Who STOLE the Little Delta Bows life??? terry green."

Posts: 448 | From: S.E.Okla. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IB
Contributor 2010
Member # 7360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IB         Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup] [thumbsup] I knew that you could do it in one setting and it really wasn't that hard was it [Smile] Thanks for the refresher
[bigsmyl] and I'll see ya soon.
I KNOW THOSE GUYS WITH THE BEAR !! One Looks older NOW

Posts: 2981 | From: Somewhere over the Rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Woodduck
Charter Member
Member # 50

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Woodduck   Author's Homepage   Email Woodduck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a nice thread...thanks so much. Leaves me with a real warm feeling...or maybe I've been sittin' here too long [bigsmyl]
'For really' thanks, Charlie, and guys. It's nice to hear the REAL inside stuff. Fred's promotional team fooled me into buying that 'Alaskan' compound. I saw in the picture that it was the one Fred was shooting...gosh, I'm gullible [Embarrassed]

--------------------
Happy trails.... ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit---> (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Posts: 2599 | From: RBX to OBX | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie Lamb
Charter Member
Member # 8

Alrighty then... Ken "Earl E. November" Elshof sent me the picture of Fred and the Alaskan Compound. Doesn't show the shelf, but you can see he's got the arrow down on his knuckle.

-

Thanks much Ken! [thumbsup]

--------------------
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©