JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN MOVED TO PowWow.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » Memorable Hunts » Colorado Cat (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Colorado Cat
acolobowhunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14760

Icon 1 posted      Profile for acolobowhunter   Email acolobowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First try at posting a photo. Hope it works. A Tom I got here in Colorado with 65# Stumbo rec  - urve, cedar shafts and Zwi  - kee Eskimo head.

I hunted these cats for 3 yrs. before I got one I wanted to shoot. Got onto several small cats, but let them go.

Posts: 524 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shakes.602
Contributor 2014
Member # 4176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shakes.602   Email Shakes.602   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very Nice Cougar/Mt. Lion!! Congrats!! They are Elegant Animals to begin with, You have a VERY NICE CAT!!!!

--------------------
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Posts: 5567 | From: Crawfordsville, Indiana | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneshot-onekill
2017 Contributor
Member # 8353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneshot-onekill   Email oneshot-onekill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a nice cat....congrats

--------------------
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Posts: 1747 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peak98
Contributor 2009
Member # 10180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peak98   Email peak98   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
pretty kitty, Congrats. [clapper]

--------------------
peak98

traveling East, in search of more light.

Posts: 333 | From: Denham Springs, Louisiana | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoeM
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13006

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeM   Email JoeM   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a beautiful Trophy!!! What did he weigh? Thanks for sharing. Joe

--------------------
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 1453 | From: Centereach NY | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swp
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swp   Email swp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice, did you hunt with an outfitter or do you know someone with dogs?

--------------------
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Posts: 2116 | From: Ozark, Missouri | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Benny Nganabbarru
Contributor 2016
Member # 10583

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Benny Nganabbarru   Email Benny Nganabbarru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup]

--------------------
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Posts: 6048 | From: Northern Territory, Australia | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kingwouldbe
*unregistered*
Member # 11698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kingwouldbe   Email Kingwouldbe       Edit/Delete Post 
Colo, Nice pussy cat, that's one worth waiting for.

Lets hear more about the hunt/chase

[ November 26, 2008, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Kingwouldbe ]

Posts: 1282 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
acolobowhunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14760

Icon 1 posted      Profile for acolobowhunter   Email acolobowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I said, I hunted lions for 3 years. I always thought it would be easy using dogs. Wrong. The snow is deep and the mountains steep. Found two pair of tracks about 3 am. but could not let the dogs on the track until sunrise. We run them a couple hours and they split up. We stayed on the Tom's track. About 2:00pm we finally started getting closer. Topped out on a high ridge and heard the dogs in the bottom of the canyon. I told my pard that I hoped he stayed in the bottom and didn't climb the next mountain as it was really steep. Well to the very top of the next peak he went.
Posts: 524 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater 2
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tater 2   Email Tater 2       Edit/Delete Post 
Congradulations Gene nice lookin' Cat

--------------------
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
PBS Associate
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Posts: 428 | From: Colorado | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
acolobowhunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14760

Thanks Pat. You still around Loveland - maybe I am mixed up ???

We went down in the canyon then started climbing the next ridge. The snow was about knee deep and so steep, I had to grab on to the trees and pull myself up then find another one. Heard the dogs at the top barking " Treed" It took me probably an hour to get to the top. The cat was about 30 ft.+ up. Tied up all the dogs and then found one dog dead. Two others were really tore up. If must have been a real fight before we got up there.
Looked for a long time to find a place to get an arrow through the limbs.
I had been having bad dreams for a year or two thinking that I would really be imbarrased if I missed. Heard about one guy that emptied his quiver. Had to look for his arrows so he could shoot again.
Anyway finally found a small opening.

Big_Al
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Big_Al   Email Big_Al   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome!

--------------------
"And that, my friends, is the minority vote." -Bill the Butcher

Posts: 426 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tradtusker
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tradtusker   Email tradtusker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
awesome cat congrats! something id love to have a go at now im over here is Colorado

well done

--------------------
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Posts: 4140 | From: African in Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
acolobowhunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14760

I had to pick a spot on the animal that the arrow would pass through the vidals. The guy with the dogs was yelling to shoot. Think he was pretty upset about loosing a dog and having others tore up.
Finally let it fly. I heard a dull thud then a sharp crack. The arrow passed thru and stuck in the tree. The cat let out a scream then lost his balance and started falling. Seemed like a long time for him to hit the ground. He lay still and I started walking up to him. I quickly grabbed another arrow. I learned from my grizzley to have another arrow ready. It was a good thing because he got up. I put another arrow in the boiler room and he went down for good.

We tied a rope on him and slid him across the snow for a few miles to the nearest road. We had to haul a couple dogs to the vet afterwards.
The cat weighed 150 lbs with an empty stomach. I had the skull measured and it missed the book by 1/8". Didn't matter to me though. He is a good cat. Ate the meat and it was really good.

bowhunterfrompast
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bowhunterfrompast   Author's Homepage   Email bowhunterfrompast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats [thumbsup]

--------------------
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Posts: 2686 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©