JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Hunting Legislation & Policies » new arrow shooter threat (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: new arrow shooter threat
Uncle Buck
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Uncle Buck   Email Uncle Buck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched a short video from the SHOT show put out by the Benjamin air rifle people. They are introducing a gun that uses compressed air to shoot an arrow 450fps. Now that crossbows have become widely accepted , who knows where this will end?
Posts: 582 | From: Canton Georgia | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NIGEL01
Assoc Sponsor - CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 22184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NIGEL01   Email NIGEL01   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a video of Jim Shockey shooting a buffalo with one. He says in the video "this is a game changer for the archery world!". It's getting out of control. Herd your buck towards your pile of Dirt Nap with your drone. Ready yourself from a 100 yards away with your airbow, with a mounted scope and shoot. This has nothing to do with introducing more people to hunting, it's solely about money. Will these archery shops ever say enough is enough.
Posts: 844 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al Dente
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al Dente   Email Al Dente   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been saying it for years. The AirBow by Benjamin is, according to its' marketing manager, meant to introduce firearms users to archery. Ha!

--------------------
President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Posts: 1388 | From: New York | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ronp
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 7846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ronp   Email ronp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Al Dente:
Been saying it for years. The AirBow by Benjamin is, according to its' marketing manager, meant to introduce firearms users to archery. Ha!

You don't think your governor would ever allow these things in archery season, do you Al?

--------------------
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
NYTB
MTB

Posts: 5468 | From: Parish, New York | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ronp
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 7846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ronp   Email ronp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excuse my sarcasm Al [bigsmyl]

--------------------
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
NYTB
MTB

Posts: 5468 | From: Parish, New York | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al Dente
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al Dente   Email Al Dente   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know Ron. He has his finger on the pulse of the sportsmen of NYS.

--------------------
President
Life Member

Posts: 1388 | From: New York | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ronp
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 7846

quote:
Originally posted by Al Dente:
I know Ron. He has his finger on the pulse of the sportsmen of NYS.

I thought it was that he has his hand in the pocket of NYS sportsman!

--------------------
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
NYTB
MTB

Al Dente
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1051

He wants transparency yet he shut down his own investigation into corruption. Just pathetic.

--------------------
President
Life Member

SS Snuffer
Contributor 2015
Member # 16844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SS Snuffer   Email SS Snuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he had his hand on my pulse right now he would know how mad I am!!!!

--------------------
Chuck
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 42 lb.

Posts: 764 | From: Villard Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kingstaken
Contributor 2017
Member # 10937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kingstaken         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I've only shooting the bow for the past 23 yrs, (will be 50+ 10% this year) let me ask a question.

When compounds first arrived on the archery scene was there all this craziness I see with no one wanting them in bow season?
Did those who I'll call (including myself) traditional archers want wheelies in a separate season from them thinking all guns hunters were going out to buy wheelies to use because of the ease of use with sights and speed of arrows?

It's apparent to me that no one wants anything that's not theirs no matter what in life just like PETA's fight's drooling with craziness what they want even though they have a right not to do what they don't want to, but no right to impose their beliefs on me. Their craziness is permitted with almost no punishment given with throwing paint on a women in a $1k+ fur other than maybe a slap on the wrist. I saw the same with crossbows recently. A weapon that's has obviously evolved but never the less way more traditional than wheelies. Common sense won in most places I know and was put in a late season.
I mean come on how many gun hunters have you've guys actually recently seen go out and get a crossbow to hunt after they were permitted to be used.

I cannot name one strictly gun hunter I know who went out to buy a crossbow to hunt more.

Let anyone who wants to hunt and pay a license fee enjoy the outdoors and hunt with their choice of weapon. But for the safety of all in the woods just put it a late season as ours here with crossbow.
Very simple solution.

No anger, no hostility no craziness. Hunters getting along with hunters. Divide us we get conquered.

--------------------
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Posts: 1898 | From: NC | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Buck
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Uncle Buck   Email Uncle Buck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lived in northern Michigan in the early 80's and it was a common sight to see gun hunters drive up from the cities and head to the local K mart. There they would buy a Bear whitetail hunter compound, 3 arrows and an archery license, just to give this Bow hunting thing a try. Nowadays. I live in Georgia and I have seen 2 gun hunters buy a crossbow, because it was easier than a real bow. The Benjamin airbow only take two fingers to cock. If its allowed in archery season the lazy will flock to it.
Posts: 582 | From: Canton Georgia | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ronp
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 7846

Jim,

You make some good points. Did you know that crossbows are legal to use in archery season in both the northern and southern zones on NY?

And if they are "way more traditional than wheelies" why do you need a muzzleloader tag and not an archery tag to use them? And no bowhunting education course?

Ron

--------------------
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
NYTB
MTB

Kingstaken
Contributor 2017
Member # 10937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kingstaken         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ron,
What I meant by more traditional than a compound is the crossbow has been around since at least 500-700BCE.
Being a NY'er I am aware You can hunt the seasons you mentioned.
As for needing a muzzleloader tag you are correct. IMO a battle won by the NY Bowhunters that a crossbow it is not considered a 100% form of a bow.
Yes no additional classroom training other that you are required on the NYS DEC website site to read the rules, watch a video, print and sign a card stating you have done so and carry it with you.

--------------------
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Posts: 1898 | From: NC | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Vought
Contributor 2015
Member # 393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Vought   Email Ron Vought   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bowhunters should have fought to define archery equipment restrictions years ago. This weapon or the crossgun would never even be considered archery equipment if we would have taken a stand....shame on us as bowhunters!

Ron

Posts: 1167 | From: South East, PA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
frank bullitt
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17387

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frank bullitt   Email frank bullitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy Ron, you are right on!

Society, humans, seem to eventually except most everything now.

Brother in arms? Discriminate? Who's rights?

All for one and one for all. HMMM

Posts: 2327 | From: mighty wabash river,in. | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©