3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Don't miss the great article on string testing, new TBM  (Read 8968 times)

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
Don't miss the great article on string testing, new TBM
« on: March 04, 2006, 02:59:00 PM »
I've already taken it down to my office so can't tell ya the author but it was very informitive. Answers many questions that have been argued for some time. Great read  :thumbsup:
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Don't miss the great article on string testing, new TBM
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 04:04:00 PM »
Yep, that was a great article. really dispelled some myths, didn't it? Anyone who hasn'r read it needs to. Lots of great info.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 05:13:00 PM »
When it gets here I will be sure to read it.Waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 09:46:00 AM »
Not sure that I believe the results or trust the author and his testing methods. For one thing, it seems intuitive that "creep" would be the original stretch of a new string and "stretch" would be the stretch each shot.

Also, the author's dismissal of 5 fps being significant bugs me.

Sounded like he used mechanical release but not a shooting machine. Unless he used at least a clicker or other draw check, it would be very hard to duplicate draw length.

Would have also like to see a broader range of bow types and arrow weights.

In general, it did not stike me as valid scietific method. Still, some food for thought.

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 10:27:00 AM »
Hmm... definately food for thought. Maybe now that this "study" has been done some "scientific" person will come along and try to improve on it. I'd sure like to see it.
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 01:07:00 PM »
I've got to check this article out ...
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 01:35:00 PM »
A real eye opener.  Generally the fast flight materials yield a 5fps faster arrow, and string weight didn't seem to affect speed.  Hope others will replicate the study.  There's lots of confusion in this area and this is an excellent first step.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 01:42:00 PM »
I haven't read it yet, but I will go out on a limb and say that if string weight didn't effect the results, someone wasn't doing their testing correctly.

You cannot change moving mass without affecting speed.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline njstykbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 02:07:00 PM »
Jeff,

Exactly!  How can a bow with a fixed amount of stored energy shoot two strings of unequal weight with the same speed.  That goes for the number of strands causing the weight change as well as adding silencers, brush buttons, etc.?

My testing has not been anywhere near "scientific", but these are not the results I've found at all.

Joe

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006, 11:23:00 PM »
Hope I can find it--looked today, but it wasn't on the rack--how long has this issue been out?

One thing I've noticed is there are no absolutes, string weight can affect speed (how much will vary), and unless the author used a shooting machine and a LOT of different bow styles and weights, his results are very questionable.

Chad

Offline danseitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 08:23:00 AM »
LBR,
This article is in the latest issue.  I just got it a few days ago.

I am not a scientist, but I just didn't buy all his "scientific" results.  Admittedly, I read it in a hurry and probably should go over it again, but I just don't believe that there is no significant advantage of the fast flight strings to dacron.
No matter how tough the cut of meat, you can always stick your fork in the gravy.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 09:39:00 AM »
Hmmm, I thought I was the only one questioning the results...
Lets give the guy innocent until proven guilty, he did say he shot 500 times! But...

I just can't beleive the results, knowing how much I can change tune/bare shaft with silencers and string material at home. Just sliding a silencer up the string can change a shaft from stiff to weak.

Some of these chrographs are not to accurate you know, and how did he control draw length.

Does a string material manufacturer have data to coincide? Someone has too? Why only 452, why not try 8125 or TS1?

a 100+ grain difference in string weight did not change FPS? 6 strands no faster than 12 strands?

What about the loss of speed from B50 slaping your wrist? When a fast string won't touch it.

Fast strings gain more like 10-12 FPS right?

Somethings not right

Can someone back this up.

We need a string manufacturer to weight in on this

Tedd

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 09:56:00 AM »
I haven't read it either so don't know what they said or how the testing was done. I will say we've done a LOT of testing in this area and any differences seen are 99% mass related and the other 1% is drag due to string diameter. How much string mass effects arrow velocity depends on where that mass is located. 10 grains in the serving area is the same as adding 10 grains to the arrow, 10 grains in the loops is like adding about 3 grains to the arrow.

If a person used under built Dacron and over built modern strings, yes the results could be minimal. If compared strength to strength, IE: the same pounds breaking strength between strings, the results would be MUCH greater then 5 fps.

Energy is divided up between limb mass, string mass, and arrow mass. Increase the mass of any one and less energy goes to the other two and vice versa.

5 fps at the same gr/lb??? That's only the same as short drawing or over drawing more then 1". Anyone that's been shooting more then a week can "see" how significant that is when we do it in the field. It'll be interesting to see who the author is, bet there's an underlying agenda some where. There was an article written many years ago called "Anatomy of a string", they came to similar 5-6fps conclusion but "spun" it as being insignificant looking at fps as a %. Looking at fps is like looking at RPM in an engine, it doesn't relate to horsepower in itself. This one was written by a bowyer who didn't like folks using non-stretch strings on his bows for failure reasons....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 01:21:00 PM »
Amen O.L.  What the heck would we do without you!?
I'll read it again tonight, maybe I'm missing something?

Tedd

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2006, 01:35:00 PM »
Shaun, I was really confused over his stretch/creep thing too. Did he have that backwards? I was probably half sleep when I read it.
Tedd

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2006, 01:38:00 PM »
Maybe his Chrono is like mine and he just doesn't know it yet. My Chrono is a pc of crap. I gives false readings all the time.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2006, 02:07:00 PM »
Let me throw a thought out here, since we are talking about strings and performance.

After thinking through the mechanics of an arrow coming out of the bow, I have come to the conclusion that the "stretch" aspect of string material is a red herring.  Unless the string is stretching DURING THE DRAW and not recovering it's original shape until after the arrow is gone, stretch cannot possibly affect the performance of an arrow.

Think about it.  When is string stretch most likely to occur?  When the bow slams home to brace height, right?  Folks, THE ARROW IS ALREADY GONE before that stretch ever occurs.  Such stretch can't have any effect on how much energy the arrow left the bow with.  You might get more handshock, but the arrow couldn't care less.

I am with O.L.  The difference between string material is strictly weight versus strength.  Stetch or lack of it don't mean a thing.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2006, 02:30:00 PM »
Or...if a string stretches when slaming home at brace height is that a waste of energy that could have gone into the arrow?

Offline njstykbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2006, 02:46:00 PM »
Jeff,

I'm not sure, but I believe the arrow nock will stay in contact with the string until the strings stops all forward movement.

Joe

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2006, 02:49:00 PM »
Joe, I have to agree with ya....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©