3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tuning Help Needed.................  (Read 1310 times)

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
Tuning Help Needed.................
« on: January 24, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »
:help:  

Trying to get the Dalaa dialed in and still having problems. I'm using the SRF sight and have played with a bare shaft and have gotten it dialed in quite nicely. Arrow flight is good and I am hitting within a 6" circle every time at 20 yards. The problem is when I shoot a fletched arrow. My fletched arrows are always a foot left of the bare shafts. I know that would suggest a weak spine but I am shooting 100g points on a 29.5" AD Trad Lite (bow is 45@28 and I draw 29"). I use the same arrows out of my Horne recurve that is 51@28 and use a 145g point so I'm at a loss. I've tried rotating my nock to eliminate any interference but that hasn't helped either. The only thing I can think of that I haven't tried is changing the centershot. It's currently set as recommended (right side of the tip of the arrow just outside, left of, the string).

Any ideas? Thanks, sgrogg

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tuning Help Needed.................
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 09:28:00 PM »
Nope, not weak at all. That shows a way stiff spine. Left shows stiff. I would think you would need at least 200 point weight for good flight, even 225 would be better. I shot those shafts out of my 63#Kwyk Styk and needed 175 up front for good flight. Shawn
Shawn

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 09:59:00 PM »
Overly stiff arrows can give deceiving and opposite results.
Either try more point weight or bring the arrow in closer or past center.  The great amount of adjustments is one of the DAS positive features.  Use it to your advantage.
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
I am pretty sure that bare shafts that hit to the right of fletched shafts indicates a weak spine. However I have never dealt with arrows that are way over spined. How can that be that way too stiff arrows act like weak arrows? Could it be because all my bows are not center shot and I rely on the archers paradox?

Offline stringplucker613

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »
Right out of the Easton tuning guide:
Use the Bare Shaft Planing Test to correct Fishtailing. Shoot three fletched shafts at a distance of 15 to 20 yards (meters), then shoot two identically-aimed, unfletched shafts. If the unfletched shafts impact left (stiff) of the identically aimed, fletched shafts, as seen in Fig. 11 (for a righthanded archer), either decrease the spring tension on the cushion plunger, increase bow weight slightly (if your
bow weight is adjustable), or increase arrow point weight.

If the unfletched shafts impact right (weak) of the identically-aimed, fletched shafts, as seen in Fig. 11 (for a right-handed archer), increase the spring tension on the cushion plunger, decrease bow weight slightly (if your bow weight is adjustable), or decrease arrow point weight.

Offline todd potiphar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 11:56:00 PM »
I have had overspined arrows shoot WAY right.  The problem was that the tail of the arrow deflected left off of the riser and sent the arrow to the right.  My bow is not centreshot, so that may have something to do with - but seriously overspined arrows do shoot right.  The arrow will probably be sticking out of the target at a crazy angle, which may help you diagnose the situation.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 02:07:00 AM »
Are you right or left handed?

Offline CJ5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 12:35:00 PM »
What is the deflection on those AD's?

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »
I'm right handed.

I don't know what the deflection is but I'm going to search the 'net right now to see if I can find out.

Thanks.

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 09:42:00 PM »
The original post said "My fletched arrows are always a foot left of the bare shafts." In other words, keeping consistent with the  bare shaft tuning terminology, the bare shafts grouped right of the feathered shafts, no? My experience with bare shaft tuning is that it is not the "hard science" purported to be. I do a lot of "playing around" with tip weight and often find that pretty significant changes in tip weight often have minimal impact on flight. I have noticed more significant impact in changing arrow length.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©