3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The mental game of archery  (Read 1115 times)

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
The mental game of archery
« on: December 21, 2015, 10:08:00 PM »
How many of us truly focus on the mental game of archery? For me, my shooting could improve exponentially by focusing more on visual imagery and the mental game of archery. Whether it's bow hunting or target archery, Trad or compound bows, the process is the same.Those among us who're consistently successful in hunting or target environments, what processes do you use?

I'm posting a video which shows mostly compound shooters, but there is one trad archer. I hope it doesn't get pulled for that reason. The process of archery, excluding the equipment used, is the same (mentally speaking). The physical aspects of executing the perfect shot may differ, but the process is the same. The process of perfecting the archers shot is the same when we trust the process we use to make the shot.

What do you do, mentally, to improve your archery journey? If you haven't begun a visual imagery process, will you try it? Maybe this is the biggest key to archery once we master the physical skills (form) of archery...

Offline zagaya

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The mental game of archery
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 12:12:00 AM »
A good friend of mine in Idaho shoots competitive archery and is really big on the mental game.  I asked him once how he calms his nerves during a shoot and he said, "By the time I step up to the line to shoot the very first round, I've already (mentally) shot every shot of the tournament, hit x's and won the tournament. So, when I have to do it in real life, I am just replaying what I have already done in my mind."
The large print giveth and the small print taketh away

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 12:50:00 AM »
I almost fell asleep watching that....

I have my shot process taped to the back of my bow limb.  Nobody else would probably understand it, but I know what each step means.  

The hard part is remembering to take my eyes off the deer and looking at the bow limb.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 07:24:00 AM »
I've experienced poor shot execution on whitetails when they're walking, such as a nice buck running a scrape line. When I stop the buck, which is a discussion in and of itself, I sometimes hurry the shot. If I would visualize letting down, should he begin walking, or executing the perfect shot,  if he remains motionless, I think that would help me when I'm truly in the moment.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 07:49:00 AM »
Good points Dennis.  I think your video is more about the relaxation and focus - as in mindfulness meditation translating into more consistent shot sequence, something that everyone of us needs.

Years ago most of my daily practice sessions, particularly prior to a tournament, were in my recliner.  I could close my eyes and visualize each step of my shot sequence over and over again.  When I would finally get up to the line I would replay the whole sequence with my eyes closed - then  open - aim and loose the shot.

In hunting situations I fall back on mantras that I have difficulty with - like, "back tension, back tension, back tension - release!"  Or, lately, "pick a spot stupid" haha.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 07:57:00 AM »
Hi Pete,

Exactly! Like zagaya and Arctic Hunter, you've been ahead of the curve on this one. I've always been aware of the process of visual imagery, but I didn't realized how powerful this process can be, nor how many really good shooters use this process, to improve their shooting.

I need to focus on the mantra...Pick a spot, dummy too!    :biglaugh:

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 08:11:00 AM »
This is probably a better example of the process and less about relaxation and focus.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 09:41:00 AM »
We have to remember that there is not just one way to shoot.  There are many "styles" and each user of a "style" adds their little bit of unique to it.  

Additionally, different styles can be used for different reasons.  As just a point, one may require a stopped deer, while others can go with a (reasonable) moving target and not get flustered.

Practicing those aspects also helps, since having "done it" before and having already ironed out and perfected the style needed to excel helps you to do it correctly under the pressure of the moment.

Yup, there is a lot more to flinging arrows than just the flinging, and the mental game is a huge part of it.
ChuckC

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 10:12:00 AM »
Read Jay Kidwell.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 10:24:00 AM »
Hey Dennis....

I spent one entire year changing my shooting style and working on the execution of a shot process. Mimicking some of the great traditional target shooters of today. I made sure every shot that I took a breath, pointed my shoulder and hit my two anchor points.  I excelled in my target shooting that summer and would spend hours executing and shooting dots and tight groups. That hunting season I struggled all season.  I shot several deer but my shot placement on the deer taken was just ok and I soon lost my confidence.  I found myself putting more emphasis on the "shot process" than just shooting the darn deer.

The following year and still today, I've gotten away from the stringent shot process. I'm back to picking a spot, coming into my anchor and waiting to get still.  When I'm still the arrow is gone.  I spend considerably less time target practicing and more time hunting groundhogs and judo shooting in the yard.  When I shoot in my basement up close I practice form, outside I focus only on my target and one arrow.  I don't shoot for groups and I don't get too carried away with my accuracy expectations.

I can't help but remember what John Shulz said in his video years ago, "you have to pick whether you're going to be a target shooter or a hunter because the two just don't go together". (The last minute of Hitting them like Howard Hill video 1 on you tube.)     :thumbsup:    

For me personally, target shooting kind of took the fun out of it.  It was also hard on my aging joints.  Seems like I was icing my elbow every night!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 10:42:00 AM »
Great insights, Guys! Tim, great points. Your body knows when your alignment is right and your release sequence is correct through muscle memory. With proper form, and ChuckC said it right that there are many different shooting styles, we can all improve our shooting.

My archery challenges have been numerous over the years, but one thing that has frustrated me the most is this: I can shoot really well sometimes when the pressure is off, e.g. practicing at the range or at home. When the chips are down, be it a 3-D or a nice buck, that's when I seem to sometimes fail in the shot execution. I rush the shot, don't pick a spot, don't settle prior to the shot...     :banghead:     That, for me, is where the mental game may help me.

You, Tim, have a gift for making the shot under pressure ever time! I've seen the pictures! I can name a bunch on TG just like you (RC, Bisch, Terry G, Guru & Cade....) Absolute killers! That gift of making pressure shots eludes me though and, I think, is not as common as we might imagine.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 10:50:00 AM »
I think I found the book you were speaking of, KSdan. Is it Instinctive Archery Insights by Jay Kidwell?

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 10:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tim:
Hey Dennis....

I spent one entire year changing my shooting style and working on the execution of a shot process. Mimicking some of the great traditional target shooters of today. I made sure every shot that I took a breath, pointed my shoulder and hit my two anchor points.  I excelled in my target shooting that summer and would spend hours executing and shooting dots and tight groups. That hunting season I struggled all season.  I shot several deer but my shot placement on the deer taken was just ok and I soon lost my confidence.  I found myself putting more emphasis on the "shot process" than just shooting the darn deer.

The following year and still today, I've gotten away from the stringent shot process. I'm back to picking a spot, coming into my anchor and waiting to get still.  When I'm still the arrow is gone.  I spend considerably less time target practicing and more time hunting groundhogs and judo shooting in the yard.  When I shoot in my basement up close I practice form, outside I focus only on my target and one arrow.  I don't shoot for groups and I don't get too carried away with my accuracy expectations.

I can't help but remember what John Shulz said in his video years ago, "you have to pick whether you're going to be a target shooter or a hunter because the two just don't go together". (The last minute of Hitting them like Howard Hill video 1 on you tube.)      :thumbsup:    

For me personally, target shooting kind of took the fun out of it.  It was also hard on my aging joints.  Seems like I was icing my elbow every night!

I am the same as Tim. My practice and shots on game are purely instinctive. The only thing I do is try to remind myself to pick a spot when shooting at a large same color target as a deer with no spot to mentally pick. For me a step by step shot process is difficult on a live target. When the target moves the brain is distracted with the process and the process becomes the determination of success or failure.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 11:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by KentuckyTJ:

Originally posted by Tim:
Hey Dennis....

I can't help but remember what John Shulz said in his video years ago, "you have to pick whether you're going to be a target shooter or a hunter because the two just don't go together". (The last minute of Hitting them like Howard Hill video 1 on you tube.)       :thumbsup:      

I am the same as Tim. My practice and shots on game are purely instinctive. The only thing I do is try to remind myself to pick a spot when shooting at a large same color target as a deer with no spot to mentally pick. For me a step by step shot process is difficult on a live target. When the target moves the brain is distracted with the process and the process becomes the determination of success or failure. [/b]
That's interesting, Tom. You don't even think about it, except for picking the spot. You just make the shot. That's exactly it. Your mental state is one of, pick the spot and kill that animal. Then your mental state synchs with your body and you make the shot happen. When the archer's mind is in the right place and proper form is executed, the shot happens with successful outcomes. However, if the archer allows stress and muscle tightness, or negative thoughts to creep into his mind, negative outcomes occur.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 11:14:00 AM »
I strongly agree that shooting a barebow is very much a mental process.  I've headshot grouse and rabbits, executed perfect shots on turkey, deer and pine cones alike, but if anyone watched my shoot paper target rounds, they would keep their distance; its really embarrassing how I can fling arrows that are for score.  I believe this lack of accuracy has alot to do with a lack of concentration.  A deer would be in pretty good shape if it painted black and white scoring rings over its vitals and made me shoot 60 arrows at it.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2015, 11:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by BWallace10327:
I strongly agree that shooting a barebow is very much a mental process.  I've headshot grouse and rabbits, executed perfect shots on turkey, deer and pine cones alike, but if anyone watched my shoot paper target rounds, they would keep their distance; its really embarrassing how I can fling arrows that are for score.  I believe this lack of accuracy has alot to do with a lack of concentration.  A deer would be in pretty good shape if it painted black and white scoring rings over its vitals and made me shoot 60 arrows at it.
:laughing:   What's the saying? Archery is 10% skill and 90% mental?

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2015, 11:39:00 AM »
The only thing I ever remember after the shot on a deer is the spot.  I took a nice one last week and I don't even remember anchoring, and I am one to really settle in.  A few years back my son had hit a deer a touch back and I had to put a second arrow in her with my son watching.  All I remembered after the shot was the arrow striking home tight to the shoulder.  I turned and asked him if I settled into my anchor and he commented.  Oh yeah Dad, for like three seconds.  

We "all" practice so much and so often, just let it happen folks, stop thinking about it in hunting scenarios just shoot the darn deer.    :thumbsup:

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 11:46:00 AM »
On the subject of moving deer. I don't shoot at them anymore.  I learned my lesson long ago.  While I've shot my share walking and a couple trotting, the outcome is not always what we want and that is not acceptable.

I have a great friend and awesome hunter who refuses to shoot a deer that is moving or alert.  He only takes broadside shots under 20 yards and no closer than 5 yards.  His success rate with his longbow is stellar!  I applaud him  :clapper:

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 12:46:00 PM »
Tim,

Good on you and good on your buddy. That's discipline!

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2015, 12:55:00 PM »
No question in my mind,shooting a stickbow is mostly mental once the basics have been established. To me that's key, one has to have a well executed shot routine burned into memory in order to excell at this game.

I love to shoot, and often times when I am tired or simply do not have the concentration that I should, I create bad habits.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©