3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The mental game of archery  (Read 1113 times)

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The mental game of archery
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2015, 01:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by longbow fanatic 1:

Originally posted by BWallace10327:
I strongly agree that shooting a barebow is very much a mental process.  I've headshot grouse and rabbits, executed perfect shots on turkey, deer and pine cones alike, but if anyone watched my shoot paper target rounds, they would keep their distance; its really embarrassing how I can fling arrows that are for score.  I believe this lack of accuracy has alot to do with a lack of concentration.  A deer would be in pretty good shape if it painted black and white scoring rings over its vitals and made me shoot 60 arrows at it.
:laughing:    What's the saying? Archery is 10% skill and 90% mental? [/b]
Or was that my golf game? LOL!

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2015, 02:14:00 PM »
I could be saying that archery is 10% skill and 90% mental, or I could be saying "come watch me shoot an NFAA 300 round if your having a rough day and need a laugh."   :laughing:
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2015, 02:58:00 PM »
Like Tim, I firmly believe the one arrow - retrieve process is the ticket for building confidence.  Mental is one thing, confidence is another, though the two can go hand in hand.   When I quit shooting "groups", my success increased a bunch.  

By shooting one arrow, then retrieving, I find I put more concentration in every aspect into each shot.  I never shoot from the same spot, and I always end each session on a good shot, even if it has to be a close one to do so!  

There are other benefits to practicing this way that indirectly feed into the "mental" game.   I shoot pretty heavy bows, and in practicing this way I tend to shoot a lot less, and I never feel the "need" to shoot a bunch to keep up on practice.   I also let my muscles rest between sessions...just like lifting weights.  So there is less likely a chance of injury for me...and I never get too tired and/or sloppy.  

There are a lot of "other" things folks can do....little things...that help in the confidence/mental capacity during hunting.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2015, 03:22:00 PM »
Yes Dennis.  That's the one. I have friendships with a few pro/collegiate/olympian athletes. . .they all use/train similar techniques to accomplish the task under pressure.  Pro golfer, freethrow, field goal kicker, sniper. .  all must learn techniques so that they can perform under pressure.  Our brains actually function a certain way- you need to understand it.  

Few do it naturally and more physical practice is not necessarily the answer.  

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2015, 03:27:00 PM »
I would actually say that archery is 90% physical and 10% mental.  The problem is that the 10% mental has a huge impact as we are all human; meaning our minds are finite and not as macho as we want to believe.  There are many athletes who have the 90% skill/honed to perfection- but they can not perform when they need to. Those that can master the 10%, both naturally and by training, make it to the PGA.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2015, 06:12:00 PM »
Very insightful, Mark & Dan! Hey Dan, I think I might purchase that book and give it a go.

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2015, 06:45:00 PM »
When I am shooting to develop form, I want that form to become automatic and that is all I am doing with stat shot.  When I am shooting to concentrate on follow through that is all I am doing with that shot.  When I am shooting to grove in my aim, that is all I am doing with that shot.  I try, I said,'try', to get every little piece and part to become a single dynamic movement and automatic combined unit, until all of the pieces and parts are simply the shot.  When I am shooting at a game animal, I am in full automatic with the turbo chargers going full steam.  To shoot targets things need to get more methodical and mechanical for repetition purposes, I personally cannot think of a game animal as a target, my brain is in a completely different gear.  If the only game shot anyone ever takes is a single shot at a deer from a tree stand, that state of free concentration may not be possible.  Squirrels, doves and rabbits are my special training tools and supper quite often.

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2015, 07:16:00 PM »
I think we need to talk about whether there is an aiming process involved in making the shot.  If we use one of them then we have to add in the yardage estimation to the game.  I don't use one.  Those friends of mine that do seem to have less problems with the mental game.  Their shooting is more form dependant than mine.  If I am unable to "see" my target I can't hit where I want.  I find that to be the toughest part of the mental game for me.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2015, 11:11:00 AM »
I believe that mental proficiency in archery is based on two things: level of physical awareness of what the body is doing, and the ability to concentrate and eliminate distractions.

Increasing physical awareness is the positive source of our improvement.  While some people are born with a high level of physical awareness, and are able to learn physical activities much more quickly than others, anyone can learn to increase his level of physical awareness.  Sometimes this is less a matter of learning to increase physical awareness than it is a matter of learning to turn off the cognitive thoughts that are blocking the perfectly good physical awareness we already have.

Concentration is our ability to block negative distractions that impede our accuracy in hand/eye coordination sports.  Much of our poor shooting results from allowing distractions to diffuse our attention away from being concentrated on the spot we want to hit.  These distractions can be physical, like the antlers of a deer, or mental, like thoughts of other people watching you shoot.  Concentration, like awareness, may be a natural inherited talent, but can also be learned.

I don't claim to have all the answers to target panic, but I think one type of target panic is caused by a breakdown of awareness and concentration.  When shooting alone, a person may feel connected with his body and able to concentrate on the shot.  When shooting under pressure, a person may feel that those connections are broken, and is unable to focus.  This is similar to the feeling you might get if you were driving a car and your subtle inputs to the steering wheel started having unpredictable results.  "Pressure" is an individual phenomenon; what is perceived as pressure by one person may be just an exhilarating feeling of competition for someone else.  It's not logical; why should I feel pressure when shooting in a tournament with my friends when I don't in a high-level business situation that has a lot more riding on it?  Nobody performs better under pressure, but, as has been mentioned by others, one can learn to improve performance under pressure.  Learning to deal with pressure can reduce the feeling of disconnectedness that results in this particular form of target panic.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2015, 11:35:00 AM »
I always appreciate your insight, McDave. I agree with your assessment and I plan train my mental focus to improve my archery accuracy in 2016. It's neat to identify areas which need improvement in this journey/passion we all share, then to work diligently to make those improvements. Last year, I dedicated myself to attending Rod Jenkins clinic and spent a great deal of time learning and implementing his system.

Offline Scott Barr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2015, 12:41:00 PM »
Dennis,  thanks so much for starting this post.  I have read several times over, all that archers more experienced than I, have to say on the mental game.  What Tim says in particular resonates with me.  My form sequence is pretty good through shot repetition except when my mental focus breaks down usually under pressure or at distances over 25 yards.   So recently I have started shooting one arrow at a time and retrieving.  Shooting at different distances each time.  And stopped using a target. Instead picking a spot and holding until I can relax into the shot.  Doing this has helped, and my confidence is returning. After reading what Tim said,  I'll try focusing totally on the spot and let my form memory execute.  Thanks again for the pointers.  Scott

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2015, 02:16:00 PM »
There's nothing more humbling that an indoor 300 round to me.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2015, 05:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Scott Barr:
Dennis,  thanks so much for starting this post.  I have read several times over, all that archers more experienced than I, have to say on the mental game.  What Tim says in particular resonates with me.  My form sequence is pretty good through shot repetition except when my mental focus breaks down usually under pressure or at distances over 25 yards.   So recently I have started shooting one arrow at a time and retrieving.  Shooting at different distances each time.  And stopped using a target. Instead picking a spot and holding until I can relax into the shot.  Doing this has helped, and my confidence is returning. After reading what Tim said,  I'll try focusing totally on the spot and let my form memory execute.  Thanks again for the pointers.  Scott
Scott,

I'm always amazed at what I continue to learn from so many Tradgangers. There are so many ways to shoot traditional gear that finding a system that works for you is perfect!

Warmest regards,

Dennis

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2015, 07:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by reddogge:
There's nothing more humbling that an indoor 300 round to me.
I started shooting an indoor league about 12 years ago.  I was very unhappy with my shooting and decided guys that wanted to be perfect on every shot were the right people to learn from.  In the first year I changed a lot in both equipment and form.   My shooting improved greatly and my confidence was never higher.  I went for a 7 year period where I never missed a deer.  And that was here in Maryland where I easily took 5+ deer a year.  

Due to my work schedule I quit shooting the indoor league about 3 years ago and my shooting suffered.  I started to miss a few  deer and some of my kills were what I feel were not what I wanted in a shot.  Come January I will be back shooting spots hopefully with a new recurve set up specifically for targets.   And yes it will have sights.

When you have to make 60 shots and each one counts you learn to concentrate.  It'a a lot better than just slinging arrow in the yard and remembering the good shots and forgetting the bad ones like they didn't happen.
T ZZZZ

Offline Scott Barr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2015, 01:04:00 AM »
Hey Tim,

Dennis shared the message you PM'd him. I got a lot from it.  Very insightful and coming from a guy who has been at this archery craft a lot longer than most of us. Would you mind posting it here for others to read?  I personally will be taking to heart your points made.  Scott

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2015, 07:14:00 AM »
Hi Scott......I hope you are enjoying your retirement!  

I can be long winded....here you go Scott.

I started shooting traditional bows religiously in the mid 80's and have shot my bow at least 5 days a week ever since. I've got it bad! I've shot left handed, right handed, longbows and recurves. I've shot split, three under, gap, point of aim and instinctive. I've totally immersed myself in ever style looking for the holy grail. I've also owned many bows, thinking that would be the answer. I had target panic so bad as a lefty I started shooting right handed. I've had the privilege of introducing several folks into traditional bows over the years, watching some evolve and some bail. Here's what I've found, over and over again.

There is no one style that fits everyone. We are all "wired" differently and some of us process a particular method better than others. Some folks see the arrow in their secondary vision clear as day, while others don't see any part of the shaft no matter how hard they look. My son is an exceptional shot when given "time and room" to process. He has to process every thing in life and his "mind set" allows him to do nothing naturally or instinctive.

I am more of instinctive guy and have always excelled at hand eye coordination activities....golf, baseball, throwing a football etc. I rarely over analyze anything, I just do it. I have practiced gap shooting for months but for the life of me I cannot use the tip to shoot a deer. When I just let things happen I rarely miss. When I start thinking everything goes to hell. How are you wired? Don't force a style that just won't work.

I believe that far too many of us are looking for the perfect system that allows us to achieve accuracy that is not realistic. There are videos of great shooters on the market that show their awesome skills and give us the perception that they never miss! I watched A well known trick shooter warm up one time and he hitched several times. The videos never show that and him like many of us has his own archery demons.

The one thing I've noticed over the years is that most of the better shooters rarely change bows or at least bow styles. They are good because of consistency in both their form and equipment choices. Byron Ferguson uses the exact same form that he used 20 years ago. John Shulz, Barry Wensel, Rick Welch, etc. They have a method they believe in and although they may tweak it now and than the main shot process varies very little as does their choice in equipment.

I personally believe that changing bows does more to damage our shooting as anything. (I plead guilty!) No matter what method of shooting we choose we must allow the bow to become an extension of us. Constantly changing does not allow that to happen. Changing bows, arrows, tabs, gloves, and FORM...is where our issues begin.

I have a friend that has been shooting the same beat up longbow, wood arrows, back quiver and Howard Hill glove for 25 years. At the archery range he shoots pretty good but on animals he is scary accurate, whether it's standing still or moving. A testament to the one bow theory. I don't think I've ever hunted through one season with the same bow.     :thumbsup:

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2015, 07:24:00 AM »
Well put Tim, we sure have learned a ton over the last few years.
 I can attest to what Tim said. I have reduced my bows to one brand and style and have been shooting probably the best I have in ten or more years.
 I love looking at all the different bows and wonder" what if " all the time. As hard as it is I am sticking to the one bow theory. Kind of branding my mind to make it natural.
 Having fun and taking the stressful over thinking out of it makes it a whole lot more enjoyable.
Happy Holidays,
Big Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2015, 09:21:00 AM »
There are many wise words in this thread.  Most of them spring from the many years of practice and hunting put in by those who posted them.  I hope many read and benefit from them.  

However each of us has to walk down this path and learn our own lessons.  Reading may provide insight, but we learn the most from actually doing.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2015, 12:47:00 PM »
Much well said here.  But do we know WHY some of this works?

Read Kidwell if you have not. He has had 100% success on helping Olympians cure performance/target panic.  It is not some pyscho-babble stuff but "Sports psychology."

What I find so bizarre is many in the hunting/archery world have all sorts of advice of home remedies (some of it actually can help- much of NOT) yet I think most do NOT really understand WHY and HOW it helped. YET- we have available to us an entirely new world of understanding as to how the brain actually works for these issues (And it is NOT pyscho-thearpy mumbo jumbo!).    

As example, one thing mentioned here in this thread:  CONSISTENCY.  (BTW-25 years same ONE bow here for me.)  BUT do you know WHY this works?  It is NOT just the physical memory/ familiarity.  Consistency actually builds TRUST in your method and gear.  That TRUST directly relates to your actual ability to perform under pressure. I TRUST, and therefore no longer need to think about my shot, sequence etc. I only need to concentrate on ONE key thing.      

Now WHY is concentrating on ONE thing important?  

ANSWER: Try this right now:  Actually close your eyes and concentrate real hard on say, an orange.  Think about it.  The shape, dimples, the stem, the color, even the odor. Concentrate!  NOW:  stop thinking about it!. . . .  Stop thinking about the orange. . .

You CAN NOT! It is impossible to stop. .  UNLESS- . . Close your eyes and start thinking about an apple. The shape, red shades, stem, color, the odor, the taste. ..  Concentrate on an apple. . .  

Now notice- you will forget about the orange!  Works every time.

The KNOWN FACT about the brain (Sports Psychology Study):  You can only fully concentrate on ONE THING at a time.  

Translate that to hunting with a bow (and even much that is written on archery threads!). As the deer approaches and the moment of crisis comes we are told to: watch the animal, look for body language, watch the twig, wait for the right angle, bend at waist, pick a spot, steady bow arm, draw, aim, yada yada yada. . .  not to mention it is the biggest buck of my life, never seen one like this, it is "him," etc etc.  

It factually becomes IMPOSSIBLE for you to concentrate/focus on the needed task when your are trying to process all of that info. at the same time. GUYS- it is IMPOSSIBLE for 99% of humans to think about all those tips while trying to concentrate on an arrow to a spot!  

I obviously write this as I have observed the results in other high level athletes, and benefited myself when I regularly apply it.  I know an Olympian, a world champion, who almost left his sport due to the panic/performance failure- UNTIL he understood and mastered the mental/brain training.  Now he applies it to shooting pool, golf, you name it.  It is not that he is tougher than the rest of us- or some new age self-pycho baloney.  HE UNDERSTANDS how his brain works.

I have taken a few dozen men hunting over the past decade or so.  I sat in the same tree as many of them.  Using compounds and even a crossbow, I have watched men miss at least 10 PY deer in my presence, while only seeing 2 deer taken.  Think about it- How can a guy miss a MOOSE or ELK at 10 yds with a compound?  It is actually quite explainable. They may have perfect/textbook physical form, but they have NOT developed a year round mental/brain training into their regular practice. When the moment comes, their brain resorts to its normal function under pressure- doing the very things it was created to do.  And the wheels come off!  Been there done that!!!!        

AGAIN- this is FAR less a physical issue, a method issue, a form issue, etc etc.  Good grief- many top PGA guys are known for their UNORTHODOX form. This is understanding how our brains actually work and building this into our year round training and enjoyment of the bow.

I am not a master by any means.  But as you can tell by reading, I am convinced that much of our answer lays in this field now minimally addressed in 95% of the archery advice and literature.        

Merry CHRISTmas.  Good hunting.  Have a great NEW YEAR.  Read Kidwell and build some type of this training into your New year.  

Dan in KS

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2015, 01:13:00 PM »
For me, I practice a lot, so that when I hunt, it is automatic. When I am at the shop practicing, I can pick apart just about every aspect of every shot I make. Sometimes, the arrow goes right close to where I want, but I am P/O'ed at myself because I know I did something wrong in the execution.

When I hunt, I am so focused on the animal, I can rarely ever tell you anything about the mechanics of the shot after I have let the arrow loose.

I get nervous just like anyone when I see a critter I think I will shoot. It is a little worse on really big critters, or when it has been a long dry spell between shooting critters. But, something happens when I make the decision that it is time to shoot. I no longer feel any nerves as I draw and shoot. I know that I am still nervous, that my heart rate and breathing are elevated, but I feel as calm as a cucumber.

As soon as I see my arrow disappear in the critter is when the shakes really hit me!

Also, I do NOT always make a perfect shot! Sometimes I make a bad shot and it is my fault, sometimes the critter reacts and turns my perfect shot into a not-so-perfect shot. I absolutely hate it when a critter is lost, and I do lose one from time to time. Nothing burns me up worse than for that to happen.

I hope you get a system that works well for you figured out.

Bisch

P.S. - I typed out my post before going back and reading everyone elses posts. If I would have read them first, I could have just quoted Tim's post above (4 above this one), and not had to type anything! This paragraph by Tim, really sums up how I look at it:

I am more of instinctive guy and have always excelled at hand eye coordination activities....golf, baseball, throwing a football etc. I rarely over analyze anything, I just do it. I have practiced gap shooting for months but for the life of me I cannot use the tip to shoot a deer. When I just let things happen I rarely miss. When I start thinking everything goes to hell. How are you wired? Don't force a style that just won't work.  

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©