3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Your thoughts: A good, inexpensive youth bow?  (Read 592 times)

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
Your thoughts: A good, inexpensive youth bow?
« on: October 17, 2007, 12:07:00 AM »
I'm looking for a way to help a young man (13) in our church whose dad has no part in his life.  His mom told me this week that he wants to learn to hunt with a bow, and since I'm a friend of theirs and the only one around who does much archery... can I teach him?  

I think it's a great idea, and a great way for him to have fun and learn a skill, without getting into trouble.  So I'm looking for some advice on where to find a decent bow that's not too expensive, but good enough to learn with.  I've always focused on high-end equipment (although I'm no pro), so don't know much about lower-to-midrange bows.  I'm looking for a recurve, used is fine, 35-40#, up to 60".  I'm thinking $100-$150 max.  Any ideas?  Can I get away cheaper without regretting my purchase?
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline dorris

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your thoughts: A good, inexpensive youth bow?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 12:14:00 AM »
a bear grizzly or kodiak older bow would be a excellent bow to start they soot well and are useally in your price range . there are some martins and others out there that would do well . put a add on the classified section on here and I am sure you will find one that will fit what you need .there is a elk ridge bow on the classifieds for sale around 38 lbs i beleive I had one and there a great custum bow and a inexpensive one at that and has the preformance of a higher end bow .
" If I fail trying my hardest did I really fail ? "

Jeff Dorris
11/16/1970 ~ 3/30/2010
Rest In Peace

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 05:41:00 AM »
I have bought a couple lower poundage used bows for under $80 One was a bear and the other a Ben Pearson. There are a lot of good used bow out there look on the action site, if they aren't highly collectible you can do well there.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 07:20:00 AM »
Archie
I am sure someone here has a bow for the boy. I will see what I have at home this evening. I know I have heavier bows but I am not sure about the 35-40lb range, if I have something it is his.

Terry
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 10:11:00 AM »
Maddog Traditional Archery  www.tradstore.com/mta
Mike will make you a custom at that price.  I have one and another on the way.  Great bows, great guy.
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 12:58:00 PM »
Sipsey River Archery usually has a good supply of kid bows at under $100. I think they are a sponsor too.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 01:45:00 PM »
Check the big on line auction sites.  What you described for weight puts you smack into the middle of the cheap price range.  That is, lower than what most grownups want for a hunting weight bow and therefore in less demand so you can get them cheap...

I've been stocking up on bows for my kids so that I have them when they grow into them.  I've bought about 8 or so recurves in that weight range in the last couple of years and never paid more than $80 for any of them.  We're talking good to near mint condition, used, older recurves like Herters, Wing, Pearson etc.  Even got a couple of Bear bows in that weight and price range but the Bears tend to run a bit highter in price due to demand with collectors.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 02:07:00 PM »
Great Northern Bowhunting makes a great youth bow which they sell at cost.

http://www.gnbco.com/

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 07:17:00 PM »
Howdy Arch.
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »
Guys, thanks for all the help.  I've got some good leads now.  Things look to be shaping up pretty good.  Thanks!

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »
What's his draw length?  I have a pearson cougar 44@28 62" that I'd be more than happy to send to you if you want it.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline Archer Fanatic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 12:06:00 AM »
I have a Hoyt Master t/d that he can have.  It is 58" in lenght and 40# @ 28" draw. It does need a new dacron string though. If you will e-mail me you address I will get it in the mail next week. Archer Fanatic (Mike Mahan)

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2007, 12:11:00 AM »
Check gilalongbowcompany.com as well. I have a Gila bow and LOVE it.

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 11:12:00 PM »
Hey, everyone --

I couldn't have asked for a better bunch of information.  And the guys who have offered to give bows to me for him.... thanks a bunch.  You're obviously not of the selfish crowd!

Here's the update:  I talked with him (let's call him John) Saturday and set up a time to go out and figure out what length he draws and an approximate draw weight.  Then when I called before picking him up, there was no answer on the phone.  I haven't seen or heard from him since, and neither he nor his mom was in church Sunday (which is a little odd).  I explained the situation to a guy at a local "bulk" sporting goods store and he said that he'll let us determine his draw length there and play with some draw weights, even though we won't be getting a bow from them.  This is going to be a learning process for me, as well, but I'm already enjoying it.  

If we do take anyone up on your offer for a bow for him, I want it to fit him, and be useful.  My guess is that he'll draw at 24-26" and be able to handle 30-35 lbs.  He's 5' tall and of average size and weight.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©