3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: arrow speed  (Read 889 times)

Offline Arrowcraft

• Trad Bowhunter
arrow speed
« on: December 24, 2015, 12:06:00 PM »
All things being equal and they rarely ever are which would cast arrows faster a recurve or long bow ?

Re: arrow speed
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 12:19:00 PM »
It all depends on the design of said recurve or longbow.

Bisch

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 12:45:00 PM »
A good test would be to shoot an ILF with the same brand and poundage recurve limbs and longbow limbs. Same riser and arrow.

I believe a recuve stores a little more energy pound for pound but really not sure.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »
It can depend on recently made bows or "vintage " ones. If "vintage " recurves would be my choice of speed. R/D LB's changed that IMO.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 12:51:00 PM »
Vol. 1 of the Traditional Bowyer's Bible is an awesome read and would answer so many questions in addition to this question.  "Generally" one would surmise that a recurve would be quicker/more efficient...but as previously stated there is much nuance in design at play here and today's hybrid longbows throw a wrench in the discussion to some degree.  Again, TBB Vol.1 is a great resource.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 01:05:00 PM »
My fastest recurve is a couple of fps faster than my fastest D and R. Not a whole lot of difference. However if you go to a Hill style bow there is a lot of difference in speed.
Not enough to make a difference at normal hunting ranges IMHO though.

Where the big difference come into effect is if you want to shoot a lighter weight bow and have good penetrating power. I think that other than that speed is overrated up to 25 yards trajectory wise,

Along with many others I will take quietness and a really good shooting bow over a super fast bow that is loud or has poor shooting qualities.
but will also always take the fastest bow I can get that has great shooting qualities.

When choosing a longbow vs recurve. I love them both and have both. The longbow is a lot simpler though because you do not need a stringer and have way fewer problems with things such as limb twist ect.

I would tend to shoose the mild D and R longbow as the best of both worlds. I call them the ultimate hunting bow.

God bless, Steve

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »
^^^ What Steve said for me!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 02:09:00 PM »
A well designed recurve will usually out perform (as far as speed) a well designed longbow.

You can add variables and what-ifs all day long, and I'm sure people will. But the simple answer to your question is a recurve

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 02:11:00 PM »
I can't remember where I read it or I would post a link, but I read once where a guy tested this theory.  He shot several different bows, but they were all in pairs of one recurve and one longbow of the same draw weight.  He shot a variety of arrow weights from around 8 grains/# up to around 16-17 grains/#.  At the lighter arrow weights, the recurves shot faster than the longbows at every draw weight.  As the arrow weight went up, the gap narrowed.  At the heaviest arrow weights, the speed was almost equal with the longbow actually passing the recurves in a couple of the equal weight pairs.  I'm not sure how well the test was carried out or how accurate the data was, but it would suggest that longbows achieve their best efficiency with heavier arrows than a recurve.  I guess you'd still say the recurve is faster, but maybe not necessarily more powerful as far as energy/penetration goes.  It's all in finding the best combination for a particular bow.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 12:11:00 AM »
Matt, I have observed that very phenomena when comparing ASL styles with recurves.  Generally the ASL shines with heavy (especially very heavy) arrows.

The static recurve seemed to me to be right behind the ASLs with heavy arrows, but that was with a sample of one.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2015, 04:16:00 PM »
With all things being equal, which they rarely are, which is faster? a car or a pick up truck?   :dunno:

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2015, 05:10:00 PM »
It all depends. I have been in some really quick Pickups and some really quick cars. I would have to say when you really got up to top speeds my 65 GTO  was pretty quick. The new Challengers might be a tad bit quicker though. LOL. But put a car and a pickup on a deep rutted mud track and see which one is fastest.
There seems to be a purpose and a place where  speed doesn't matter as much as what you are going to do with it.
HMMM
 I may become a philosopher . Hey!!

God bless, Steve

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2015, 05:59:00 PM »
Overall a recurve is quicker unless it isn't.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2015, 08:46:00 PM »
All things being equal, they should be about the same.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2015, 11:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Arrowcraft:
All things being equal and they rarely ever are which would cast arrows faster a recurve or long bow ?
Definately a recurve.  But if you include reflex/deflex American flatbows in with the longbow definition it narrows the difference to nothing.    ;)
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2015, 11:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by WESTBROOK:
All things being equal, they should be about the same.
'Cept, they never seem to be equal.   :)

In 1977, the fastest production vehicle built in the USA was a Chevrolet 1/2 ton pickup with a .454 under the Hood.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2015, 06:20:00 AM »
Regarding to arrow speed I found interesting some datas I got.

I just received a heavier set of limbs for a coming BIG exotic game this summer. I play around set up to assess "real " performance out of my bow and shooting.
I found an arrow that fly very well for me and allow me shooting out to 30-35yards with good confidence. Bow is 65# at 31" and as I draw a tad further I am getting 67# on my digital scale.
I tested 2 set up and will end with the " lighter" 800 gr plus a little external footing

GT big game 100 shaft for both
Brass inserts, point and matching broadheads will be from Tuffheads

First set up 200 gr solid glue in brass insert and 225 gr point: very tough combo

Second set up : 50 gr brass insert 100 gr steel adaptator 300 gr point : less strong as 50 gr brass insert is the weak part

La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2015, 06:24:00 AM »
Here are datas from shooting 12 yard to a small spot and hitting chrono 1 yard in front of bow
2 cold shot ( no warm up) in a row
It is very important if you want to assess YOUR arrow speed from a bow and arrow combo to shoot it without any warm up ( the way you will be when that BIG boy will come      :D    )  

Light 801 gr set up

Heavier 829 gr.

Bow is in ready to hunt set up ( brace height, wool string wrap and string silencer, bow tip rubber protection, bow quiver on) and yet very quiet. Pierre from SBDbowstring made me a wonderful 14 stands string.

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2015, 06:35:00 AM »
And believe me, after playing like this with a lot of bows from famous bowyers names,  getting that way ( hand shot, cold shot, accurate shot, bow in hunting setting) 189 fps out of a 67-68# bow with a 800 gr arrow is A LOT of bow performance

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2015, 11:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by hybridbow hunter:
And believe me, after playing like this with a lot of bows from famous bowyers names,  getting that way ( hand shot, cold shot, accurate shot, bow in hunting setting) 189 fps out of a 67-68# bow with a 800 gr arrow is A LOT of bow performance
You can hunt anything on this planet, with confidence, with that setup!!!

Bisch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©