3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: venison flavor buck vs doe  (Read 1049 times)

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: venison flavor buck vs doe
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2015, 09:39:00 AM »
When I first started deer hunting I would only shoot bucks. Some had a strong gamy taste. It was almost to the point that my wife didn't want me bringing them home. When I started bow hunting I started shooting does. Much better in my opinion. Although I have shot bucks that taste fine.  Guess it depends on the time of year and what they have been eating. That being said, I have never shot a doe that had that gamely taste. For that reason I prefer to shoot does.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2015, 03:57:00 PM »
I've killed some bucks that are pretty gamey and no they weren't gut shot but I unscientificaly chalk it up to hormone levels.  I personally think does are better tasting.
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2015, 07:50:00 AM »
Glands and their removal, or not. I don't know of many processors that know where all of them are and how to get them out, nor would they take that extra 10 minutes to do so. Time is money. My dad does take the time. He taught many a men how to process deer because after bringing just one to him they never wanted anybody else to touch them again. Details in handling is what you taste or don't. From field to butcher block. I know I spout off about meat handling quite often, but I'm passionate about the truths. Dad has a book that is 4-6" thick. It describes breaking down individual muscles in cattle and game. Not simply de-boning them. This is where you learn where good and bad tastes come from. Grind up a gland or two in 35# of meat and the whole batch tastes like pine cones or sage or whatever else your local critters eat.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2015, 08:25:00 AM »
I'm of the opinion that there is definitely a difference in flavor between large bucks and small bucks or does. I've processed all my own deer for 30+ years, and yes I do remove the fat and glands. I also cool and age them. I don't know if it is testosterone or what. Also I think there is something to be said about how they die. (Drop dead and don't bleed out, Run like hell after shot or Not knowing they even got shot and just fall over after blood loss!) This and field dressing I think have a lot to do with the end product. Just my opinion.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2015, 08:49:00 AM »
You got that right John , if they run like hell the muscles tense up and all the blood pumps out. Not how you want your red meat to die. That's why they stuff a rod in a steers brain. End it quick and no running. White meat is preferred bled out, obviously. Most of us have butchered chickens and hogs I'm sure  :)

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2015, 09:42:00 AM »
I have never had the courage (or the cooler) to hang a deer for a week, so I can only testify to my experience which is that, given proper field dressing, younger deer taste and chew better than older ones, and especially better than mature bucks who have gone through the rut.

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2015, 02:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by huntryx:
I have never had the courage (or the cooler) to hang a deer for a week, so I can only testify to my experience which is that, given proper field dressing, younger deer taste and chew better than older ones, and especially better than mature bucks who have gone through the rut.
Beef in the grocery store has been hanging for a week, if not longer.

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2015, 03:04:00 PM »
All of the above affect flavor of venison. Also. all other things being equal, a doe with no fawn will taste better than one with a fawn which will taste better than one with two fawns and a deer in good health will taste better than a deer that is diseased or chronically impaired.   It's a lot easier to ruin a deer with poor handling than to cherry pick one for best flavor.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline ZSL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2015, 11:36:00 PM »
There is a lot of great advise on here already about proper handling post kill. I agree with all of it whole heartidly. One extra thing I haven't read in the replies so far is to bring several pairs of surgical gloves. I usually use at least three pairs for gutting almost any animal from Javalina, to deer to antelope. One pair is used to remove the external scent glands and then discarded. The next pair is used to do the rectum and discarded. and then another pair for entrail removal.

Another important factor in meat taste is to remember that meat is like a sponge...absorbing flavor from what ever it touches. so be careful not to touch the hide, horns ground etc. and then the meat. or be careful of laying meat in meat sacks or on fabric that has been washed in strong detergents, because the meat will pick up that flavor as well. I have taken this same great care on "stink pig" javalina and some of the smelliest antelope and ended up with excellent table fare.

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2015, 08:35:00 AM »
I hanged a venison from Nov 15 until Jan 5 in my dads walk-in. The outside was black, the inside was pure venison gold, wow. If you have the patience and facilities to try it, I would. Just be sure its skinned, hung head first and THOROUGHLY rinsed out. Dad's cooler ran a steady 36-38 degrees.

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2015, 08:56:00 AM »
I don't know who listens to podcasts, but recently there was a good one on just this subject, and on venison cooking. The "Wired to Hunt" podcast, #84 "Taking Your Venison Game to the Next Level", December 17th. You can still listen to it if interested.

Yow, Pearl Drums, you are brave!

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2015, 11:36:00 AM »
One big thing not mentioned that I feel is the deal breaker for flavor is whether or not you or your processor uses a saw to make the cuts.

The single biggest improvement I ever saw in the flavor of my venison was when we started cutting up or own. At first my brother and I attributed the better flavor to us being picky about sanitation and trimming but eventually we figured out it was because we didn't own a meat saw and did the entire job with just our knives.  Well, that and we let our deer hang at least 4 days weather permitting.

When a processor makes all those nice store cuts like chops and steaks, they do it with a band saw. Besides not knowing the condition of the previous deer that was cut on the saw, the big issue is the bone marrow and bone meal grit that gets tracked across the whole cut by the saw blade. You know, that pasty pink slimy stuff your mom taught you to scrape of with a butter knife after the steak thaws...?  Is not that bad at first but the longer the meat is in the freezer the worse the gamy taste gets.

Since I started cutting up my own by just deboning with a knife this has become a non issue.  Works for me!
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2015, 11:51:00 AM »
A huge amount of good information.  I agree with the aging being a big help in the tenderizing of the deer.  There is a reason that prime beef cuts are aged.  I am also with Dave on the boning out of venison being crucial to good taste. Marrow( which is a form of fat) and fat and silver skin all add to the "gamey" flavor most people associate with venison.  Add proper field care and quick and proper cooling and I don't think you will be able to tell the difference if things like stres, quick kill and diet are not a factor.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Sharp Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2015, 02:24:00 PM »
Them old long neck does eat good!
PBS Associate Member
Lone Star Bow Hunters Association

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2015, 07:07:00 PM »
What DB said... Penn State Extension published a study that deer fat turns rancid in the freezer...

All that marrow spread over the meat with a bone saw is marinading the meat in bone marrow... As a kid, we'd fight for cow or pig round bones in chops to suck out the marrow...try THAT on a deer...gag a maggot!

Stinks too...so what smells bad eventually tastes bad...

I bone out all my meat for 35 yrs and don't waste freezer space on bones!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2015, 11:19:00 AM »
I am usually so happy about getting a deer, that no matter how they taste, I savor it.  Stronger animals give me a reason to try different recipes and spices.

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2015, 01:55:00 PM »
I've come to like the young tender ones that run to the truck

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2015, 03:57:00 PM »
I think its all in how its processed
Had good....had bad

If you take it to the processer I wonder at times even if you get your own deer.

I personally dont like deer as well as I do say (rabbit or squirrel)
I can take deer meat or leave it , but the other two I wont have left overs:)
Slickhead

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2015, 10:53:00 PM »
I don't saw the bones either, all Knife work.  I also cold pack a lot of my deer and that will tenderize the toughest cuts.  Big bucks I generally make burger, sausage and jerky out of except for the loin. Does and young bucks get steaks and cold packed.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2015, 03:01:00 AM »
I follow the same advice that Cyclic-Rivers posted. Take away as much silver skin and fat as you can. A family friend who was a chef told us that deer fat will spoil the meat taste even in the freezer. One thing i also do that i didn't see mentioned is i soak the quartered meat in big coolers of ice water for two days changing water to rid it of blood. And even hairs will float to the top. Just skim it off. I've had friends who have hunted all their life and couldn't tell it was venison.
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©