3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Picture review of my 2015 bear hunt  (Read 664 times)

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Picture review of my 2015 bear hunt
« on: December 26, 2015, 08:56:00 AM »
Early June found me back in Manitoba.  I've been bear hunting this fine Province many times since Ontario closed the spring bear hunt in 1999.  Good news though, it's looking pretty likely that Ontario will be re-instating the spring hunt this year.  Keeping our fingers crossed....  The area we hunt in Manitoba is on the west side of the Duck Mountain Provincial Park.  It's a beautiful place.  I should have taken more pictures this year but I'll share what I have.

This year I went knowing that I was only going to shoot if a giant showed himself.  Spoiler alert....it didn't happen.

First sit.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Picture review of my 2015 bear hunt
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 08:57:00 AM »
:campfire:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 09:11:00 AM »
I was on stand for about an hour when a nice colour bear showed but stayed clear of the bait site.  It looked like a nice bear that I may have taken a crack at.  After he left the area a big sow and 2 cubs came in.  The sow is over my shoulder in this pic.

What a great mother.  I witnessed her caring for her cubs daily.  One day I watched her and the two cubs playing for about an hour.  She stood over them rolling them over side to side like she was rolling a ball.  Just awesome to witness.   She was tough too.  She would run off all comers then go back and mind her cubs.  She was the boss around this bait until a young boar came in and decided to test her.  He was a bit smaller than her but he let her know he was boss.  Witnessing a bear fight will get your blood pumping!!!!  After that she would stay away anytime another bear approached.

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 09:17:00 AM »
:campfire:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »
I had a pretty nice black come in several times that was testing my resolve to hold out for a giant.  Here his is working on the roll barrel.  The barrel is filled with grain and only has one hole in the side about an 1" or so in diameter.  This works great.  The bears will roll it back and forth to get the grain to drop out of the small hole.  

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 09:28:00 AM »
This is a sow that was a regular around the bait.  Bears are so hard to judge.  The first time she was coming in I started to get ready.  In the timber she looked huge.  Then she showed herself and promptly did this.

She acted like a circus bear.  She would climb all the way into the barrel head first with her back legs sticking up.  Fun to watch her.

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 09:33:00 AM »
Very cool!

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 09:39:00 AM »
She was in heat.  Mid week she had two young boars chasing her around.  I actually got footage of one of them let's just say, "succeeding in his quest"... lol.  I was really hoping she would draw in the big boy but it didn't happen.  On my last day I had a beautiful colour phase boar come in.  I'm pretty sure this is the bear I saw from a distance on day one.  It took him this long to feel comfortable enough to show up again for me.  I think I drew back on him about 3 times but just couldn't do it.  He has sooo much potential.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »
You have this story telling thing nailed. Well done and look forward to following along.   :thumbsup:

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2015, 09:50:00 AM »
I read a great story yesterday for the first time. It was by Charlie Lamb about meeting Fred Bear by chance at a place called Gordon Bentley's Bear Paw Landing in Wabigoon, Ontario. Ever been there? His stories captivated me.

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2015, 09:51:00 AM »
Although I didn't put any bear meat in the freezer I had a fantastic hunt.   I think a total of about 8-10 different bears were hitting this bait.  

Here are a couple final pics.  I hope everyone had a great Christmas and has a safe and happy New Year.  Joe

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2015, 09:53:00 AM »
:clapper:

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2015, 09:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by Possum Head:
I read a great story yesterday for the first time. It was by Charlie Lamb about meeting Fred Bear by chance at a place called Gordon Bentley's Bear Paw Landing in Wabigoon, Ontario. Ever been there? His stories captivated me.
No, Possum Head, I've never been to Wabigoon.  Closest I've been to that area is Thunderbay on  moose hunts.  Ontario is a huge Province and I live way down near the furthest southern part of it.

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2015, 09:55:00 AM »
I have only been bear hunting once, but I plan to go again. It was a blast!

Great pics!

Bisch

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2015, 10:03:00 AM »
:thumbsup:  thanks for the story and great pics ! Happy new year. See you in LA!

Wayne
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing your hunt.
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2015, 10:12:00 AM »
Great story! I've never been on a stand hunting bears before as its spt n stalk only here in MT, but it's on my bucket list!
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2015, 10:43:00 AM »
Great pictures... been a few years since I hunted Bears. Part of the fun of hunting over bait is getting to see the interaction between bears, they can be some comical critters.
   Thanks for sharing the hunt.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2015, 11:11:00 AM »
Beautiful pics! Joe many, many folks would have dropped the string on that chocolate boar. Kudos to you for showing restraint. He wasn't your bear  :)  Happy New Year buddy!
Mike Davenport

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2015, 01:41:00 PM »
Thanks to all.  

Thanks Mike.  I've killed several blacks over the years and I told my Dad on this hunt that it was going to have to be a really big bear to make me shoot.  He has taken two brutes the two previous years (the lucky guy).  I hope you and your family have a great New Year too.  

Wayne, I'm counting the days till the LA hunt.  Looking forward to meeting you face to face.  Will you be bringing the Kwyk Styk that you bought from me?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©