3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: convincing someone they don't need so much poundage  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
convincing someone they don't need so much poundage
« on: December 26, 2015, 08:58:00 PM »
Hey guys

So I finally convinced my father to put away his wheelie bow and go back to his recurve he got some 40+ years ago.

Problem,!his old bow is a 45# grizzly (great bow, I know) he's and ex-powerlifter who's had 4 shoulder surgeries (2 on each side) and is CONVINCED he needs more bow (hunting 40 years with a wheelie bow will do that to a guy) I know as many of you do if he gets a heavier bow he will probably end up hurting him self and take away the enjoyment of traditional archery.

What I need from you guys: I've done many searches and can't find those threads about using bows under 50# and what not. So if you know the links please post them here or any thread links that pertain to this subject. Also feel free to post any low poundage success stories you have, what you use ect.

I'll share what you guys give me with him in an attempt to guide him in the right direction. Also when this thread goes stagnant I'll change the name to something more fitting so someone down the road might find all this info easier

Thanks!!!
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: convincing someone they don't need so much poundage
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 09:55:00 PM »
This link  is labeled as "40# to 45# kills.

Whenever I hear about someone being concerned about using a traditional bow and the draw weight necessary to kill big game, the thought that comes to my mind is "walk down there 30 yards and stand there while I shoot at you".  

Not the thing that you really want to do to your father (or any other person) but, it would seem to get the point across.  

A good sized whitetail deer will weigh about what one of us weighs.  If we're not willing to stand there and take an arrow, we shouldn't be worried about most big game in North America.  Certainly a moose or elk or a big bear will weigh more but the point is the same.  I'll bet you can find plenty of elk / moose / bear killed with "low" poundage bows.

Hope this helps
homebru

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 10:11:00 PM »
Tell your Dad that states set a minimum poundage for bows to hunt with.  This is what there research shows as a minimum ethical bow hunting poundage.  I believe several states are as low as 35 lbs.  45 lbs. bows have killed thousands of game animals with no issue.  It's about arrow placement not poundage and there is a chance if your over bowed you may not be as accurate or as consistent of a shot.

I love bows from 45 to 49 and don't buy into more pounds the better.  But, I am hunting deer and 3D targets not moose or buffalo.

47@28 drawn to 29 with 225 total point weight and over 510 total arrow weight hits with a Wack!

Pretty cool your Dad is going back to Trad!!!
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline Basstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 06:42:00 AM »
I wish your father was near me here in KY.  Heck, he and I may even be near the same age.  

I think a lot of us guys, especially old school have this concern of enough poundage.  I had  it for years with bows, firearms, vehicles, bass boats, etc.  I guess it is a deep down, always wanting more and better thing.

I just had Mike Mecredy build a Maddog Prairie Predator for me and had to "MAKE" myself order a lower poundage bow because, much like your father, my subconscious wanted to order higher poundage.

BUT......I held my nose, closed my eys, and had Mike build the bow in #41 at 28" and I draw about 27"-27.5".

If your father could shoot this bow and see what a "Thwack" the arrows have a 20 yards, he would have zero concerns about the killing ability of a bow in this poundage range.

Please feel free to have him contact me personally if I may help in any way.  He and I can discuss archery "AND" shoulder issues.   :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 08:00:00 AM »
I just made a 24" long osage self bow. It draws 11# @ 11". For arrows I used 12" bamboo skewers with a 25 grain 5/16" square nut screwed on the tip for weight and a stopper. At 5 yards it blew through a double wall cardboard box, a square hole to match the nut tip......11# @ 11". That about sums it up.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 08:39:00 AM »
Homebru sent a wonderful link look at the first kill on the last page   :bigsmyl:

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 01:29:00 PM »
Have him set up his favorite target bag and shoot a razor sharp broadhead at it. He might develop a little more respect for the "soft shooters".
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 05:03:00 PM »
Thanks you guys for the replying thus far Homebru thanks for the link...
 as you can see I changed the name and might do a couple more times to see if I can get any more responses
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 05:55:00 PM »
After growing comfortable with a compound I think most people struggle with the low speed they're getting from traditional bows when they switch. I know I did, 45 is plenty though.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 07:16:00 PM »
Don't say anything.  Let a grown man think for himself.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 07:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by BWallace10327:
Agree!!

Offline durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 07:59:00 PM »
give him as much info as he'll let you then back off and let him have at it.

Offline TxSportsman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 08:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Homebru:
 This link  is labeled as "40# to 45# kills.

Whenever I hear about someone being concerned about using a traditional bow and the draw weight necessary to kill big game, the thought that comes to my mind is "walk down there 30 yards and stand there while I shoot at you".  

Not the thing that you really want to do to your father (or any other person) but, it would seem to get the point across.  

A good sized whitetail deer will weigh about what one of us weighs.  If we're not willing to stand there and take an arrow, we shouldn't be worried about most big game in North America.  Certainly a moose or elk or a big bear will weigh more but the point is the same.  I'll bet you can find plenty of elk / moose / bear killed with "low" poundage bows.

Hope this helps
homebru
That's a pretty funny and great response. I think I'll have to use that in the future!
Sunset Hill - "Four Count"

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2015, 08:30:00 PM »
I'm pretty much in agreement with this^^^. If you talk him into doing something he does not want to, the first time something goes wrong, he is going to blame it on the low poundage, even though we all know that most all the time it is due to some other factor!!!

Bisch

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2015, 08:31:00 PM »

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2015, 08:32:00 PM »
Dangit,   x 4

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2015, 10:27:00 PM »
X5 - Agreed 1000%.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline ZSL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2015, 10:51:00 PM »
last season a good friend in NM Put down a nice bull elk from 25 yards with a 39# Ghost Maker long bow made by Bill Vanbuskirk of Farmington NM. The first arrow went high and took the bull in the spine, which downed the bull in its tracks. She then promptly walked up and put another in the chest for good measure.

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2015, 10:58:00 PM »
I started to truely enjoy traditional archery again when I put away the 75 lb bow I bought when I was 22 (1980) and dropped to 60 lbs. Even that is getting to be a pinch much but I hunt mostly elk and really like a heavy arrow.

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2015, 12:28:00 AM »
I actually just switched from heavy poundage bow recently.  New bow is not in yet but I bit the bullet and lowered down to 45 pounds we shall see how I like it. Maybe the answer is to point him towards a take down bow so he can go down if necessary without having to buy another bow.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©