3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Inexpensive carbons  (Read 654 times)

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Inexpensive carbons
« on: October 17, 2007, 10:07:00 AM »
Which inexpensive plain black carbon shafts are spined close to a heritage 150?
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Inexpensive carbons
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 11:31:00 AM »
"Inexpensive" and "carbon arrow" never seem to go together. Unless you consider their durability and cost in the long run.

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »
I've been away from traditonal(actually all archery) for some time now so I'm in the dark about about anything that's not wood or aluminum. Could someone direct me to some material that would bring me up to snuff. How do you figure out everything you need to do to get the right arrow the right lenght for the bow you're shooting? I remember with woodies I started with spine then started cutting the shaft a little at a time until it hit the sweet spot. That method would seem terribley time consuming if you had to glue up an insert each time. Thanks! I need the readers digest version.PLEASE!
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Ol Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »
Go to BassPro and buy their RedHead 250's  About 49.00/doz.
Getting older I tend to talk to myself but, at least I know that I am as smart as the one I am talking to.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 12:23:00 PM »
Sipsey Archery...blems $39.95, non-blems $44.95 GT5575 and GT7595. I buy the blems and they work great. Just started fletching some 7595s from them.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline wildcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »
last year i bought some carbon express 30-50's at walmart on clearance $2 each.
Wildcat
>>>--------->

Live life so that the preacher won't have to lie at your funeral...

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 01:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mudd:
 I remember with woodies I started with spine then started cutting the shaft a little at a time until it hit the sweet spot. That method would seem terribley time consuming if you had to glue up an insert each time.
You got it.... still do that.  Savings is reportedly in durability

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »
According to CE's web site, the 150's spine at .487 and weight 10 gr/inch. Getting the spine you need in a different shaft isn't a problem, but matching the weight may be difficult.

Beman ICS Venture 500's (.500 spine) are less than $50/dozen, but they only weigh 7.3 grains/inch. You could always more up to a 400 (.400 spine) and use a heavier point if need be.

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 01:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by snag:
Sipsey Archery...blems $39.95, non-blems $44.95 GT5575 and GT7595. I buy the blems and they work great. Just started fletching some 7595s from them.
What he said. You cant beat that price, or their service.  :thumbsup:
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline jbb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 01:21:00 PM »
I like those CX Heritage shafts a lot.  Not saying they are better than any other shaft, it is just I know what I am getting with them.  If you search around, you can usually find them for $60 or so for a dozen shafts.  That isn't too bad when you consider how few you break.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
Call John at Sipsey River.

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 03:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by jbb:
I like those CX Heritage shafts a lot.  Not saying they are better than any other shaft, it is just I know what I am getting with them.  If you search around, you can usually find them for $60 or so for a dozen shafts.  That isn't too bad when you consider how few you break.
Where did you find them for $60 a dz?   :eek:  The best Ive found them has been $70dz.

Thanks
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 04:37:00 PM »
...I remember with woodies I started with spine then started cutting the shaft a little at a time until it hit the sweet spot. That method would seem terribley time consuming if you had to glue up an insert each time. Thanks! I need the readers digest version.PLEASE!
God bless,Mudd
mudd...most carbon arrows use press fit nocks that insert into the shafting by hand.  most guys glue in the insert, bare shaft, and pull the nock out, cut a little off, press the nock back in, and bare shaft again.  once you get the bare shafts flying right, then fletch.

make sense?

also....I wasn't sure I was gonna like carbons either, so was looking to start cheap and bought the clearance CX terminators 4560s sold at wally world for a couple bucks each.  found that the length they sell them 'precut/assembled' was far too stiff for my mid 50s longbow and recurve.  ended up tinkering with point weight until I broke the stiffness barrier.  ended up with 200 grain field points and 100 grain brass inserts.  I just made some home made lighting nocks following links on another thread here and if I wasn't sure they flew dead-straight before,  I am now  :)

(now using 125 grn WWs with 75 grn steel adaptors for hunting so they match the 200grn field points.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 04:43:00 PM »
"Hickstick"........I love that handle! One of the best I've seen!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Zmonster:

Originally posted by jbb:
Where did you find them for $60 a dz?    :eek:   The best Ive found them has been $70dz.

Thanks [/b]
My best for 250's has been $68 - maybe that was the "or so" ($8) part of his quote......  :D
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2007, 05:37:00 PM »
thanks....wish I could say there was some grand intent....but the really wasn't.   about 10 years ago when signing up for another trad archery board that will remain nameless  :) ....I was making shagbark hickory bows and didn't feel typing in hickorystick each time   :)
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2007, 05:40:00 PM »
Thanks guys.I was actually meaning less expensive than the heritage shafts.I'm shooting them now from one of my bows,but wanted some less expensive black ones to fling.
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

Offline ejes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2007, 06:44:00 PM »
I've been away from traditonal(actually all archery) for some time now so I'm in the dark about about anything that's not wood or aluminum. Could someone direct me to some material that would bring me up to snuff. How do you figure out everything you need to do to get the right arrow the right lenght for the bow you're shooting? I remember with woodies I started with spine then started cutting the shaft a little at a time until it hit the sweet spot. That method would seem terribley time consuming if you had to glue up an insert each time. Thanks! I need the readers digest version.PLEASE!
God bless,Mudd
There is a trick I use to keep from having to glue and remove inserts with carbons for trimming to spine:

1.  Take a plastic grocery bag, or other piece of plastic like that, and put it over the end of the insert that goes down into the shaft,

2.  Put the insert into the arrow with the bag still over the insert,

3.  Pull the arrow from the bag and trim the excess plastic from the insert/arrow.

This puts plastic between the insert and the inner wall of the carbon arrow and causes enough friction to keep the insert intact for arrow tuning and trimming with field points.  Usually this works so well, I have to use pliers on the field tip to pull them back out.  Works like a charm and I have yet to loose an insert or tip in my target as long as it is designed to shoot field points into.  Just give the field point a pull with your fingers to make sure it is seated well before you shoot.  When I finally get to where I want to be, I glue them in.    ;)

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2007, 06:52:00 PM »
I had a feeling that there was some way to get around glueing before finalizing the testing process. Looks like I've now got a couple of choices to use. Good ole American ingenunity!
Thanks!
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »
We just had a Sportsman's Warehouse open here in town.  I can get 6 Gold Tip arrows, fletched with feathers, and cut to my length for ~33 dollars before tax.  That seems to be the best deal I've found unless you can fletch your own.  They are the cheap expedition hunters, but they seem to fly real well for me.  I'm guessing the 3555 would be comparable to the Heritage 150.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©