3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 20 yard group diameter  (Read 1936 times)

Offline AlbertaBow

• Trad Bowhunter
20 yard group diameter
« on: December 27, 2015, 12:58:00 AM »
What kind of 3 arrow groups are you guys shooting at 20 yards?

I know what's average/good/great for a compound bow. But don't know any other traditional shooters.

Always striving for better but just curious what is good for wood arrows and a stickbow.
54" Kempf little grizzly 55 @ 28"

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 20 yard group diameter
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 01:51:00 AM »
I think a good shot would run 6" at 20 or slightly better on good days.

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 02:02:00 AM »
Depends I agree with michael.  But I have had some great groups will all arrows touching at 20. Just depends on the day.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 02:45:00 AM »
I don't know about just 3 arrows.Thats a small sample.

I think it has been stated by some expert shots who shoot the 300 round.That if you shoot a 300 round at 20 yards with a barebow.Which is 60 arrows and average about a 6 inch group over the course of those 60 arrows.You would be considered a consistant and  very good to excellent shot.

Hunting is a different game though and I think keeping  most your arrows (say 80%) in the kill zone shooting a challenging  3-D round at around 20 yards average distance is pretty good shooting.Shooting downhill,uphill,from treestands and around objects or under objects makes for realisticpractice.Kneeling,sitting,Squating,canting the bow to an extreme etc.

In cloverdale IN. at the Cloverdale Nationals for example you got 5 points for any arrow in the kill zone when I shot their.Thier were 40 targets.I would say average distance was around 20 yards.With some farther and some closer.Different targets.Mostly deer sized.But some smaller like groundhogs,coyotes etc.

If you made 32 kill hits that would be 80% and your score would be 160.Thats pretty good their.

90% would be superb IMO and your score would be 180 with 36 kills out of 40 shots.

Backyard shooting is not quite the same.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 03:09:00 AM »
20 yards 4" anything less means something is wrong.

Offline RedStag5728

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 05:23:00 AM »
Typically a group about the size of a pie-plate (9") is average, however I try to strive for above average. I would think as long as both hands can wrap around the group with fingers touching is an excellent group. If you can wrap one hand around the group, might wanna try spear hunting!    :smileystooges:    :knothead:    :bigsmyl:    :archer:
Randy
CTA RedStag LB 64" ntn 57# @ 28"
Hickory SB (#2) 64" ntn 43# @ 28"
Hickory East Woodland SB 65# @ 27"
Darkside Laminated LB 50# @ 28"
Darkside Laminated LB 37# @ 28"

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 06:17:00 AM »
X 2 what Michael said....! I also have shot  better many times....just depends on how well you concentrate...
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 06:28:00 AM »
At the club we hang a 4" diameter  foam rubber apple at 20 yards.  Charge 1 $ for 3 shots at our trad shoot. It is RARE to see someone with 3 consecutive hits......RARE.  This includes quite a few top notch shots. There are some guys who may constantly shoot sub 6" groups at 20 yards...but they are the exception to the rule in my personal opinion. Watching them in competiton has shown me an accurate cross section of shooters. A few of them do even better from the keyboard of their computer...!  :-D

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 06:29:00 AM »
X 2 what Michael said....! I also have shot  better manyy times....just depends on how well you concentrate...

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 07:13:00 AM »
I'd say that depends a lot on how and what your shooting.

Olympic style recurve: You better have sub 4" groups consistently to be "good."

Hunting grade accuracy: Your measure of accuracy would be directly proportional to the game animals you hunt at those distances.  If your a deer hunter 100% of shots in 8" circle is a 100% kill rate.  If your a pig hunter you better step down that plate to a 6" pie plate.  If you want to hunt smaller game then you may need a 2" group to hit consistently at that distance (which I couldn't do).  For hunting grade accuracy, I think under ideal conditions you should be able to consistently put ALL of your arrows in the hole.  Hunting doesn't give ideals very often and sometimes bad shots happen but the range is the time/place to learn your limits as an archer so you can make more responsible decisions in the field.

3D accuracy: If you can consistently hit 80% of targets in the kill zone then you'll likely be highly competitive at your club.

I'd say this is an answer that only you can truly answer because only you truly know what your looking for.  Also, try not to worry about what others are doing so much and just have fun.  Make a goal for yourself and work towards it.  With good form and plenty of repetition it'll all get there with time but it WILL take time to improve so you may as well relax and enjoy the ride.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 07:27:00 AM »
I agree with Michael also.  6" at 20 yards would be pretty good.  If you could shoot the 300 indoor target and score over 200 with your hunting bow, you would be doing well.

Offline AlbertaBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 07:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by jackdaw:
At the club we hang a 4" diameter  foam rubber apple at 20 yards.  Charge 1 $ for 3 shots at our trad shoot. It is RARE to see someone with 3 consecutive hits......RARE.  This includes quite a few top notch shots. There are some guys who may constantly shoot sub 6" groups at 20 yards...but they are the exception to the rule in my personal opinion. Watching them in competiton has shown me an accurate cross section of shooters. A few of them do even better from the keyboard of their computer...!  :-D
Great info in this thread. This is interesting Jack. Thanks
54" Kempf little grizzly 55 @ 28"

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 07:41:00 AM »
Love the keyboard comment, Jackdaw. Aint it the truth. As far as I'm concerned, a 4" group would be considered outstanding at 20 yds. 6" is more normal for me. Some days are good, some not so. Nature of the beast.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2015, 08:39:00 AM »
yesterday I was shooting 4-6 inch groups all day. the day before I would have to measure group size by zip code......

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2015, 08:47:00 AM »
I hope to one day shoot 6" consistently. I dont shoot targets with a bullseye as I make myself pick a spot.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2015, 08:51:00 AM »
On a day when concentration levels are high I would keep most arrows touching or close to it. Some days are just magical. On average days I would say 6" would be about right. Don't even want to remember the bad days. I have since quit shooting groups to keep concentration high and fatigue low and it has helped a lot. Also helped save a bunch of Port Orfords, and I get to burn off some more of this winter fat. This sport is a lot like golf. One nice shot and you a feel like Arnold Palmer.  We just feel like we are Howard Hill!!
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2015, 09:06:00 AM »
Well, I KNOW I can keep all of mine inside a 36" circle at 20 yards, day in and day out.
CHuckC

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2015, 10:01:00 AM »
Try this,
My target is one of those official blue paper targets with the 3 inch white circle. Attach it to the target with some flathead roofing nails.
Get 7 arrows- 3 strikes and 4 balls. A shot in the 3 inch white is a strike.
Pitch/shoot an inning at first. See how many you walk and strike out. It will teach you concentration and not to get behind in the count. I do this with my 50lb centaur/DAS.
Other ideas is tic tac to with two people.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2015, 10:02:00 AM »
X2 Steelhead, groups mean nothing in real life hunting.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
Back in the late 60's and 70's I read a lot of articles that suggested an archer should be able to consistently keep his arrows in the space of a 9" pie plate centered on the kill zone. I have noticed, over the years, that there seems to be two basic mind sets regarding practical accuracy. The die hard hunters, who are not much concerned about 3D competition seem to speak in terms of keeping them in the kill zone. Target oriented shooters lean towards a more specific measurement such as grouping within a designated size circle. These are just my observations and are not necessarily a scientific measurement. My personal tendency seems to be oriented toward a circle group on flat targets and "in the kill zone shots" on 3D or live targets.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©