3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 20 yard group diameter  (Read 1934 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 20 yard group diameter
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2016, 10:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bldtrailer:
     :archer2:  
barring the Robinhood this is my typical 20 yrd group.
That's what i'm taking about.... after you do that a half dozen times and are busting up your knocks regularly, it gets expensive.... you need to shoot different spots.

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2016, 10:04:00 PM »
After roughly a month of shooting a recurve...some days I can put 3 out of 5 of my arrows in a 36''x36'' bag target lol. But the last couple days my 10 yard groups are averaging about 5''. 15 yards probably 8''.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2016, 11:15:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Kirkll:

quote:
      :biglaugh:
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2016, 12:15:00 AM »
Pomegranate or smaller most days on some days ping ball size. Others pumpkin size.  I do not like practicing on paper. I don't think 3D or paper is like hunting shots. But its still good. I practice on ground squirrels mostly. Good at missing them.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »
Grouping with a stick bow (and other weapons I believe) is 95% mental I've convinced myself...and the other 5% is also mental (maybe physical, but if the mind isn't driving the bus, it doesn't matter).

In the past, I fought bow grips every shot...if I pre-loaded tension and it felt bad in my hand, I shot well (with one bow I had and since went bye-bye).

Now with my SAS LB with custom Grip, my consistency has improved.  The grip fits and it's all about concentration and repetitive form...correct form.

When I don't shoot well, I know my mind is wandering and the arrows follow my mind.

Sometimes, shooting well resembles work given the intense concentration required to consistently group well.

On those days that I feel mentally lazy or undisciplined, I just do something else... no sense battling that which refuses to listen to me.  A mind is a terrible thing to waste...    :rolleyes:    :knothead:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2016, 01:26:00 PM »

These were all shot at 20 yards...

I have quit shooting groups after the top picture....  arrows are much too expensive!  It was cool the first time, but not now!   :knothead:  

One arrow at a time and walk up and get it.  That way it is almost like a first shot every time!

Good luck, Shoot straight and God Bless!

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2016, 02:17:00 PM »
In jackdaw's reply concerning accuracy, he ended stating A few of them do even better from the keyboard of their computer...!" The same phenomena often occurs with reported chronograph results.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2016, 04:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by dahyer:
Depends I agree with michael.  But I have had some great groups will all arrows touching at 20. Just depends on the day.
This Is my experience too! Will add, I prefer to shoot three different spots accurately in a row! Same results, less damaged arrows!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2016, 01:06:00 PM »

If you foot both ends   :archer:   you can keep the cost of Robinhoods down   :archer2:
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2016, 09:59:00 PM »
Depends on what I'm shooting at. A white pc of paper on my straw bales seems to keep then tight, about 4-5 " groups. Sometimes nocking some feathers loose.
If I'm shooting at a new bag target that makes that loud sound and only has a round colored bullseye…18"! I can not hit those! Until I dig a hole in the bullseye, then it's like a magnet and I can't miss it.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2016, 10:04:00 PM »

If you foot both ends    :archer:    you can keep the cost of Robinhoods down    :archer2:  
I did foot both ends and my arrow blew right through the footing. And I couldn't even brag about it because I wasn't aiming at the spot I hit, just random bad shot luck!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Babbling Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2016, 08:51:00 AM »
Most shooters with enough age to have shot field archery would relate to having all four of their arrows inside the five ring (inner ring), which was about 6 inches in diameter.  We generally had to pull arrows after two of four shooters to prevent damage. Same with 15 yard target and the bird shot short targets which were up to 10 yards.  My Instructors wife in the early '60's, would shoot into the center of a 45 RPM record for demonstrations, but she was two time National NFAA Champion and would be what you referred to as a great shooter, not the average good shooter, thus my answer would be 6 inches for four arrows.

Offline adamgti

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2016, 08:57:00 AM »
What part of Alberta are you in?
Quartermoon 62" r/d longbow 53# @ 29"

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2016, 09:08:00 AM »
To me my measure of success is 5 arrows into the white on the NFAA indoor face which is 3". I haven't been able to do that though. If I did I'd want to do that 12 times in a row for a 300.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2016, 08:33:00 PM »
Come on Reddogge....I thought you could do that all day long..????  Let's just hit that shade mtn foam apple 6 straight times......we will practice at Baltimore this year...
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2016, 09:26:00 PM »
12" square of cardboard at 20 yards - representing a deer's chest (with no bullseye or "spot").

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2016, 09:58:00 PM »
I can pull all 5 arrows out with one hand.  (Usually)
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2016, 10:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Mecredy:
I can pull all 5 arrows out with one hand.  (Usually)
I can pull all 5 arrows out with one hand EVERY time..................1 arrow at a time!    :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:

Bisch

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2016, 03:37:00 PM »
You guys need to stop bragging about how big your hands are!!!    :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:  

At 20 yards I can get all touching on a good day.  If they are more than 6" I know I am doing something wrong and have to stop and examine my form.

Offline AlbertaBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2016, 04:14:00 PM »
Can shooting carbon arrows tighten groups? So far I've only shot wood. I imagine carbon being more consistent would shoot better or is it not noticeable at 20 yards?

Some really good shooting on here.

I just got the Kanati pro quiver that straps on and have been shooting a bunch. Added enough weight to my bow that it feels less jumpy in my hand. Very nice quiver as well.
54" Kempf little grizzly 55 @ 28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©