3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wool vs. down; the showdown  (Read 985 times)

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
wool vs. down; the showdown
« on: December 28, 2015, 02:17:00 PM »
I have often wondered how these two natural insulators stacked up to provide comfortable warmth in cold weather. I use both extensively during our second season and for me, the nod goes to down. When I wear my down vest under my down jacket topped by my camo shell, I remain toasty warm for long periods of time while in my treestand. I love my wool but again my nod goes to down.

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wool vs. down; the showdown
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 02:23:00 PM »
Sitting/standing still down is by far warmer.  Stalking/walking and wool is the choice as it breathes.  I do love my wool for how quiet it is but it is not as warm as down.
habujohn

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 02:29:00 PM »
I don't have any down, but I love the wool I have.

Of course, it does not get real cold here usually, and I am wearing wool when it is in the 50's!!

Bisch

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 02:33:00 PM »
Wool  still insulates when wet, down loses its jnsulating properties when wet. For a stalking/mobile hunter, wool is better for me. For a stand hunter, down might be better but a bit bulky than wool.
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 03:42:00 PM »
What Gil said is right on - down looses much of its insulation capacity when wet.  I also find its bulk a little tough to deal with at times.  But it does a great job of keeping you warm.

I find that the innermost and outermost layers are key.  If I have good warm material right next to my skin and a good, windproof outer layer, I am good in pretty cool temps.  Stuff a third layer of wool, down or synthetic in between and Im good in the down right cold.  

Much worse than that, and its time to hunt from a blind.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 03:51:00 PM »
For rifle hunting on stand I do wool long underwear and waterproof duck hunting shell to walk to the stand with the other stuff in a pack. Then on stand I put on heavy wool shirt and a light down coat and then my shell again. It's a proven combo in all kinds of weather. And I've NEVER gotten my down coat wet in 30 years of wearing this combination in all kinds of bad weather both deer and duck hunting.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 04:12:00 PM »
Down packs well and is light, but doesnt carry the toughness of wool to me. both are great and warm but I love the wool.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 04:51:00 PM »
Two downsides regarding down. It loses ability to insulate when wet. Also, it is usually used in conjunction with some sort of synthetic material such as nylon, which makes it noisy. Therefore, I recommend wool for those who don't have allergies.
Sam

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 05:05:00 PM »
If you don't hunt where it really gets cold wool works just fine.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 05:29:00 PM »
Down will win every time.   Till it gets wet or gets compacted.  Each have their shining points.
CHuckC

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 06:58:00 PM »
Both have their advantages and disadvantages. ..

So, one is not better than the other on all occasions. Like there is no one tire tread that works best on all the different terrains.

That's why I utilize both....as we'll as polar fleece.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 07:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
I don't have any down, but I love the wool I have.

Of course, it does not get real cold here usually, and I am wearing wool when it is in the 50's!!

Bisch
Hmmmm... At 50 and above I wear short sleeves.   :)
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 09:29:00 PM »
My all time favorite is a shell of the newer wind blocking fleece, then a wool base layer and middle for really cold temps. Here in MO though wool will cover most of what I need done. I have not played much with down but, a vest sounds like a pretty good add on for those really cold days. Like everyone else says the key is a layering system that can be added or removed as needed and a variety of materials seem to fit that bill.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 09:45:00 PM »
Another thumbs down on down.  It usually comes inside something noisy - like Nylon.  Wool is always quiet.

Try a shearling vest under wool.  Snuggly warm.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 09:56:00 PM »
I prefer wool. I can always layer under it in extreme cold...I'll use a gold wind/rain suit over my thermals and under the wool which is already lined to block wind. I've stayed warm in some cold nasty wet weather while wearing wool. I don't know how you would stay warm in down once you get wet

Online 2wfstlhunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2015, 10:50:00 PM »
I get cold easily.  I wear silk as bottom layer then multiple layers of wool depending on how cold AND even put in the little heater packs.  I always stayed away from down because of noisy cloth that they are usually made of.  However, this year I fell over a down "sweater" in TJ Max for better than 1/2 price and wore it over  and under wool.  It was warmer than last year and frankly no obvious noise when under wool.  If it ever gets cold here I plan to wear it again. I think that it is usually pretty easy to know when rain is coming on most of my hunting days.  That said, if it was pivotal to my staying warm and I hunted where weather was unpredictable and away from home, I am sure that I would use something else.  In Eastern Pa it is not much of a concern, as the house or the car aren't all that far away.
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex Mahogany and bamboo 62" 53#@27.5"
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex curly maple, birdseye maple and Osage riser 53#@ 28"
Blacktail 62" longbow takedown 53#/57# B & W ebony
Harvey Crowned Eagle longbow  62"  49#

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2015, 11:12:00 PM »
I agree with what's been said about the pro's and con's of each but I only wear wool, being that we get over 40" of rain here a year.

I can't risk the down getting wet, no worries with wool if it get's wet.  You still stay warm with wet wool, to a degree.

I agree thou, if "wet" is not a concern and just sitting for a long while, down, I suspect is warmer.

So for me, wool is the year round winner as it takes everything you can throw at it, while down can't...

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 08:21:00 AM »
I have been increasingly leaning toward wool as my favorite hunting clothing, after a brief affair with synthetics. I think the ideal is a windproof layer and good, heavy wool, like KOM or SI or GWW. We haven't had a really cold winter this year, but I was able, on the coldest days (maybe 20 degrees +/- at dawn, windy)to get away with my KOM bibs over fleece longjohns and top, and a wool hoody lined with windproof material over a wool vest. Cozy, not bulky. My only other preference, for mid season, is Berber fleece from Cabelas. Down is light and warm, but useless when wet, and it's ALWAYS wet out there, one way or another.....

Offline lone hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2015, 08:49:00 AM »
Originally posted by Stumpkiller:
Another thumbs down on down.  It usually comes inside something noisy - like Nylon.
Yep.

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2015, 12:34:00 PM »
Most wool is not fulled and thus does not have the wind resistance it can have when properly processed. Fabric that is processed like that is called mountain loden. In comparison to for example jackets/anoraks made from blanket style wool, it is much more waterproof and windproof and thus warmer, but not bulkier. It is also not cheap, as the additional processing must be done and should be done by trained personnel to get a good product. More info:
 http://www.mehler-tuchfabrik.de/en/production/finishing/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©