3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ? for 3 under shooters  (Read 1006 times)

Offline silent sniper

• Trad Bowhunter
? for 3 under shooters
« on: December 28, 2015, 10:40:00 PM »
I know it sounds like a stupid question,  how do you get the arrow to impact exactly where you point it left/right when shooting 3 under?

When shooting split finger I can gap shoot and the arrow with impact perfectly in line windage wise of where I am aiming with no problems.

With 3 under, I can shoot great groups, but they are always to the left of where I am aiming my arrow.  At 25 yards they may only impact 3-4" left, but it is always left. I am right handed and shooting well tuned aluminum and carbon arrows. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks SS .

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ? for 3 under shooters
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 10:44:00 PM »
I've got the same question, I shoot 3 under middle finger corner of the mouth anchor and have shot this way for years with decent success but have the same problem of not being able to shoot point on.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 11:05:00 PM »
It can help to cant your bow a little bit.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Redux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 11:36:00 PM »
Someone with more expertise will chime in soon I'm sure, but it could be that your anchor point changed slightly and the nock is no longer directly under your eye.

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 11:58:00 PM »
I shoot three under and do not have this issue.  I barely if at all cant the bow.  When I cant the bow and don't bend at the hips this happens.  I anchor with index finger in corner of mouth.  I would try various angles of cant to see if it resolves.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline OHtar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 07:47:00 AM »
just switched to 3 under myself, and groups went left too. The fix was to move my anchor, to get the arrow under my eye. I now use my eye tooth as an anchor, and use the sting blur to let me know when i am in alignment. It took some getting used to, but my shooting is much more consistant.

Offline Miner49er

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 08:44:00 AM »
If you a have your bow arm locked or too straight,It will cause you to shoot left of spot.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 09:35:00 AM »
Often, the answer is as simple as where you are anchoring ( directly under your eye or over just a bit).  Change up your hold and you may be changing your anchor point in relation to your eye.   If the arrow is angled in your vision, it is gonna fly angled, compared to where that point is.

Experiment with tilting your head just a tad to get that arrow directly under your eye, so the arrow lines up with your vision.

There are also other factors that COULD play in, like a not so clean release style, or arrows that are not perfect for that set up.
ChuckC

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 10:18:00 AM »
I don't think it's unusual when intentionally modifying your form to get the arrow closer to your eye to reach a point where the arrow is moved more out into the periphery as opposed to directly under your eye. A lot depends on your unique facial geometry which you can't do much about if you have a favorite anchor and don't want to start beating your nose to death!  I was okay switching to 3U/middle finger to corner of mouth, but ran into the same thing when I went to a fixed crawl. In my case the cant required to get the arrow back under my eye would have been so pronounced, and for me inconsistent, that I just started holding the tip of the arrow at 3 o'clock to the spot(I'm RH).  For me the trade-off was well worth going from what was about a 2 foot gap at 20 yds to "point on" at normal hunting/3D ranges.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 10:25:00 AM »
There are a couple things to consider.

Make sure you retune your bow to shoot 3 under. You want that bare shaft flying a touch nock high and weak.  When going from split to 3 under the arrow will respond differently.

Now that you know your arrow is flying perfect there are a couple things you can do to move your impact point to the right.

As folks mention, increase the cant is one.

Going to a softer side plate will also move the place of impact to the right.

Lowering your anchor point will also move it over to the right.  The higher the anchor the more left you will shoot.

I have also found that if I shoot a tab I will shoot to the left.  When shooting a glove which is thicker and moves my anchor away from my face the lefts will not be as dramatic.

The other alternative is to shoot a bow that is cut more past center.  This will help cure some of the left.  A good comparison would be a Hill longbow versus an ACS.  The ACS since it is cut way more to center will usually have your aiming spot and point of impact directly in line vertically.

I fought with the 3 under lefts for quite awhile.  Some folks don't experience it due to their anchor point, bow design, etc.  Other's like Allen aka AS here on TG always fights with it to some degree.  He is a great resource, don't hesitate to reach out to him if he doesn't respond.

:thumbsup:

Offline Matt Parker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 10:28:00 AM »
I had the same problem and finally noticed that when I anchor middle finger in corner of my mouth that my hand hits my cheek bone which causes the arrow to be at a angle to the target. I had to anchor my index finger just below the corner of my mouth to get my hand away from my cheek bone. That lined the arrow up perfectly but it also really increased my point on range.
Matt Parker

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 11:13:00 AM »
If I dont get a real deep hook on the string the arrow will go left.  Also, my alignment at the target will cause left hits.  Using a deep hook and consistently doing so keeps impacts to the right for me.
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Offline catman1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 12:19:00 PM »
I have been shooting 2 under with a glove for a couple of years and just switched to 3 under with a glove. I noticed really no change with my impact, but I did notice I was getting some different shelf wear. I had to lower my nock point about a 1/4" and now all is good with no strange wear, obviously the back of the arrow was getting kicked up and that's where the wear came from with a 3 under anchor point.
Arrows going left is also caused by string torking, as you pull back watch and make sure you don't tork the string clock wise, that will make things go left also. My 2 cents...
Odds are with the prepared..

Offline sticks&stringz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 01:57:00 PM »
i shoot with my index in the corner of my mouth and the bow vertical.i also hit left when i try to go to middle finger as an anchor.try using your index finger if you haven't already.
browning medallion 38#@28
carsage 45#@28
superjet 45#@28
homemade/custom ilf bow 45-50#@28

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 04:05:00 PM »
I shoot three under and have for quite some time. When I switched from split I found I was more consistent with grouping but the point of impact did change. I found that once the computer under my hat adjusted it no longer mattered. I can shoot with no cant to holding the bow practically flat with little difference in where my arrows impact so long as I am maintaining my posture to align with the bow and bending at the waist. I also anchor with my index finger in the corner of my mouth and I fletch my arrows so that the cock feather comes to rest against the tip of my nose when I hit anchor.

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 04:15:00 PM »
I have also found it to be how the shelf is cut as Tim mentioned in an earlier post. Cut to center or slightly past center I don't have an issue with the "lefts".
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline straight_arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 05:43:00 PM »
I believe Tim makes very strong points, references to side plate and the shelf cut past center also suggest arrow shaft diameter has an influence as well.
"They're all trophies"

Offline RedStag5728

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2015, 06:54:00 AM »
I shoot 3-under and agree with all the above but I can add one more point. When shooting split typically your draw is past your eyes; when shooting 3 under the anchor tends to fall to the corner of the mouth. This "shorter draw" of just a few inches is enough to change the dynamic spine of your arrow to the stiffer side as not as much energy is being imparted on the arrow.

So simply increasing point weight will get everything back in tune. Arrows hitting left indicates a stiff spine so adding weight to the tips of your arrows weakens the shaft, and sends it flying more right.
Randy
CTA RedStag LB 64" ntn 57# @ 28"
Hickory SB (#2) 64" ntn 43# @ 28"
Hickory East Woodland SB 65# @ 27"
Darkside Laminated LB 50# @ 28"
Darkside Laminated LB 37# @ 28"

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2015, 11:00:00 PM »
This is a very bizzare thread..?? I switched to 3 under about 7 years ago...never experienced the left grouping thing..??? Never even heard of it until now..??Ido can't my bow somewhat.....but once the brain and bowarm coordinate...viola...!
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2015, 05:07:00 PM »
Personally, I think a lot of hitting left has to do with alignment. I was hitting left when I switched to 3 under this past summer and Kirk Lavender has helped me understand alignment much better. Now that I have been working on my alignment, shooting the line is much easier.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©