3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowstring Life  (Read 397 times)

Online LoneRanger

• Trad Bowhunter
Bowstring Life
« on: December 29, 2015, 07:19:00 AM »
What is the typical life of a bowstring? Are there any signs that can suggest when a new string is needed? Will a string failure damage the bow? Thanks for your input.

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowstring Life
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 07:57:00 AM »
Good dyneema will last for years. I'm sure I have several that have 2-3,000 shots on them by now. If I shot ONE bow nearly every day, I would replace it once a year for cheap insurance. Your serving will go first, if anything does.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 09:21:00 AM »
What is the typical life of a bowstring?  
It can vary a lot depending on the string material, draw weight, strand count, how much you shoot, etc.  I change mine when I see any sign or wear, if not before.  Cheap insurance.

Are there any signs that can suggest when a new string is needed?
When it starts getting fuzzy, that's a sign of wear.  Keep an eye on the loops especially.  Use common sense - if it looks like it needs replacing, most likely it does.

Will a string failure damage the bow?
It can destroy a bow.  Doesn't happen every time, but there's a big risk.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 11:55:00 AM »
Two trusted answers right there.

I was shooting a bow with an excellent, fairly new string a while back. Noticed the serving was looking a little sloppy, but shot it some anyway.
Woke up one morning to find  the bow, which usually hangs strung on the wall, on the floor.
String broke by itself in the night. It's a wonder it didn't break while I was shooting that same day.

I'd read Pearl Drums and LBR's input again, and play it safe if you're in doubt. And it's not only the bow that could be damaged... a bow blowing up in your hands is no fun whatsoever.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 07:45:00 AM »
I like to replace the first string at the first sign of wear (usually a little fuzziness under the serving), then I wax it down and save it as a  back up string. I will make a  new string for the bow and get it settled right where I want it.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 12:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:
I like to replace the first string at the first sign of wear (usually a little fuzziness under the serving), then I wax it down and save it as a  back up string. I will make a  new string for the bow and get it settled right where I want it.
this is good advice right here.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 09:15:00 AM »
That's the huge bonus of twisting your own. It costs $1.75 for a best of the best string. Its worth changing them, if for nothing other than a change in scenery.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »
I have some on that been on a long time but not sure if they have been actually strung and shot for that long..   I know I have had two break on me and both times they broke right at the string nock and I never noticed any fraying or broken strands.
"Us vs Them"

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 09:26:00 AM »
Strangely enough? I've never had a string break that wasn't on a wheeled contraption. Serving tension being too tight can break strings eventually.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 09:12:00 AM »
I have had a couple break in the last few years. Luckily it was one bundle that broke, so it wasn't like a dry fire. Both had tie on cat whiskers and look to have broke under the whiskers. I agree with Pearl Drums about the serving tension, think the tension under the silencers caused the string to break.
Both strings were fairly new. Heck I have shot bows with 50 year old strings ( not saying it's a good idea ) but a string should last more than a couple years
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©