3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: doe bleet?..Help!  (Read 838 times)

Offline repoman

• Trad Bowhunter
doe bleet?..Help!
« on: October 17, 2007, 11:10:00 AM »
ok, im pretty knew to bow hunting and previosly never used calls. this year i bought a primos doe bleet, the little can one, and im not really sure how to use it, like what is it supposed to do? help... im call-chalenged...

Offline brent d.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: doe bleet?..Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 11:15:00 AM »
cover the hole and flip it upside down.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline bowhuntr74

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 11:20:00 AM »
Just follow the instructions on the package brother. In my experience it has a tendency to draw young bucks and it will for sure draw other does. For the past two years I took two bucks that came barreling to this call. One was a small six point but the other got me in the P&Y record book. That's all the proof that I need. Ironically the buck that got me in the book was chasing a doe. She was the first to come to the can and the big eight followed her to within 19 steps of my stand. IT DOES WORK!!!
"Windage and Elevation"

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 11:26:00 AM »
I had a doe at about 40 yards that started to turn away. I tried the can to see if would get her attention and maybe come towards me. She stopped and looked in my direction, but then hurried of in the other direction. I think the can scared her more then anything.

Offline repoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 11:33:00 AM »
thanx alot guys.. wasnt sure if i should buy a grunt or stick with the bleet.. ive got a litttle more confidence now

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 11:34:00 AM »
Like posted above, just put your thumb on the bottom and flip it over.  There is a small piece of tape/plastic I think you take off first?

The can is the only call I can honestly say has led to me filling a tag or two.  Like posted above, it seems most effective on small bucks and does, and it does occasionally seem to spook 'em just like other calls, but man sometimes they come on a string!

Mature bucks forget it IMO.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 11:36:00 AM »
the can is used primarily during the pre- and rut phases.  It sounds like a doe that is ready to breed.  It probably would scare most deer right now- but give it a couple of weeks.  I use mine about once per hour, just turn it over 3 times with a few second pause between flips.
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline repoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »
when exactly is  the rut.... late october/early november?...

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 07:20:00 PM »
Depends or where your at. Earlier up North than further South I believe.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
I use mine all season and have good luck calling deer with it. I have called in bucks does and fawns with one. i use it almost exclusively and use a grunt as a last resort. I just cover the hole tip it over i do this three to four times, either when i see a deer or about every 20 minuets while I'm in the stand.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »
The best deer action I see as far as rut goes, is usually the last few days in October into the third week of November.

Just my observation over the last several years or so.

-Charlie

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 10:37:00 PM »
Son gave me a can at Christmas last year,2nd week of Jan.I could hear deer walking over the ridge,3 bleats,3 bucks,last one bout 135",hit twig,shot WAY over back,cried all the way home.

Probably wont work that good again,but will be with me on every hunt....

Rut here starts around Nov 10th give or take,best time for me to take a buck is late Oct.

Good luck and safe huntin!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 12:26:00 AM »
I believe timing is the key with this call. I didn't use it right, evidently, and had one of the biggest bucks I have ever seen in the wild dang near turn inside out trying to get away from me. He was walking quartering away at 75 yards when I gently turned the can. He then bolted as if on fire. Prior to that, he was obviously in search mode for does, based on his body language and actions.

I still carry "the can" in my fanny pack, but am very reluctant to use it after that experience. I've had better luck with grunt calls.

Best of luck to you,

Doug
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bearhair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 07:35:00 AM »
Be sure to do a little practice with it around the house.  Depending on how much you cover the one end  you can muffle the volume. I've found that they don't work all the time but the can calls do work.  Good luck.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007, 05:54:00 PM »
Don`t be surprised to see a coyote show up too!

Be sure to be polite if one shows up.  :D

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
Had a doe run through my set up and a buck showed up about 30 seconds later.  I hit that can call and he was standing under my tree in a few seconds.  In the rut I think they can help with a buck that is looking for a doe he has been chasing.  I've used on several bucks that were just cruising but were not on a doe's trail and it didn't work at all. Like anything else it isn't magic but it can't hurt.

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline fisheye47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2007, 11:11:00 PM »
I have had one of those cans around for a number of years-can't remember if i ever tried using it before.Last night I was reading this thread and thought i might give it try tonight at my new stand-where as of yesterday, I hadn't seen a deer of any kind after 3 evening sits.It just looked like a good spot and I was determined to put in some time there.About an hour before dark I remembered the Primos deer can that I had put in my safety vest pocket.I pulled out the can and gave 3 spaced bleats-about 1 minute later I thought that I heard a deer moving through the leaves behind my stand-I stood and picked up my bow-but saw nothing.I sat back down and watched the squirrls.about 30 min. later i again pulled out the can and repeated the 3 bleats-with in a few seconds I heard a deer coming again behind my stand and a little off to the side.this time the deer kept coming and came into view angling toward my stand.At first it looked like a doe but at 15 yds. I noticed two spikes I thought to myself if he steps into that little opening I'll shoot him-but just then I heard another deer coming behind the little buck -this just as the spike stepped into a good shooting lane.I don't know why I did't shoot but something told me to wait and see what was coming-and wow,
 was that ever a good pick on my part- for behind the little buck, a giant buck appeared at about 20yds.This was just about one of the nicest bucks that I have seen in 45+years of hunting whitetails.Well, both bucks were visably looking around for the doe that made the bleat.The little one looked right at me and got a little nervous-the big one stopped about 3yds short of my shooting lane and payed me no mind.I thought of trying to squeeze an arrow through a little opening but thought better of it.To make this long tale short the little one spooked back to where he came from and the big one just stood and looked and looked meanwhile I was about on the verge of collapse,I had been holding my bow up for 5-6 min. while balancing on a narrow platform(Loggy Brush stand)finally the big boy slowly turned and walked away down the trail-away from me.I decided not to try the can anymore tonight -just to let things cool down(me included).Actually I was thrilled to share the same space with a P&Y buck-I now know where he is-and as Arnold would say "I'll be back"---WITH THE CAN!   CAM REXER      (PS-THOSE CANS REALLY DO WORK!)
+    :scared:

Offline gwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 09:56:00 AM »
Is it the early doe bleat or the doe in heat can that ya'll are using?
Jesus died for us!  Following him brings us closer to God.  Think about it!

Offline bearhair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2007, 10:09:00 AM »
In the heat of the rut a couple years back I let out a few bleats from the can and within 10 minutes had a small fork buck come straight at me thinking he was going to get lucky.  Unfortunately I didn't get lucky as no shot was taken.  They don't work all the time but I will continue to use one sparingly.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »
You guys should try the" long can" in a couple weeks. It makes deer very interested..
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©