3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Modern technology..yikes  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Modern technology..yikes
« on: December 29, 2015, 03:55:00 PM »
First it was cell phones, then smart phones, now   Drones  ... things are moving too fast for this old man., what's next?    :dunno:

My Son got himself a drone for Christmas and flew it for the first time today. He sent me this picture of the big hay field just south of the farm house.  The woods beyond the field is one of the woodlots that I hunt. Makes me wonder, what purpose do these things have, are people going to start using them to scout for deer?..I sure hope not    :(  

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Modern technology..yikes
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 04:01:00 PM »
Ron, I'm sure they will use them to scout for deer.  However, I think some state agencies have already made them illegal for that purpose.  That's good, but enforcement wouldn't be easy.  

I know one thing, if I ever see one hovering over my hunting area (or my house for that matter), I will do my hardest to shoot that sucker down.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 04:13:00 PM »
Its just another toy for the techy crowd.. until they mount an arrow launcher on it so you can hunt from the couch.   :eek:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 04:20:00 PM »
I heard on the news the other day that they were one of the more popular gifts for Christmas. I didn't know my son was getting one, he surprised me when he emailed pictures but I knew right away they had to be taken with one of them flyin toys.    :D

I foresee a lot of problems with them in the future...but then I said the same thing about computers when they came out.....and I was right.    :biglaugh:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 04:30:00 PM »
Buddy of mine at work got one awhile back...and he flies it over his farm...using it as a scouting tool so to say. Not my cup of tea but to each his own.

He said he can take photos and video up to a mile away. Thing cost like $3000. I can buy alot of bows for that kind of cash.    :goldtooth:
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 04:35:00 PM »
There was an article a few weeks back where Amazon and UPS are testing the waters with them to deliver between warehouses and eventually they want to us them to make home deliveries.
I can't imagine looking up in the sky one day and seeing these things flying all over.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 04:42:00 PM »
Anyone who can bring down an asprin should have no problem with a drone!   :D

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 05:23:00 PM »
I know a guy who paid $5,000 for one took it out was flying it and lost it.
Bought another one and it lost it also.
He now bought a third one and decided he should read the instructions before flying it.
He's got way too much money!
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 05:29:00 PM »
Back in my aviation days you could not hunt if you had flow in the last 24 hrs.  Big fine if you got caught.  If I owned a drone I would not fly it within 24 hrs of hunting whether scouting or not.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 05:41:00 PM »
As has already been pointed out, some folks are already using them for scouting, and some states have already made them illegal for that or any other purpose related to hunting.  

One thing for sure, I'm going to get a lot more "wingshooting" in the future.    :goldtooth:

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 05:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Orion:
As has already been pointed out, some folks are already using them for scouting, and some states have already made them illegal for that or any other purpose related to hunting.  

One thing for sure, I'm going to get a lot more "wingshooting" in the future.     :goldtooth:  
I agree Orion. The day I bag my first trespassing drone will be a day I will look back on and smile well into my old age.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 05:54:00 PM »
There was just an article in the Edmonton Sun the other day quoting a gentleman who has been flying them professionally for a couple of years...one of the points he made is that a lot, probably most, of the flights being made are not legal...just some food for thought if one annoys you

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 06:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Possum Head:
Anyone who can bring down an asprin should have no problem with a drone!    :D  
Go get em Ron   :archer2:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 07:53:00 PM »
Saw on Facebook a guy got arrested for shooting one down. It was hovering over his sunbathing daughter. I am wondering if he was arrested for discharging a firearm or shooting down the drone? If so I would make sure the camera was destroyed before owner got it back.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 08:41:00 PM »
I believe they can send a pic. back to you as they fly. If you want to take one down you better hide from the camera first.

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 08:57:00 PM »
Drones, trail cameras, and 4-wheelers.   Three things I can leave out of my hunting.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 09:02:00 PM »
The guy did not get in trouble for shooting the drone it was for shooting a shot gun in the city limits. If I knock one out of the sky I'm keeping it.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 09:19:00 PM »
Probably as drones become more popular there will be laws against shooting at them. Destroying an expensive piece of private property could be pretty costly I'd guess.

If Company's start using them for delivering it would be like shooting at a UPS truck when it drove by your house.

Here's another scenario, they could be used to locate lost hunters.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2015, 09:58:00 PM »
They are being used in Mesa County Colorado (grand junction) for search and rescue.  We have outlawed them for scouting or hunting purposes of any kind here in CO.  But, there will always be outlaws.

I'm sure some of the more activist anti hunter types will try to use them to interfere with hunters or to drive game away from hunters.

Seems like fun toys but they have no place in in my outdoor activities.

Might not be wise to think that we can shoot a drone down just because it is there.  It may be legally flown for a legitimate purpose.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2015, 10:05:00 PM »
Folks in Deer Trail Colorado tried, unsuccessfully, to    legalize shooting drones .  As Ron mentioned, probably an issue with destroying private property.
homebru

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©