3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which pack for elk??  (Read 1403 times)

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
Which pack for elk??
« on: December 29, 2015, 07:38:00 PM »
Planning my first archery elk hunt and need a pack....specifically for packing gear in and for packing meat/cape/ etc out.

Internal frame or external?  Recommend a specific pack?

What features do you look for?
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which pack for elk??
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 07:40:00 PM »
I really like my Stone Glacier Sky 5100

Easily compressible for shorter hunts, very light, super comfortable and great load lifter system.
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 07:45:00 PM »
Whatever someone else is wearing ( during pack out) works best for me......
CHuckC

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 07:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:
Whatever someone else is wearing ( during pack out) works best for me......
CHuckC
So I should be shopping for a pack for my buddy.....SMART!!!!
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 08:04:00 PM »
I have a Kifaru that I love, but truth be told the cheap Marine Corp. ILBE is just about as good and much cheaper.

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 08:10:00 PM »
Depends a lot on how from the truck you plan to go.  The further in the better/bigger it needs to be.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline bowhunter97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 09:56:00 PM »
I have been using kifaru for about 8 years and still love it. Very versatile pack.
phil:4.13

Offline mbugland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 12:52:00 AM »
If you haven't checked them out, huge fan of Mystery Ranch. Volume of the pack, secure frame, and Dana has been making one hell of a product for a very long time. His company has been punched a few times and always sprung back up under a different name.
Used an old Dana Design pack for a bit of playing a long time ago. Recently  I have played with their mil-spec pack and it is out of this world for what it needed to do there. Recognized some of the features so I started to dig around and found out it was the same old maker.
Shootz!

Offline Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 01:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by archer66:
Planning my first archery elk hunt and need a pack....specifically for packing gear in and for packing meat/cape/ etc out.

Internal frame or external?  Recommend a specific pack?

What features do you look for?
Start with your realistic budget and need.
Then move on:

Fit is everything in a pack. Is the torso length correct? Does the belt fit properly? Does it have full load lifter adjustment?

Once you get those sorted out look at dry weight, load bearing/size capacity. Organization (do you like or need a lot of pockets or do you use pull outs and dry bags).

Do you want to carry meat in the main bag or use a load shelf?

If you use a pack more than five days a year, and actually haul more than 50lbs, any of the Big Three (Kifaru/Stone Glacier/Mystery Ranch) will provide the opportunity to "buy once/cry once".
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 07:05:00 AM »
I wonder what brand howard used!

Mike

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 07:13:00 AM »
Will be keeping tabs on this one,been looking at the Eberlestock Blue Widow.Not trying to hijack this thread just wanting to know the same info as Chris has asked.
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline East Fork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 07:53:00 AM »
I use an old Dana Design Alpine. It is an internal frame pack. I like how the internal frame contours to your back.  

Daz makes great points about fit, pocket configuration and price.

Don't end up getting a pack because it's a good deal.  Make sure it fits properly.  Packing meat out is hard enough.

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 10:22:00 AM »
I use the KUIU 5200. Worked well on the trip in and pulls down small enough to wear while hunting. Good material and craftsmanship. If you can try several before buying there are a lot of good packs out there. But you can always go with one like Howard.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 10:43:00 AM »
Trust me, go to the big auction site and buy an ILBE.  I've got them for as low as $25.  Use it to train with, and then decide if you need something better.  It was designed by Arc'teryx and built by propper.  Marines are running 125 lbs. In them in some serious harsh terrain.  I almost always have one in the truck just in case something needs hauling.

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 11:24:00 AM »
I use the Eberlestock Blue widow for two seasons now. Great pack! Can collapse down to be used as a day pack so when you kill an elk miles from camp you don't have to hike back to get  a pack to haul meat out.

Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2015, 11:39:00 AM »
Price point is the first thing you need to consider.  If $600 is in the budget you will get one recommendation if it is $150.00 you will get another.  

A used Dana Designs or Cabelas Alaskan Guide will work.  It also depends on whether you are doing a pack in hunt or will be hunting for a basecamp.
T ZZZZ

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2015, 02:43:00 PM »
I've become a big fanboy of Kifaru, me and the wife both got packs last summer, they are incredible! I know that Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear is becoming a dealer for Mystery Ranch I think it is, either them or Stone Glacier, give them a holler if you decide to go that direction!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2015, 03:01:00 PM »
I have a Stone Glacier 7400 that I bought for a sheep hunt last year that I am real pleased with. It is is lightweight and so far has carried any load I have put in it well. I have never had it loaded super heavy though. It is not cheap but i have a feeling it will last me for years.

Offline zagaya

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2015, 04:05:00 PM »
A lot of people criticize them (not 100% sure why), but I used my brother's  Outdoorsmans Optics hunter pack this last season for both turkey and elk, and I thought it was great. For turkey I used it as a day pack and carried it all day long - it was quite comfortable. For elk, I packed in about 3 miles with about a 40lb pack, again - no problems, very comfortable. Also used it as a day pack, just tightened down. Didn't kill an elk, so don't have experience hauling heavy meat, but have tested it with an 80lb bag of concrete and once again, it was very comfortable.

Packs are like scotch - no one can tell you what you will like, and you won't know yourself until you try it. Try to get your hands on a few. As an aside, my brother also has a Dana Terraplane (Bozeman), and I thought it was fairly uncomfortable.  Everyone is different.
The large print giveth and the small print taketh away

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2015, 04:34:00 PM »
I have used an Eberlestock  Blue Widow for three elk hunts.  It worked well for hauling all of my gear in.  Sadly, can't report on how it handles elk on the way out.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©