3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which pack for elk??  (Read 1402 times)

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which pack for elk??
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2015, 12:59:00 AM »
I hunt from a base camp so my hunting packs will generally be day packs. I want to be able to take a load out initially. In the past I have used Badlands, brutally punishing and never again. I used a Sitka Flash 32 for quite a few years, not bad but not really a heavy load hauler.

After the first load was out I'd grab the Cabelas Alaskan frame pack to get the rest. This pack will carry a load heavier than I want to carry. I still have this pack but haven't used it in a while.

Currently, I have a Paradox Evolution frame with load shelf. Attached is a KUIU 1850 bag but you can use any size bag you want. This pack is very comfortable and super light weight. I have not hauled any elk yet but have hauled boned out deer, around 40lbs or so I reckon. You can hardly tell its there, it handled the load superbly. I am very happy with this setup.

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2015, 07:59:00 AM »
Ok, if you want to spend 500.00 on the the top of the line packs its your choice, but you dont need to especially if this is your fist trip. Cabelas make some external frame packs you can buy for 1/3 the money of the high end packs that will do all you ask of it and more. I have hunted colorado for 19 seasons and killed 11 elk and have been a packer on many more so i have a little boots on the ground exposure to this question. Last year I killed on the second morning 5 mi. from basecamp boned out the entire elk and two of us packed it out in one trip in two Cabelas packs one pack 8 yrs old and the other about 20 yrs old. Now these packs also packed in all our gear and then carried at least 120lbs of meat out and neither cost over 250.00 when purchased. Another thing to remember the State average in Colorado for success on Elk with bow is like 17% so I would spend more money on boots than a pack, good luck to you whichever way you go,Don.

Offline Archer1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2015, 11:51:00 AM »
The Eberlestock Blue Widow is really nice and you can add lots of space, it is pretty modular.

These look pretty nice as well.
 http://exomountaingear.com
Dwyer Longbow 48#

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2015, 03:04:00 PM »
I like a pack that is large enough to hold 7 to 10 days worth of gear and food yet will be capable of compressing down small enough to use as a day pack once I get where I'm going and is capable of hauling a 90-100 lb load in relative comfort (if that's such a thing)

I used a Stone Glacier Sky 6200 for the first time this year and was very impressed. Initially, I couldn't make up my mind between the Sky 5100 or the 6200 so I ordered both with the intent of keeping the one I liked and sending the other one back. I loaded both packs and realized that with my gear 7 days worth of food was about all I could fit in the 5100 so I kept the 6200 and sent the 5100 back.

I used the pack for a 7 day elk hunt in Colorado in September and gave the it a pretty good workout for it's first year. Here are a few pics.

The pack loaded with all my gear

In this pic I have 1/3 of a boned out 6x6 bull on the load shelf. Pack out was just over 5 miles. I didn't weigh it but probably somewhere around 90lbs

This is a pic of 1/3 of a boned out mature cow being loaded on the load shelf.

Same load with bag secured

With the load on my back. This pack out was just a little longer than the bull but a lighter load....maybe 75-80 lbs.

Note in the first pic of the 6x6 the meat was in an Alaskan Game bag (and black trash bag to catch blood) which did not hold any kind of shape and the meat ended up in a big blob. You can see the meat squeezing out between the compression straps. The cow was put in a TAG game bag designed for boned out meat and you can see it keeps the meat in a much more upright position and was much easier to load and secure. I also learned after packing out the bull I didn't like the way the top lid pulled out away from the bag so when packing out the cow I detached it and put it inside the main bag for organization which worked much better. I won't pretend the pack made either trip fun but it was as comfortable as can be expected for that kind of load and I was really impressed with how well it secured the load.  I should also note that Stone Glaciers customer service was as impressive as their pack.

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2015, 09:48:00 PM »
Great info everyone...thank you!!

Where can a guy go to look at some of these packs and try them out to check fit etc?  I live in Northeast Missouri.
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2015, 10:18:00 PM »
I picked up a Tenzing 5000 last spring for a Sept. elk hunt but due to some unforeseen circumstances I didn't make it on the hunt. The pack seems to be a decent well built pack and I picked it up on sale for 225$. I think the pack would be good to haul in 4-5 days worth of gear on a spike camp style of hunt.

The pack has game compartment that expands by unzipping on both sides. This fall I fit a quartered out doe along with the back straps in the game compartment and had room to spare. I would guess I had 60-70 lb of meat in there and it rode nicely on the pack out. There is also an external cloth load hauling shelf and 3 compression straps so meat could also be carried outside of the pack in a game bag. It compresses down nicely for day trips too and the top cover doubles as a detachable fanny pack.

Like a few others have said make sure you get one that fits your torso and has a good belt that rides nicely on your hips. A bad fitting pack will eat you up like a bad fitting pair of boots, especially after a 5 mile hike with 100lb of meat. You will probably buy two or three packs before you find the perfect one for you and then maybe! If you have a store where you can try multiple packs on that would be the way to go.

Good luck,
Cory

Offline Ben Nicholson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2015, 10:36:00 PM »
I'm really liking my EXO 3500.  Check them out, you won't be disappointed!

Good luck,
Ben
"Remember, if you don't do it this year you'll be one year older when you do." - Warren Miller

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2015, 11:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by archer66:
Great info everyone...thank you!!

Where can a guy go to look at some of these packs and try them out to check fit etc?  I live in Northeast Missouri.
About the only place I know of to try them out, where they are all on the same sight is the big shows, like the Sheep Show etc... Would take some traveling, that's for sure! I'm telling you though, buy once, cry once, buy Kifaru!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2016, 12:50:00 AM »
Still enjoying my Badlands Sacrifice...I pack more weight in it than I prob should.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2016, 01:41:00 PM »
I also use the Eberlestock Blue Widow! I have hunted many days in it and have packed out a bunch of elk in it. Not only is it comfortable and tough for packing but it is quiet. I would never hunt in a cordura or nylon pack way too noisy.
What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2016, 04:02:00 PM »
I use a older mountainsmith pack. I really like it. It is big enough to carry everything for a 10 day hunt, sucks down pretty small, hauls meat well, and didn't cost me a fortune. It is a mountainsmith from back when they were made well. My buddy has used an Eberlestock just one for years and loves it.

This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2016, 05:39:00 PM »
I've gone through a few packs. The last one was the Eberlestock Blue Widow. It was a good pack, just felt I could do better. Bought a Stone Glacier 5100. Wow...load lifters that work great, quality design and materials AND I cut the weight down considerably. Very comfortable. It has the ability to haul meat on a designated shelf between the bag and the frame. So you can haul a load out with your gear for the first trip out.
Take a look at the pack!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2016, 06:08:00 PM »
Lots of Stone Glacier fans and lots of Kirafu fans....and lots of Eberlestock fans.....sound like those are great packs.

I'm leaning toward an IBLE paired with a quality game bag.........and if that's an inferior setup maybe that's all I need for Murphy's law to kick in and make me regret it by having to pack a big ole bull out in it lol.

I agree boots are probably the most important piece of equipment.....
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2016, 11:38:00 PM »
For the money the ILBE absolutely can't be beat.  Arc'teryx used to sell a commercial version for about $600.  I've got $50 total in the two I have now.  Sure they're are better packs out there but you'll pay for it

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2016, 11:47:00 PM »
Been running mystery ranch packs lately (metcalf) basically any high end pack will be nice, just needs to fit you.  Also be realistic on what you can carry.  If you a guy that can haul 100 plus pounds you 'll be in a different class then a guy that only haul 50.

Also learn how to setup a pack and how to load it.  Ran into a few guys this year with kifaru's, 1/4s in and load lifter flopping in the breeze.........go figure.

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2016, 07:03:00 AM »
I know I sound like a dinosaur, but the best elk hunting pack is the US Army large ALICE.  2 mature elk quarters can fit inside, it rides high but below your head so avoids overhanging branches, and I have had over 200# of elk in mine once, and if you can haul it, more can be strapped to the outside. Oh, and they are relatively cheap.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2016, 11:36:00 AM »
It took me a while to find the right pack for me. I have EXO 3500 and find it to be perfect for all my needs whether I am hunting whitetail or elk. It is so comfortable and functional. They also have a bigger EXO 5500 you may want to check out.

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2016, 08:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by michaelschwister:
I know I sound like a dinosaur, but the best elk hunting pack is the US Army large ALICE.  2 mature elk quarters can fit inside, it rides high but below your head so avoids overhanging branches, and I have had over 200# of elk in mine once, and if you can haul it, more can be strapped to the outside. Oh, and they are relatively cheap.
My dad has an old Alice....he's 72 years old and he and his buddy packed out two mature cow elk with Alice packs last fall in Wyoming....granted it wasn't a terribly long pack out but I'm always impressed by what Dad can do.
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Offline hedgetree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2016, 09:23:00 AM »
I agree on the EXO 3500.  Outstanding!

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2016, 09:42:00 AM »
It is all about what you want. You can drive a Yugo or a Mercedes. I'm more of a Middle of the road guy and wanted a multi function pack that would haul all I want to carry and not totally break the bank. I ended up with an AMERICAN made Outdoorsman Optics pack. It does Everything from being a quiet day pack, to hauling boned out meat on the bare beaver tail  frame. What I like the most is the multiple adjustments that can be made for body size and load adjustment. I would at least take a look.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©