3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cold weather hats  (Read 765 times)

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
Cold weather hats
« on: December 29, 2015, 09:43:00 PM »
I just wanted to share my thoughts on a product that I really like for cold weather...Mad Bomber Hats

These are warm, versatile, adjustable, have a soft brim to get out of the way of scopes/binos/bowstrings, can have the brim snapped up out of the way completely when desired, can cover the ears and neck or just the head, have earbud holes for headphones if desired, have real rabbit fur, come in a variety of colors/materials all of which just about can be had for $25 on sell if your patient, and just plain rock for winter hunting. Your measures may vary but I just snagged two more locally for $43 out the door at Cabelas.  In my limited experience, they are much better than a wool hat, ball cap, Kommer hat, beanie, etc for winter hunts.

I keep hoping to find a brown leather one on sell to go with my leather coat for work.

1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline OHtar

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cold weather hats
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 09:51:00 PM »
love mine too. It has to get pretty cold before I pull it out, but it does its job.

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 09:54:00 PM »
Yep. They are not for chilly hunts. They are for the COLD days when you really want some warmth and wind blocking. And in those times when normal hats fail or are marginal at best, these ROCK! Combined with some quality flip back mittens and a decent coat with some sort of windproof layer you'll be nice and cozy.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 10:03:00 PM »
I've got a bunch of winter hats but one of my favorites is the wool Coups cap from Two Tracks. The flaps fold down over the ears and it is mighty warm

http://www.twotracksbow.com/store/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=192  

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 10:14:00 PM »
I may have to try one of those out. I can never have too many hats in the arsenal.  I think I have more hats than I do insulation layers but to me a hat is 100% necessary for hunting and depending on season, weather, and hunting style my needs in a hat change.

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 10:26:00 PM »
Garret, Mad Bomber Hats are AWESOME!

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 11:19:00 PM »
my favorite is my Stormy Crommer.  Not only is it warm mine has good MOJO.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline carbonflyr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 12:03:00 AM »
wool coups cap and/or an original winona hat for cold temps work for me.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 12:05:00 AM »
I wear a regular camo baseball hat, with camo earmuffs I found at Dicks.

Offline Snow Crow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 01:32:00 AM »
I use the nylon mad bomber for the nasty parts of MN winter.  Although I remove the front fur flap due to string catching at release, they're still too warm to use while moving, perfect for windy sits.  For the occasional hideous Arctic blast, the 'nuclear' leather bomber comes out...
Wanted:  Crow willing to fly into my arrow.  Blind, deaf and dumb preferred.  Mute a bonus.  One wing would be good.  No legs.  With vertigo...

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 01:28:00 PM »
Hawks sometimes object to MAD BOMBER HATS. Don't ask me how I know.
Sam

Offline double eagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 01:36:00 PM »
I am stuck on Mad Bombers when it is really cold.  I tend to lean on a fleece cap until I pull out the bomber.  I agree with Sam above, had my close calls as they thought I was lunch.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 02:28:00 PM »
I typically wear a wool or fleece stocking cap for all cool or cold weather.  Recently bought one made by Carhart that has earcovers that come down lower as with my somewhat large noggin...they tend to ride up in the OSFA mentality of hat manufacturers.

Only time I have needed more is a very cold wet hunt in mountains of western Maryland and I put up the hood on my Swandri wool jacket....but think a Mad Bomber or some other fur styled hat would be ticket if I lived where it stayed frigid for long periods.

Otherwise...an assortment of  wool and fleece beanies/stocking caps are my answer.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 02:31:00 PM »
Ron-That Coups Cap makes you look much younger!

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 05:05:00 PM »
Had one of those 'bombers' back in the 60's when the 'fur' was wool.  Even as a kid I didn't care for them...waaay too hot unless sitting still in subzero weather (high wind chills).  Ball caps usually work fine in most cases here, and if it gets down to single digits or less a pullover sock cap works well and doesn't muffle sounds much.  

Guess it depends on what you mean by 'cold weather'.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2015, 07:53:00 PM »
Muskrat hat, beaver mitts and wool coat for those really cold hunts

with the flaps down

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2015, 08:48:00 PM »
Thats a great set-up Ron.  My gray wolf woolens bomber style hat is very warm, the warmest I own right now.  Have been thinking about those coups caps though.

I had a wolverine hat from one I'd trapped, but lost it a few years ago.  It was too warm for about all but the coldest weather.  I may have a hat made out of river otter this winter.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2015, 09:43:00 PM »
If it's too cold for my Coups Cap I'm probably gonna sleep in.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2015, 09:55:00 PM »
Tim, here's my Otter hat (not to be confused with "other hat")   :D  

My Beaver hat

another muskrat hat with my buffalo coat

When it's cold you can't beat wool and fur     :thumbsup:

Offline oldtimerbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2015, 10:59:00 AM »
I wear the classic sportsman short bill along with a gator that I can pull up to cover my face also. Warmer than my stormy chromers.
oldtimerbow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©