3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ghillie Suit for Deer and Turkey  (Read 901 times)

Offline TBone07

• Trad Bowhunter
Ghillie Suit for Deer and Turkey
« on: December 29, 2015, 11:30:00 PM »
Anybody use a ghillie suit or some form of one to hunt deer any turkey? I am thinking about chasing the thunder chickens in the spring with one but haven't bought one yet. Any pointers? Brands to avoid or good experiences with them? Thanks!

Offline Hickrylb

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ghillie Suit for Deer and Turkey
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 11:35:00 PM »
I think they are awesome ,,but with all the different fuzz and rags hanging off in all different directions I would think it would be hard to not get your bowstring caught in the headgear or chest area ,armgaurd would only protect the fore arm .
I like building HICKORY selfbows,#45lb Kodiak hunter,50#lb Bear Byron Ferguson Royal Safari,Indian Archery 35#lb recurve,Petry snake backed selfbow

Offline carbonflyr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 11:42:00 PM »
use the search function, search for ghillie suit subject only and you'll get tons of info
good luck in your search
btw i love mine   :bigsmyl:

Offline Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 06:13:00 AM »
I've been using a ghillie for two years now and have had deer close enough to wipe the snot off their noses. This years doe was 4 yards when I shot her. Almost glad my knees prevent me from climbing trees anymore. Go for it, you will have more memories of the close kind.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 07:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tom:
I've been using a ghillie for two years now and have had deer close enough to wipe the snot off their noses.
Same here!  I haven't been too good at Turkey hunting but its not the suits fault.  while using it however, I managed to crawl within 30 yards of a  flock of turkeys in Missouri and also had a  Tom Gobbling his fool head off at 40 yards last spring but couldn't get him any closer.

I used Curt's instructions in the "How To" section on Trad Gang.  as far as string clearance, you can trim or leave short the strings in the bow string area. Not really a Big Deal.

A few friends have used Big Jim's Bush in a bag with great success.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 10:06:00 AM »
I picked up one of Big Jim's Bush-in-a-bag this fall and had no trouble with bow string catching once I made up a little longer than normal arm guard. I haven't had to trim mine yet.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 12:07:00 PM »
Rancho Safari.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 12:13:00 PM »
They work!  For deer, anyway.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 12:29:00 PM »
I use a leafy kind of light weight over pants and hoodie top, if the deer don't smell me and turkey don't see me move i could sit right next to them, the fact that it breaks your physical outline I think makes the difference,it's all I used this season, that and a little background cover,no fuss way to hunt effectively for anything,that being said a good tree stand site is good also.

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 01:07:00 PM »
I made a leafy suit this year. I thought it worked real well.  I saw more turkeys than deer this year and the suit did its job. If you sit still you are almost invisible. I think it also helps if you get caught moving.  Critters seem to be a little more calm and less likely to bolt.

I took a die cut camo blind and cut long strips. Sewed them to a BDU top overlapping each other about 2 inches.  Buy a size large so you can layer when needed and it will hang down past your waist. Gave me good "bulk" without being in the way too much.  It was easy to trim back the arm and chest area. One complaint I hear about ghillies is that they are hot.  My bdu leaf top kept me comfortable up to 80s. I usually packed it in a pouch.  I didnt have too many problems with it catching on branches when moving.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 01:25:00 PM »
Rancho Safari Long coat with mask and boonie is well made and does a great job. During very hot weather I've used a Cabela's leafy suit (top and bottoms). I usually pack the guille long coat or leafy suit into my hunting area before putting on either . Pants are a pain to put on in the field, so I prefer the long coat. Set-up is very important. I've found that the quartering away shots are most desirable to avoid detection with whitetail deer. As we all know, the eyes of a deer are set well back in their skull and they will pick up movement despite the guille. Pick your shot, move slow and shoot straight and you'll have great fun on the ground. Good luck.   :thumbsup:

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 03:13:00 PM »
Ghillie suits are great fun for deer.  I have had them almost run into me.  Get one and have fun!

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 03:30:00 PM »
Might want to look at an ASAT leafy suit. Less stuff to get tangled up.
Bad hip limited my brother to hunting from the ground this year and an old doe spoiled several evening sits for him because she was leery of his tent blind.  He put on his leafy suit and sat 10 yards off the food plot on a stool about 30 yards away from the tent.  Only cover he had was the knee high scrub that surrounds the plot. First night he had 18 turkeys feed past and seven deer including that old doe which stood on his edge of the plot (about 8 yards!) and watched as she stood staring at his empty tent.
He couldn't believe how well the ASAT suit worked. "If I could hear her breathing I figured she must be able to hear me breathing!" Was his comment.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 04:28:00 PM »
Rancho safari that I got in a trade on the classifieds......have had deer [bucks and does] as close as 3 yards. In fact to close......lol. When you can count whiskers and eye lashes you know you are close.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 07:25:00 PM »
I've hunted with home built ghillies and store bought ones. Have been close but not taken a shot yet.
Had a small buck close enough that I actually touched it with the end of my arrow while on the bow.

This year I bought Big Jims busn in a bag.
Think it is my favorite, especially after slitting the sleeve like he showed on video.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2015, 11:25:00 PM »
I use an ASAT leafy suit and have been very happy with it.
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2015, 12:50:00 AM »
another vote for asat- had african antelope so close i could touch them- had a red tailed hawk land and sit on my head for at least a full minute!

Offline TBone07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2015, 01:12:00 AM »
Well I cannot wait to try it. After spending 12 years in the trees I am looking forward to coming down and getting eye to eye. Thanks everyone!

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2016, 07:48:00 PM »
ASAT leafy works great.

Or allpredatorcalls.com mesh Sapper suit. $60
Irv Eichorst

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2016, 09:16:00 PM »
I bought camo netting, doubled it over, and tied hunks of twine into it. I drape it over my back, head, and shoulders. It's worked great to get close to turkey!

PICS:   https://goo.gl/photos/PBSJUQQvWPiUrGeW7
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©