3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Getting closer to animals  (Read 851 times)

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Getting closer to animals
« on: December 30, 2015, 06:56:00 PM »
I know shooting traditional equipment I'm going to have to get a little closer than what I'm used to. I want to try to stay at 12-15 yards max, closer than that would be great. I've got ladder stands, pops ups, a ghillie suit, I'm used to hunting out of homemade brush blinds, I know to play the wind, etc. I was just wondering what set ups you guys prefer for getting really close. I know everybody has their own ways of doing things, and I'm just looking for new ideas.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Getting closer to animals
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 07:07:00 PM »
I think there's such a thing as getting too close.  The last time I was hunting blacktails in No Cal, I was in a pop-up blind. The nicest 4X4 I've ever seen came around from behind the blind and was standing less than 6' in front of it. I waited frozen in position hoping he would walk off a little further and turn his head away from me so I could get in position and draw the bow (yes, I was out of position!  I'm just not the kind of person who can stay in shooting position for hours).  But that wasn't to be; he didn't like what he saw or smelled and ran away to the side before I could do anything about it.

I would much rather have a deer 15-20 yards away than less than 10 yards.  I just think I have a better chance for a shot.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 07:27:00 PM »
I like to learn the deer travel patterns better and position myself in a travel funnel, manmade or other, so that they move by close.  I have been hunting the ground for several years now and I usually get  some pretty close encounters.
ChuckC

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 08:06:00 PM »
Once you locate a good stand site, sit very still in your ghillie with the wind in your face, and you will have a good working combo. Good hunting!
Sam

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:
I like to learn the deer travel patterns better and position myself in a travel funnel, manmade or other, so that they move by close.  I have been hunting the ground for several years now and I usually get  some pretty close encounters.
ChuckC
X2!!!
Except I do both ground hunting and elevated stands. Depends on each location.
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 09:21:00 PM »
Try to find Funnels and pinch points then hunt. Or even better, like the Wenzel's have mentioned a funnel inside a  funnel is even better.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 09:40:00 PM »
As much as I like hunting from the ground in natural material blinds, treestands prove to be the most productive for me. I hunt mostly smaller tracts of property so keeping my impact minimized is important.  Treestands close to the edge really seem to help with that.  I'll use a ladder stand or hang on depending on the situation and like stands 12 to 15 ft high for a 12-15 yard shot.  If you can leave the stand up, brushing it in some will help keep from being busted, altho movement and wind are the keys.

Have Fun!
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 10:20:00 PM »
I'm with McDave on this one. I like em 10-20 yards. I Use logs and brush in more open woods and cut subtle trails for them in the thick stuff to sort of steer them where I want them. 10 yards and closer and they catch any movement they freak out. Seems like you have more of a comfort/buffer zone for them where they feel somewhat safe even if they catch you move a little. Not to mention the scent factor is compounded up close too.  Just my opinion though.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 11:16:00 PM »
I have shot 4 deer this year. The farthest shot was 14yds. I like to throw a little hand throw corn out from 10-15yds out from my stand. If they come in and find it, it gets them to stop for a bit. Then it is just a waiting game for them to get in the correct position for a shot.

Bisch

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 09:25:00 AM »
I like to be tucked into the edge of the thick stuff they walk thru!   I'm lost in open woods I need low canopy with young tree growth, young pines growing everywhere, swampy ness, brush, scrub oaks..... remember hunting deer this close be real quiet with a stop grunt too load and they are gone.
"Us vs Them"

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 09:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tajue17:
I like to be tucked into the edge of the thick stuff they walk thru!   I'm lost in open woods I need low canopy with young tree growth, young pines growing everywhere, swampy ness, brush, scrub oaks..... remember hunting deer this close be real quiet with a stop grunt too load and they are gone.
That's how it is where I hunt. Lots of thick young pines, along with a mixture of creek bottom and oaks. Most of the mature pines were cut last summer so this year there will be some new growth/clearcut areas that will be pretty good too. Before I've always set up where I could shoot out to 30 yards, and tried to keep my shots under 25. The farthest I've ever shot a deer is about 22 yards. By next fall I hope to be able to shoot that far with my recurve, but I just want to be safe and not push it. Also I'm a fan of pop up blinds, and usually brush them in really good a few weeks prior to season. But I don't know how well that will work this year because my trad bow is so much longer. I may use homemade brush blinds and a ghillie suit a lot more.

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 10:37:00 AM »
A ghillie and playing the wind should get you close.  If you are too close, getting drawn is sometimes tough!  Have fun!

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 12:41:00 PM »
I like the deer to be no closer than 10 yds
12-15 is the best for me

Ive had a does 1 yard away from the tip of my arrow
Couldnt do anything but enjoy the moment
Slickhead

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 05:36:00 PM »
Cover and wind. I try and have as much hiding me as possible and use shooting lanes/holes.
Don't skyline yourself in a tree stand. Have a buddy sit up there and you look up. You would be surprised how badly you can stick right out.
Have good back cover to hide your silhouette.
Draw when the deer is behind brush or a tree.
Getting close is my favorite part. I like to see the ticks crawling in their fur before shooting!
David M. Conroy

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 05:37:00 PM »
Exaggerating about the ticks of course!
10-15 is ideal for me.
David M. Conroy

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 06:53:00 PM »
I still hunt because that is what I like to do, not because I am particularly effective...this is a great way to learn about deer behaviour even if it is not the major hunting method you use

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2015, 06:58:00 PM »
Most of my shots are between 15/20 yards.I am comfortable at those ranges and seem the game are also.Kip

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »
Hopefully before next deer season I'll be confident out to 20. That's plenty far for me. Right now I'd feel comfortable at about 7...maybe!! But it's only been a few weeks and I missed a week of shooting because of work. I'm not giving up!!

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2015, 08:38:00 PM »
I just noticed your in east tx, so am I! Where about are you?
We have a hog hunt coming up in April at the old sabine bottom wma if you wanna meet some tradgangers! A great group of guys and always room for one more!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2015, 09:37:00 PM »
I'm in Crockett. Old Sabine isn't too far from me. I've been watching that thread, and I may try to make it!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©