3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Don't pick the fruit before its ripe.......  (Read 1486 times)

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Don't pick the fruit before its ripe.......
« on: January 04, 2016, 02:41:00 PM »
.....six years ago I made the decision of holding out for a mature buck. This decision came to me after reading the books and watching the DVDs from the Brothers of the Bow. listening to thier words, I felt that it was a goal that I wanted to set for myself. Knowing that having a crazy personal life and limited time to hunt The past several years made it an even tougher plan to stick to.
I'm fortunate enough to have some pretty good property to hunt including I good hunk of land in an archery only zone. I've also been lucky to have taken some pretty good bucks over the last 35 years with both the wheel and stick bow. All were factors in my decision.

The one particular wood lot near my home in a bow only zone has held some beauties that I've had a tough time getting close too. This year I had high expectations although again, I had limited time to hunt.

Sign in my woods was unusualy sparse this year. However, I did find a set of huge rubs along an open hard wood ridge.

These rubs are all on the same tree!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Don't pick the fruit before its ripe.......
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 02:58:00 PM »
I haven't gotten around to being a trail cam guy, more so for fear of having it stolen, so I Never did get a picture of this buck. The last few years I've gotten glimpses of 140" bucks during the rut, so I was pretty confident that this was made by one of those bucks or thier offspring. It's all really open hard woods, so there's no real cover to hold a good buck so I'm pretty sure they're in there at night to feed on the white oak acorns or cruising the day during the rut.

Anyway, I had this guy come through and had him at 20 yards....

Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline stack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 03:00:00 PM »
AND????????????????

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 03:10:00 PM »
:campfire:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 03:15:00 PM »
I passed.  It was a tough decision, but I held off. I would think about it quite a bit afterwards, questioning my sanity. On one hand, he would be a great buck to take with any weapon, and I didn't have a lot of time to dedicate to this season.  On the other, I have taken a few bucks his size, and I knew there was a bigger buck somewhere in these woods. "A Bird in the Hand..."  I knew if I didn't take a bigger buck it would be hard for others to understand my decision.

Needless to say, I didn't take that bigger buck. I have no regrets or make no apologies. It's gives me more incentive to hunt those woods next season. Hopefully that buck who made the rubs will be back and the 10 in the pic will have another year to grow.  I am by no means a trophy Hunter, this is just a personal goal that I set for myself.  Thanks for taking the time to read this!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 03:42:00 PM »
If your good with you decision then so be it.
But frankly I think you nuts!

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 03:55:00 PM »
Oh no, what were you thinking....you have now made it a virtual certainty that you will never have another deer in bow range again, lol!  My personal "rule of thumb" when I switched to trad only many years ago is....if it's old enough to walk it's old enough to die!  Best of luck on your quest, I must eat.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline TxSportsman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 04:06:00 PM »
Hunting for meat, and hunting for personal goals can be very different things. You passed on an immature buck at 20 yards, your goal was to shoot a mature buck. I think you are closer to your goal then you were prior to that hunt. Well done and good luck going forward.
Sunset Hill - "Four Count"

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 05:25:00 PM »
When I we had many land owner acquired doe tags, we did the  same thing.  However, when there is a big deer around, it tends to draw crowds of hunters and some not on their best behavior.  Competition gets fierce and takes the adventure out of the hunt.  Now if I could get control of a a couple of square miles of Iowa hunting land, naw, the problem is with owning land of any size is the constant trespassers and night lighters when a big deer is on it.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 05:37:00 PM »
I usually  judge deer by close enough or too far but I respect a fella who chooses his own path and is more selective than myself.

Ill tell you this. Of the deer that Ive passed in my life, I never did regret the decision later on down the line. Nice buck brother and I hope he's "close enough" for you (or me) next year.    :goldtooth:

Online goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 05:37:00 PM »
That's a sharp looking Black Widow! !!!!

Best of luck to you and your endeavors with the "big" ones!

Good luck, shoot straight and God bless,

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 05:53:00 PM »
That's a great Buck!  I hope he makes it until you can have another opportunity at him.
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 05:54:00 PM »
Good on you for sticking to your goal!  I have dreams of a big one and know I must hold out. I have done so on travel trips, and gone home empty handed, no regrets.  At home if I can ever put an expanded zone doe in the freezer early I will join you in such a quest (maybe, I tend to get Eichler fever when a legal deer is in range)
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 05:54:00 PM »
Do what makes it fun for you. If waiting is what does it, then by all means wait!

Good luck next year!

Bisch

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 05:55:00 PM »
When the right deer comes by, you'll know it.  Even though that is one heck of a nice buck, if it didn't seem right then you made the right decision.  You'll always have a picture in your mind of him going by, and hopefully by next year he'll even gain a few more inches.  Nice pictures!     :thumbsup:

Bernie

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 05:59:00 PM »
Well Sean, I think its only a matter of time. Hopefully your work and life will allow more woods time during future seasons.  

That was sure a handsome deer you let walk... at this stage in my hunting career, I would have still been shaking in my tree at that encounter.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 05:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Izzy:
I usually  judge deer by close enough or too far but I respect a fella who chooses his own path and is more selective than myself.

Ill tell you this. Of the deer that Ive passed in my life, I never did regret the decision later on down the line. Nice buck brother and I hope he's "close enough" for you (or me) next year.     :goldtooth:  
Thanks for the support guys. Izzy, itd probably be a different story if I saw this guy in the Catskills!!  The 8 that I saw had about the same frame size.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 05:59:00 PM »
Sean, good for you, setting your own standards...

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 06:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by goingoldskool:
That's a sharp looking Black Widow! !!!!

Best of luck to you and your endeavors with the "big" ones!

Good luck, shoot straight and God bless,

Rodd
Thanks Rod, I have a weakness for Widows!!  That's the one the Boys made me for taking the big bear in the '12 BW bear hunt. I broke it in earlier this season with a fat Catskill mountan doe.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2016, 06:19:00 PM »
Sean, good call.......You need to save the room in your freezer for that giant you're going to arrow in Quebec
    :biglaugh:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©