3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Don't pick the fruit before its ripe.......  (Read 1484 times)

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Don't pick the fruit before its ripe.......
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2016, 06:33:00 PM »
We all get to set our own goals - I admire the fact that you set your goals and then stuck to them.  Good luck next year!
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2016, 06:36:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Dog:
Sean, good call.......You need to save the room in your freezer for that giant you're going to arrow in Quebec
     :goldtooth:
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2016, 07:43:00 PM »
Well written & well done my friend! Goals are personal and therefore matter most to the owner... May you find joy, peace, and satisfaction in the pursuit & journey toward your goal. You will know when the time is right. May God bless you in that endeavor.

One thing to remember, should your goal change or you choose to harvest a younger animal, you have no explaining to do, the choices/goals we make are personal...

That's a beautiful KB! Great thread, brought me joy to read it...

Take care, KAZ

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2016, 07:46:00 PM »
I respect a Fella that holds out for a great biggen. I`m not that guy. I have passed a few though...right over the top of their back.lol.RC

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2016, 07:47:00 PM »
I take it you dont think the pictured buck made the rub. Was he in an altogether different spot. Nice critter and hope you get him next year.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2016, 07:48:00 PM »
I have passed a few though...right over the top of their back.lol.RC   :D

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2016, 08:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Possum Head:
I take it you dont think the pictured buck made the rub. Was he in an altogether different spot. Nice critter and hope you get him next year.
No, I'm certain this was not the same buck. The track left by the buck that left the rub belonged to a VERY large bodied deer. I've seen some big deer in this wood lot over the years. I found a deer with the head cut off that weighed well over 200 lbs.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2016, 08:17:00 PM »
Right there with ya Sean, let a really nice 8 go by this early season. I'm still good with it even tho I haven't had anything close like him since.

I will shoot does tho on occasion....  :D
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2016, 09:02:00 PM »
I couldn't pass on that fella......but to each his own. I hope you have a great hunt in Quebec, I know I did last June. I'd sit on the Glove stand anytime.........   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2016, 09:20:00 PM »
Way to stick with your promises brother I know it's hard but uncle barry,gene definitely say the truth with that quote and I try and do the same but sometimes it doesn't happen with all of us!but on another note I do believe if your looking for meat shoot the doe and let the bucks grow I wish alot of hunters thought the same
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2016, 10:13:00 PM »
Thanks again all. This was the biggest buck that I've passed  on.  The spikes and fork horns were easy to let go.  As with most hunters on here, I have no problem shooting doe to fill the freezer.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2016, 09:49:00 AM »
I have passed on a lot of deer at very close distances while waiting for a mature buck on my property (which hasn't happened yet). That was my choice, and many guys choose to take these shots. This is also a good choice. I would like to say that when ole big boy came along, I drilled him dead center. Nope, one arrow went over and one went under.

Filling the freezer is not an issue as I can't any longer eat meat due to a health issue.  Fortunately, I do have somebody who will eat every scrap of venison I can take, so if I do connect nothing will go to waste.
Sam

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2016, 11:30:00 AM »
Nice buck. Hunting localities differ for all of us. Available hunting time, land access etc. all factor into what we decide to shoot when we are hunting. I have passed a lot of deer in previous seasons that I really had no business passing, and normally would end up eating my tag. I can honestly say that I do regret passing on some of them. But the majority of the time I never regret a thing.

Offline monk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2016, 12:15:00 PM »
Hey Sean. Great to hear from you and your exploits. Most of life is about 'waiting well'. Hang in there I'm w/you.

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2016, 02:08:00 PM »
Nice job if you feel good about it. That's all that really matters. I never know whether I will shoot something or not until it is in range.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2016, 02:59:00 PM »
What's cool about hunting is we can do it in our own way and speed... I mean for me, you couldn't pay me to hunt from a tree stand!... You have the courage of your convictions Sean... That in itself is a noble trait... All else will fall into place...

Happy New Year Buddy!

... mike ...   :archer2:   ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2016, 07:45:00 PM »
I commend you for sticking to your goals. I also fell in love with your Black Widow when I saw the picture! Even showed it to my wife with a big hint that I've always wanted a Black Widow.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2016, 06:16:00 AM »
Glad you are confident in your catch and release hunting. Its all an individual choice what we take or not. I am a hunter first and take the shots I'm presented with although I'd rather pass on young bucks and take does-better eating to my taste buds.Congrats on having the will power to pass in the hopes of him lasting another year.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2016, 09:59:00 AM »
Hard to tell from that one pic but I definitely wouldn't say that's an "immature buck", especially for Dutchess Co.   Will he be bigger and more mature next year? Sure, but they all will. There may be bigger bucks around but nobody should have to justify shooting (or not shooting)that buck.

Whatever decisions you make and goals you set are yours and yours alone. What anyone, including me, on this site or otherwise thinks is irrelevant. the only validation that matters is yours and your familys

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2016, 10:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by md126:
[QB] Hard to tell from that one pic but I definitely wouldn't say that's an "immature buck", especially for Dutchess Co.   Will he be bigger and more mature next year? Sure, but they all will. There may be bigger bucks around but nobody should have to justify shooting (or not shooting)that buck.

that Buck was in Westchester. I've hunted this piece for about 15 years and have taken a few bucks close to that size and have seen some true monsters in there over the years. That's why I'm so confident that it wasn't the same buck to make that rub line.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©