3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A cheap way not to loose your blunt arrows in the snow  (Read 711 times)

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
A cheap way not to loose your blunt arrows in the snow
« on: January 04, 2016, 04:04:00 PM »
It funny the things a guy thinks about when the deer season ends. I was laying in bed morning after  thinking now what's there to do. I was,thinking rabbits and squirrels. But like most I'm not rolling in the doe and I hate to loose arrows under the snow. I know about top hat heads and the Zwickey blunts but one is expensive and one is limited in weight. Then it hit me why couldn't I drill a hole in a beer cap or a pop cap and mount it behind my hex head. So a beautiful day today I decided to try it. My first test was,a big snow ball in the back yard I shot a regular arrow with just a hex on it and it zipped right through the 4 ft. Ball. Then tried one with the beer cap and only about 6 in of penetration. Shot a few more and was Impressed. Then I shot at the ground trying to loose one in the snow I could not loose it. I then started to pick out some natural targets my doggie let in the yard. I know gross but it was fun.i actually shot for quite a while at the Snow ball and the ground. The arrow would not travel far after impacting and a few times it would cartwheel like a Zwickey. Eventually the hole in the cap wore big and slid down the shaft. No bid deal plenty more where that come from.
accuracy was so so but for a day stumpin or small game fun. It's a cheap way to save your arrows.
Tim

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A cheap way not to loose your blunt arrows in the snow
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 04:22:00 PM »
its a pretty reasonable idea
TGMM Family of The Bow

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 04:48:00 PM »
Good excuse to drink more Dos Equis!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 05:09:00 PM »
Good idea, now come up with one for wood arrows.  My method is to buy the cheapest cedar shafts i can, find the cheapest whatever, for points. Throw away pipe with 11/32" inside diameter, for example.  Then I don't care so much if I lose them.  A friend of mine came up with the idea of winding pink thread around his arrows, keeping it in place with a bit of tape and then pull the tape before the shot.  That was way to much work, but it was easier to find a snaked arrow with a six foot trail of pink thread behind it.  My thing is that it has to go in and out of a back quiver easy.  When we get in a big farm grove full of bunnies things happen fast.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 05:29:00 PM »
Fender washer with a rubber washer works good too
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 05:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mr. fingers:
I then started to pick out some natural targets my doggie let in the yard. I know gross but it was fun.
Only a Ranger ...    :rolleyes:  

Signed,
A guy whose mom grew up in Embarrass    ;)

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 05:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by old_goat2:
Fender washer with a rubber washer works good too
I thought about using a washer but I did not want to add too much weight. Nice thing about the beer cap is the sharp edge has some cutting qualities and it actually kinda scoops the snow which aids in it slowing it down.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 05:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by eidsvolling:

Originally posted by Mr. fingers:
I then started to pick out some natural targets my doggie let in the yard. I know gross but it was fun.
Only a Ranger ...     :rolleyes:    

Signed,
A guy whose mom grew up in Embarrass     ;)  [/b]
Ha Ha. Guilty  I guess. My younger bro used to practice his golf swing hitting  those frozen things and trying to hit the back shed.  Made cleaning up after the dog fun I guess   :biglaugh:

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 06:26:00 PM »
I'm guessing you was using beer caps. That would explain thinking shooting at doggie poo was a good idea.
Seriously, great idea you had.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 06:40:00 PM »
I think that was how golf was invented, one Scotsman took a whack a sheep turd with his herding cane and another tried to out do him by proving he could knock a sheep turd into a gopher hole.  Once when I was a kid I bought three of the better arrows from the hardware store. They had the new nonskid points on them, liars!  The first shot I took in the pasture on the edge of town that arrow hopped skidded and to make it worse I got a pass through on a cow pie.  The stickiest cow pie in the world.  The trek that flowed through that pasture was septic from the town sewer.  I tried to wash it off by handling the arrow with two weed stalks, the arrow floated underneath a weedy bank, there was no way I was going to stick my whole hand in that to find my poopy arrow and it was gone forever.  I hate it still when I only get one shot out of new arrow.  DON'T SHOOT POOP!

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 06:41:00 PM »
My first double post in a while.

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 06:54:00 PM »
Q:  What is a cheap way not to loose your blunt arrows in the snow?

A: Live in Texas!!!

:laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:    

Bisch

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 07:04:00 PM »
MCNSC. Yes it was a beer cap. I needed to drink one to get the cap
Paven; is that true about how golf got invented or did you make that up?     :laughing:    Oh man you are funny!
lucky for me the poop I did hit was frozen.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 07:27:00 PM »
Flu Flus are a nice option as well provided you can get your hands on some.

Offline Paul Cousineau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 09:00:00 PM »
Good idea.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feast on the riches of the hunt. -Proverbs 12:27

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 09:33:00 PM »
Heck of a good idea! I'll try it. It won't be with any of the ****ty hoppy beer caps either.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 09:38:00 PM »
Heck of a good idea! I'll try it. It won't be with any of the ****ty hoppy beer caps either.

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 10:13:00 PM »
I fixed my spelling, I am trying to get my diction app to work better. Put it this way, give two Scotsmen each a skin full of the original Glenmorangie scotch, they are out there on the glade, what is now called St. Andrew the original golf course, watching sheep, they are not trad archers with a bunch of judo points, they got to be doing something for fun. They still have sheep on St. Andrews at times.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 10:35:00 PM »
One,thing I should add if you use carbons with the hit insert it might be wise to foot them . If you have normal inserts you should be fine. Amd twist off caps. They will eventually get bent up but easy to straighten and replace.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 12:14:00 AM »
Try a dusting of blue carpenters chalk dust on the fletchings.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©