3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 25 pound draw weight for 3D  (Read 758 times)

Offline canuck4570

• Trad Bowhunter
25 pound draw weight for 3D
« on: January 04, 2016, 05:46:00 PM »
25 pound for 3D
here in competition the max yardage is 35 yards

will this bow be ok

and what arrow would be ok for this set up

I prefer aluminium

Re: 25 pound draw weight for 3D
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 05:51:00 PM »
It would be fine if you can get used to the trajectory and aim it well.

As far as arrows, I bet you will need something real light spined, like a 1516 or something similar, if you can find it.

Bisch

Offline Possumjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 05:54:00 PM »
Pry be fun! I just got a 38 pounder for that reason. The only thing I noticed is you gotta pay more attention to your release than heavier bows

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 05:54:00 PM »
Some of the ladies here use them and one of them almost always wins, so, YES, it will work fine.

ChuckC

Offline canuck4570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 06:01:00 PM »
looking at Hoyt FITA style bow

will be shooting bare just with a arrow rest and burger button

what can I say old age

now i shoot a whip at 36 pounds love it
but shooting a lot and everyday are getting to me and before I get shoulder problems I wish to go down in draw weight

Offline ShooterF150

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 06:02:00 PM »
I have  A  26 lb for my wife  . And she Does  very  well with it.              her  arrows gold tip  1535  they  shoot  well.      Mike

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 06:02:00 PM »
There's a little lady here that shoots 25# from her bows. Right now I think she is using 800 spine carbons.

Offline canuck4570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 06:06:00 PM »
wanted to get another whip but with are dollars at 67 cent the bow will cost as much as a hoyt recurve competition bow
around $1500.oo

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 06:07:00 PM »
I use them in the classes I teach.  1616 aluminums work fine.  Mostly they come with points already glued in, which I think are 50 grain points.  The light points and the light shafts make up for the low weight, and the trajectory to 35 yards is fine.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline canuck4570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 06:18:00 PM »
would like the Easton X7 eclispe

1714 and 1814 X7 are 29 inches and over below this they are under 28 inches long from the factory

1914 x7 is what I am shooting in my whip with 100 gr tip and they shoot super great this at 36 pound  29inches

my question is with a arrow rest and burger button
and the window that these Hoyt riser have if I am not mistaken you need less soft spine for the paradox

correct me if I am wrong
looked up the Easton arrow selection chart and they say 1814 is perfect  ?????

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 06:31:00 PM »
I don't have a specific solution for you - McDave and several others have offered some.

Just a general suggestion, though. I bought some 800 spine carbons for my 38# bow. They are like tooth picks and the only points available were a little too light to tune the bow. Once I found the correct point weight for the bow, I chucked  a 5/16 point in the drill press and tapered the back edge with a file to match the shaft diameter. Works like a charm and pulls easily from the target.

You shouldn't have too much trouble, but if you have to go to a shaft that is a bit stiff to get the length you need, it's something that might help you.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline canuck4570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 06:39:00 PM »
thanks

will go to some FITA competition and see what arrow the lady's shoot with their low poundage bow

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 11:47:00 AM »
I have seen some shots from lightweight bows bounce off targets. It will probably be fine, but I am prejudiced towards heavier bows.
Sam

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 09:08:00 PM »
I built a set of VAPs for my wifes 25# bow.  They work real well.  Even here in AZ where you always hit a rock they don't break too often.  The outserts let you tune then with screw in points.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 08:31:00 AM »
Unless someone is physical limited, the idea of light bows for 3d escapes me. It is my personal opinion that there is a point where very light poundage bows substantially increase the potential for developing release problems, 25 lbs. would be well past that point for me and I'm 70. I shoot 3d with some friends, some of whom are a fair bit older than I am and none of them shoot anywhere near that light of a bow. Additionally, most people here hunt and 3d is practice for hunting so why shoot a bow you wouldn't hunt with?

Offline canuck4570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 08:45:00 AM »
what is there draw weight?

do they shoot everyday?

I am shooting 36# now but want to keep shooting for a longtime

but don't want do develop shoulder problem

I notice recently that the first few arrow the bow are painful  and specially when I want to scratch my back with this arm I can not reach hight and if I push to do so its painful

I want shoot for a couple day and see…...

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 09:34:00 AM »
Canuck4570,

if a #12 bow makes you feel more comfortable shooting, shoot it.  I will differ than Jim on opinion.  Shooting a light bow always helps help work on form and it always exposes release problems.  If you can shoot a #30 bow well, you can shoot a #40(given that the weight is not too heavy) even better, id bet.  

back to the OP, a #25 bow will work fine.  Just try to find some arrows that are around 225 grains including tips and you will have a heck of a 3D bow.  Some 3D courses can be pretty lengthy, up to 50 shots.  You definitely need to have a weight that you can manage comfortably, and no matter what anyone says, it's your bow, and more importantly, YOUR ENJOYMENT!  

You could have a number of problems going on.  I have had bursitis pretty much my whole life.  If I do too much of anything, I will get some pretty good joint pain.  I am no doctor, and this may seem counter productive, but get you some type of thera-bands and do some work outs at home.  If you strengthen the muscles around the joint, it will help.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline canuck4570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 09:44:00 AM »
Danie iB89

you made my day

My whip bow is my first traditional bow and I took it a 36# so I could get good at the sport without hurting myself

in 2 years I am at the point that its easy to hit 4 inch circle at 20 yards
 but getting there took a lot of shooting everyday

and I love the sport so I want to keep on shooting for a long time

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 10:37:00 AM »
That is great.  Majority of the people take the opposite route and overbow themselves at fist.  they get a #60 bow bc that's what they shot with their compound.  Just do what you enjoy bud.  But i think you could shoot the #36 while shooting 3d.  Just practice with it.  The muscles will strengthen themselves quickly.  Even if you just draw and let down, it will benefit you.  When the shoulder starts hurting, ice and ibuprofen will be your best friend.  Don't kill yourself, but do what it takes to shoot the #36 bow.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 10:49:00 AM »
Daniel, I agree with you that light poundage bows are great to work on form and that they always expose form issues. That is my point, as a primary bow they also increase the risk of the shooter developing these form issues. And as you say if a person can shoot a 30 lb. bow well they can shoot a 40 lb. bow even better if the shooter is physically able. canuk4570 is considering going from 38 down to 25 lbs. which is even a greater difference in poundage. Again, my read on this is my personal opinion but why would someone shoot bow poundage well under what they are capable of when as you say they will shoot the higher poundage that they are capable of better?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©