3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best merino base layers  (Read 910 times)

Offline little_feather

• Trad Bowhunter
Best merino base layers
« on: January 04, 2016, 08:38:00 PM »
Ok guys,

I'm a sweater... whether walking a mile or more, or 150 yards to a set, I'm sweating. I've tried scent blocker regular and fleece base layers along with patagonia capilene. I've double up on the capilene using capilene silk weight under capilene mid weight, and capilene under the scent blocker. I'm at my wits end. Tired of freezing my butt off, so I want to try merino. Hoping to get ideas of what to look for in a quality base layer for moisture wicking and warmth.

Anyone else out there a sweater like me?

Thanks in advance!

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best merino base layers
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 08:54:00 PM »
minus 33
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 08:54:00 PM »
Part of the solution might involve better venting. I won't buy shell jackets and similar pieces for the backwoods without pit zippers. And as far as I'm concerned, the notion that chest zippers are an effective substitute is believed only by product designers who never leave the confines of Boulder and various SoCal locations.

As to your specific request for good merino baselayers, as an owner of every baselayer fabric available since cotton flannel, I can recommend the Minus33 stuff, particularly if you can find good discounts or don't mind the stiff prices:

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 08:55:00 PM »
Quite the echo in here!   ;)

Offline little_feather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 09:00:00 PM »
In case it helps with responses, I pack all my outerwear on my pack/climber when walking in. Not too concerned about venting until I get to the stand, but I see where you're going with that

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 09:02:00 PM »
First Lite makes some awesome base and mid layers in Merino.  Worth the money!

Everyone here seems to like Fred Asbell wool outer layers.  I am happy with them.

One tip about getting sweaty.  Start the walk to the stand cold, very cold, even very underdressed. It won't be long till you warm up from the walk. Put all your other clothes in a bag and carry them along.  If you still get hot, stop and breath.  Then get fully dressed once near stand and spray down with Code Blue.  

Simple and common sense but i never want to be "wet" when i get to my stand. It works well for me but I am not a heavy sweater.

(Well I guess others posted while I was typing.  Anyway I answer your question, First Lite)
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline little_feather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 09:07:00 PM »
Here's a question... does it defeat the purpose if I were to wear the silk weight patagonia under the merino?

The capilene is meant to wick moisture, but I have questions on how effectively sweat will wick from that into the wool.

Did I just answer my own question? Lol

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 09:45:00 PM »
I only have experience with First Lite merino wool, and I absolutely love it!!!!

Bisch

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 10:08:00 PM »
As mentioned, if your not cold at the truck, your dressed too heavy. Carry your outer layers to the stand.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline TxSportsman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 10:10:00 PM »
I love First Lite Merino Wool for base and mid layers!
Sunset Hill - "Four Count"

Offline yth-mnstr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 10:22:00 PM »
Wool power from 3 rivers.  It is pricey, but I've been using the same set since 2004.
justin ammons

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 10:30:00 PM »
This season I purchased a set of LL Bean Cresta mid weight 250 Merino wool base layers and I have been VERY pleased with them. Before next fall I will have a lighter weight pair as well. If you look into the LL Bean Merino base layers I will add that surprisingly their sizes seem to run a bit large. I normally need XXL in everything but if I bought these again I would go with XL instead.

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 10:30:00 PM »
Filson heavy weight merino thermals. Awesome.

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 10:55:00 PM »
I purchased First Lite just before Christmas and have now wore them about 4 times since getting a cold spell.  Mine are the Light and Mid weight and I have been pleased with everything about them.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline cynical_ant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 11:07:00 PM »
Icebreaker! First Lite is good too, but Icebreaker was the first to bring Merino to the masses. They have limited camo options, but lots of earth tones. I wear base, mid, and heavy weight layers, plus socks(which they have some that are hunter/fisher specific. Awesome) on my hunt with Fujimo in November I was full wool, plus my Helly Hansen Imperteck rain gear, and an ASAT suit over top. Was really comfortable.
Beauforttrad.com

Offline cynical_ant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 11:08:00 PM »
Icebreaker! First Lite is good too, but Icebreaker was the first to bring Merino to the masses. They have limited camo options, but lots of earth tones. I wear base, mid, and heavy weight layers, plus socks(which they have some that are hunter/fisher specific. Awesome) on my hunt with Fujimo in November I was full wool, plus my Helly Hansen Imperteck rain gear, and an ASAT suit over top. Was really comfortable.
Beauforttrad.com

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 08:32:00 AM »
I am in the same boat as you.   Do yourself a favor and just do it.    I struggled for a long time justifying paying that much money for long johns.   I finally did it and bought some minus 33 bottoms and a quarter zip top.    First thought was how much more comfortable they were.    I liked them immediately.   As mentioned already,  carry most of your layers in your pack.  Unless it is bitter cold , I only wear my merino top while walking out to hunt.  It may feel cold at first but you will warm up walking.   Better to be chilly at first and comfortable on stand , than hot walking in and sweaty and cold once on stand.    The merino wool breathes , not wind proof but warm.   Also even if you sweat wool keeps insulating.   Another plus is that it doesn't stink .   I can wear it for weeks and it still doesn't smell.    
     Unfortunately mine were stolen out of my truck on a fishing trip, so I am in the market for another set.     The big auction site is usually the cheapest but shop around.     Didn't mean to be so long winded but I was in the same boat you are and waited way to long to finally take the plunge.
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2016, 08:36:00 AM »
I recommend the quarter zip top so you can regulate the heat better as well.   It zips down to about the center of your chest .  I was glad I got it instead of the regular pullover.    Hope some this helps.
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 11:22:00 AM »
I use and very much like First Lite base layers. I just wonder why there are no manufactures making a turtle neck merino wool base layer.

Ron

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 12:50:00 PM »
First Lite
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©