3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool hunting clothes. What else do I need?  (Read 1090 times)

Offline JARHEAD1371

• Trad Bowhunter
Wool hunting clothes. What else do I need?
« on: January 05, 2016, 11:09:00 AM »
I have recently purchased some first lite items (Chama QZ shirt and Kanab 2.0 pants) and I'll be ordering a couple Asbell pullovers in the next few days. I also have a couple icebreaker Ika leggings on the way (great sale going on right now). I'm concerned about hunting on the windy days. What do y'all use for outerwear that stops the wind? I like the Cabela's sweaters or jackets with the Windshear lining, but I have read they are too loud for bow hunting. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Active Duty Marines '96-'04 Medically Retired

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool hunting clothes. What else do I need?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 11:37:00 AM »
Good socks, boots, and a cold weather hat are important. Gloves that are warm and still light enough to handle the bow are important. Some sort of face mask is helpful, especially in the wind. Chemical warmers are indispensable  for both hands and feet. I am diabetic, so I sometimes have to dress heavier than most for our local climate.

Don't wear all your stuff to the stand. Instead, carry your outer wear so you don't sweat on the way in, otherwise you will freeze you butt off no matter what.

For bottom layers I like the lightweight silk underwear in the ski catalogs along with merino wool undies.
Sam

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 11:53:00 AM »
For outer wear I use a Sitka Gear 90% Jacket.  With layers I cam wear it pretty much 90%  :)  on the time.  On really cold days I wear Wool coat with layers.  Keeps enough of the wind out and lets my body breath.
T ZZZZ

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 01:24:00 PM »
For those cool days where a wool shirt isn't enough, I have an outer shell I bought 25 years ago in Germany. It is dead soft and completely quiet with a really thin lining and GoreTex type membrane. Its a very pale dead green color; not camo, but really disappears in the woods. A lot of our hunting clothing is much too dark. Wish I could find a replacement that is soft, quiet, thin and wind and water proof.

For anything other than sub-zero temps, I find it easiest to wear the light outer shell and adjust the warmth by varying the amount of under-layers I wear - a wool shirt, light wool sweater and then the wind-proof outer shell. I can unzip or completely remove the outer shell while walking out to my blind.

When it hits the minus number, insulated coveralls are the only way for me.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 02:56:00 PM »
FWIW, the cabelas Berber line with windshear is not too noisy to hunt in, at least for the pants and the vests.  I have several of the vests and use them all the time.  The Berber pants are very warm.  I save them for when it is really cold.

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 03:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by JARHEAD1371:
I have recently purchased some first lite items (Chama QZ shirt and Kanab 2.0 pants) and I'll be ordering a couple Asbell pullovers in the next few days. I also have a couple icebreaker Ika leggings on the way (great sale going on right now). I'm concerned about hunting on the windy days. What do y'all use for outerwear that stops the wind? I like the Cabela's sweaters or jackets with the Windshear lining, but I have read they are too loud for bow hunting. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the heads up on the icebreaker sale.   I had an older coat for cabelas that had windstop in that was noisy so I sold it.  The last few pieces I have bought with wind stop are pretty quiet.
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 03:52:00 PM »
Gloves ,Mittens, and good sunglasses for the snow...Semper Fi
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 04:40:00 PM »
Depends on your hunting style, environment, season, etc. I use much of what you listed- particular to merino for baselayers.  

For midwest late fall/colder stand whitetail hunting I use Predator or Day One fleece jackets.  Both have dead quiet windstop (besides Predator told me they actually use 2 layers of windstop!)  

I use FL stuff for various apps.  The pants will be a little light for colder stand hunting, but great for early fall and even Spring turks, while it is particular for moderate weather active hunting like western mt. hunting. On western/AK/remote spot/stalk hunting I use the tech layering systems: Merino base layers. Various mid layer apps.  My outer layer of either a rain jacket or a type of soft shell, both which block the wind.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline kparrott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 04:44:00 PM »
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=wooltimate&x=10&y=6&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

I sat out this morning in 16 degree weather with Cabela's Wooltimate bibs and parka. I wore Cabela's polar fleece pants and shirt, jeans, and a hoodie underneath and stayed warm. The Wooltimate is on sale right now.

Offline bluemoonrising

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 04:45:00 PM »
Get a wool vest from Two Tracks. Their wool is on steroids. It's super thick, warm and comfy. I believe it's wool felt--about "3" times thicker than regular wool. A natural wind breaker. Also, Chuck and Chris are super people to deal with.

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 05:14:00 PM »
I have a cabelas coat and vest with windshear lining and it is not loud at all and works great.
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 05:59:00 PM »
I have a Cabela's sweater with the wind shear.  I does make a noticeable noise when I move.  It is great, but on a quiet day it could alert deer.  How do you like the Kanab pants?
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 07:02:00 PM »
If its windy enough for me to wear a windshear liner, its usually noisy enough for the wind and tree noise to somewhat hide it.
David M. Conroy

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 07:30:00 PM »
Merino wool base layers, Cabelas Wooltimate jacket and pants with Asbels wool pullover underneath. Don't wear the jacket for the walk in to the stand. Liner does not make noise after washing. Merino wool or fleece neck gaiter, Stormy Kromer wool hat, Wooltimate wind proof gloves or liner gloves and fingerless wool gloves.
I think I like wool.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 07:32:00 PM »
Just to re-emphasize my post above.  I am noise paranoid- particularly for these late winter hunts where it is brisk and dead quiet. Predator Fleece with two layers of their "windstop" is DEAD QUIET!  I don't know how they do it.  On the other hand, I have had Cabelas windshear sweater and it is like wearing a crinkly plastic bag in comparison.  

My 2c
Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline JARHEAD1371

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 08:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by maineac:
I have a Cabela's sweater with the wind shear.  I does make a noticeable noise when I move.  It is great, but on a quiet day it could alert deer.  How do you like the Kanab pants?
I don't actually have the pants yet, they should be her in the next few days.

Offline JARHEAD1371

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 08:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by kparrott:
 http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=wooltimate&x=10&y=6&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products  

I sat out this morning in 16 degree weather with Cabela's Wooltimate bibs and parka. I wore Cabela's polar fleece pants and shirt, jeans, and a hoodie underneath and stayed warm. The Wooltimate is on sale right now.
Your link is exactly what I have been looking at and trying to decide what to get.

Offline JARHEAD1371

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2016, 08:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by YORNOC:
If its windy enough for me to wear a windshear liner, its usually noisy enough for the wind and tree noise to somewhat hide it.
That is my line of thinking as well. Normally I won't use it, but if it's windy enough to justify wearing it the wind should cover any noise when I move.

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 08:38:00 PM »
Cabelas wooltimate is great.   I have the pants , vest, and jacket and love them  .   Great for cold weather , and quiet .
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 09:01:00 AM »
If it's windy enough to worry about wind-blocking clothing than I wouldn't worry about the noise. All my WindStopper gear is quiet enough.

My heavy wool and/or Sitka Fanatic is all I need to stay warm and block the wind

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©