3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A new ladder stand......?  (Read 1370 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
A new ladder stand......?
« on: January 05, 2016, 06:14:00 PM »
I'm a ground guy but I know things tend to be more productive up in the air. Thinking about a new ladder stand and just thinking about the height. I see them from 15' to over 20', I'm not much on to high. Will the lower stands be good enough if set up with the wind and cover in mind. Thanks for your wisdom in advance.......   :notworthy:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A new ladder stand......?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 06:16:00 PM »
Choose your placement wisely, reference cover, prevailing winds, etc.  and the shorter 15 to 17 footers work just fine.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 06:20:00 PM »
Short answer, YES!
I think my tallest stand is 16' but most are 12 to 14. I've got a few that are as low as 8' and as long as I get it tucked back in cover, I am still getting shots. Still have to play the wind but even the 8' seems to get you up enough to get away with a little movement.
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 06:20:00 PM »
Ladder stands are stable so doing 20FT isnt sketchy, They are heavy and a pain to carry in deep to a spot. but they do have great comfort for long sits. put it out early and let them get use to it being there.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 06:25:00 PM »
Ron : You don't need to be up twenty feet with a ladder stand 12 to 15 is more than enough.
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline kleine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 06:25:00 PM »
I only buy the 15 foot two man ladder stands and take the shooting rails completely off. I have no need to be any higher and I like the large seat width, I feel a little safer. Some of my ladder stands I've even cut down a little shorter to 12 ft.
Striker Fastback 58" 50#@28"
Bear T/D - A 56" 47#@28"
Holm-Made Shrike 64" 49#@28”
Holm-Made River Runner Static 58” 48#@28”
BW PL III 47#@28" 64"
BW PCH CARBON 45#@28" 58"

Offline flyflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 06:26:00 PM »
One of my favorite and most productive stands is an 8' ladder stand tucked into a cedar tree. I can stand on the ground and reach up on tip toes and touch the foot rest. With the right cover you don't have to be sky high.

Online CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 06:58:00 PM »
I've got a question for you guys that hunt ladder stands a lot. Do you stand up to shoot, or do you shoot from a sitting position?

Offline sidekick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 07:06:00 PM »
I stand up when shooting my trad bows. I can remain seated if need be if shooting my bow that is unmentionable on this site.

Online CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 07:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by sidekick:
I stand up when shooting my trad bows. I can remain seated if need be if shooting my bow that is unmentionable on this site.
Haha!! I hear ya. I've been shooting one of those too out of a ladder and I normally shoot sitting down. Trying to figure out how to get it done with the recurve. Lock on's may be the way to go.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 07:11:00 PM »
Ron, Pm sent.

Depending on the tree and cover available, you will determine how high you need to be.  I've used just the top section with good success inside a  pine tree. I think it was about 5 or 6 feet off the ground.  Remember, you can always build cover around your platform also.  I know you are skilled enough to figure something out.

Sometimes if placed on a hill, you want to be high enough that the deer will not be at eye level if coming from above you, but the down hill shots can look really long.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 07:17:00 PM »
Too bad you dont live in Ohio
Id make you a heack of a deal on a ladder stand
I just cant get use to them
Slickhead

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 07:19:00 PM »
Ron, wish I could remember who posted recently about killing from a ladder stand that had been in place long enough for junk to grow up in it. You may remember having read it. Anyhow perhaps well before time to hunt you could run some foliage between rungs to give her a little help. Sounds like you are playing it smart an preparing early for next year. Best wishes and let us know how your practice sessions go. As for me I prefer to stand on an approach as a last minute change in direction can leave a seated hunter without an opportunity. I shoot fine seated provided I have lower limb clearance and the critter stays on my left side (right handed).

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 07:29:00 PM »
Shot plenty from a 12' ladder stand, always standing up.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 07:35:00 PM »
If you purchase a ladder stand make sure it has a more than adequate platform to stand on.  Many of them are barely bigger than the length of your boots.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 08:49:00 PM »
Many thanks for the input......I knew I could count on you folks!!   :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 09:17:00 PM »
Ron

A couple ideas

1. Pick a platform seat combo you can always eliminate sections to get to a comfortable height

2. I'd shy away from cheap square tubing they seem flimsy to me.  I'm searching for a good 2 man stand to take my daughter with next fall one design change I've noticed is manufacturers offering elliptical tubes. I saw one at dicks called outpost XL I believe much stronger more rigid than square profile economy stands of course you pay more.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2016, 09:37:00 PM »
Placement, cover and wind are much more important than height, IMO.  I'll hunt as low as I can get decent cover.  Ladders are also easier to brush in if cover is scarce.  One thing I almost insist on is a full platform and flip up seat.  Dick's has a pretty good model in the Lookout deluxe, esp for the price.  The Rivers Edge Bowman is also nice and has a great seat.  Be aware too, that the advertised height is to the highest part of the stand like the arm rest or shooting rail, not the platform.  You can always subtract 2 feet or so to get the real platform height.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=147350#000000
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 11:11:00 PM »
I have killed a few out of ladders but my biggest gripe is that I can not get my body close enough to the tree when standing.  With my lock ons I can fold up the seat and really get close to the tree to blend in and not be silouetted. Tuck it in good cover and the lower ones will be just fine.
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Offline shadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 12:05:00 AM »
You can buy stands with a platform that extends all the way to the tree and a seat that flips up. I wouldn't buy one without those features.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©