3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A new ladder stand......?  (Read 1371 times)

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A new ladder stand......?
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 06:40:00 AM »
get a comfy seat if one doesn't come with the stand.  sitting on metal grate is tiresome!

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2016, 07:14:00 AM »
Ok heres my two cents worth. First the height is not a problem as all has already been mentioned. Second not to long ago someone asked about the best ladder stand and one of the Wensels recommended a stand from Dicks delivered to your from like $60 and I believe it was like 15'. If it's good enough for them than I'd say its good enough for anyone,

With all that said I hate ladder stands for the following reasons. Hard to put up, hard to move and as such most folks leave them out year around. Being a dumb ol electrician and bowhunter I've never seen anything left outside year around have a long life span especially strapped to a tree. One also has to consider the metal is usually from the global economy side of the world.

I just can't see the benefit over using rapid rails and a hang on. Easier to hang, move, take down, can be used on a lot different trees and easy to height adjust by using less rails! I usually pick my rails up end of season sales for $34 bucks. Your mileage may vary
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 09:42:00 AM »
Ron:

If your stand placement is semi-permanent, I like a 10' ladder with a platform and an hang-on stand above (gets you to about 12-15 feet). The ladder with platform is much safer to climb and you can just step onto the hang-on. I have a couple of ladder stands and they seem to always "creek" and "pop" when you move.  Personally, I much prefer a Hang-On type with a big platform.  

Recently, I purchased a Millenium M-25 ($99.00 at Amazon with free shipping) and it is rock solid with a lot of room on the platform.  It also has a net-type seat, which is very comfortable.

Best of luck.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2016, 10:30:00 AM »
Last year, I passed up a shot on a big ole matriarch doe I call dildo, because she has stuck it to me so many times. I couldn't stand up and was hesitate to shoot her sitting down. This year I drilled two while sitting with no problem.
Dildo is still out there, and if she gets any bigger, her head will be outside her ears.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2016, 12:00:00 PM »
I have a couple 15/16 ft ladder stands that I purchased cheap at seasons end. I tote them into my public hunting area, minus one section, which makes them about 10 ft. to seat. The stands are extremely stable and I can be easily carried fully assembled over a mile off the beaten path. The stands I purchase are all metal construction and although you can shoot standing, I prefer to shoot from a sitting position. The older I get(69 in May) the more I find myself hunting from the ground but I do not hesitate to hunt from 8 to 10 ft. up when the opportunity presents its self.    :campfire:

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2016, 04:45:00 PM »
Ron, I have several ladder stands up in the woods, Two of them are 15', the third (and newest member) is a 16' stand but I only use 2 of the three sections so I reckon it's 10-11' off the ground, tucked up against a thick old pine and it's blown-down diagonal upper half. I shot 2 deer out of that stand this year, so I know you don't have to go high if you've got the wind and cover right. PS I also bought these neat little things that stick into the ground, hold the bottom of the legs of the stand and allow me to "walk" the stand up alone! They actually work.

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2016, 05:33:00 PM »
I like hunting from ladder stands. Mine are 15-20 feet. Thinking of selling a couple and replacing them with a fold up seat model.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2016, 08:23:00 PM »
Ron, you'll be fine. Just make sure you get a model like the Lookout Deluxe from Dick's that the seat folds up and allows you to get close to the tree....great price too!

When Cade started hunting I bought 3, and they've worked out great.

Good luck!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2016, 03:39:00 PM »
I got a stand at Dick's today, a lookout basic for 79$. They were sold out of the better models, this should work well for me in the bow only zone. Thanks for all the input and PM's with advice.......   :notworthy:    :notworthy:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2016, 09:43:00 PM »
My best advice to you would be to also check out a lifeline/ safety line system to go with your new ladder stand.  You clip your harness to a prusik hitch loop, and you are protected from the first step off the ground until you unhook after the completion of your hunt and descent.  

There are several manufacturers of these type products.  I have one on every ladder stand for my safety since I have medical problems that screw with my balance. The one I found that I really like is from safetreehunt.com .
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2016, 11:21:00 AM »
Also make sure it has a seat that folds up against the tree. Some of them don't and that leaves you with a very small area to stand on out from the tree.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2016, 08:18:00 PM »
Ron:  Check out the Leverege 5200 telescoping ladder stand available from  www.treestandsinc.com  or through the big auction site.  Three ladder sections that telescope to set the platform at a maximum of 12 feet, seat 2 feet higher, or as little as 4 feet in one foot increments.  Constructed differently than most other ladder stands.  

It's basically a well made hang on stand with a ladder attached.  No cables from the vertical seat posts to the platform to interfere with bow limbs or any other hunter movement, and no bars restricting your legs and overall movement. Seat folds against the tree if you wish to stand to shoot or just to stand for a while. I've looked at a lot of ladder stands, and this is the best one I've found.  And they're selling them at a huge discount right now.  Good luck.

Offline PASQUINELL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2016, 09:10:00 PM »
I was a guest at a new location and given a ladder to hunt from. It was an old one with a cheese grater for a seat. It took me two weeks to get the 10,000 dimples outa my butt. Get one that the comfy seat folds up to tree.
"I can skin a GRIZZ as fast as you can catch um"...HA! stay right there pilgrim I'll be back!
JOHN 3:16

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2016, 10:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by LC:
Ok heres my two cents worth. First the height is not a problem as all has already been mentioned. Second not to long ago someone asked about the best ladder stand and one of the Wensels recommended a stand from Dicks delivered to your from like $60 and I believe it was like 15'. If it's good enough for them than I'd say its good enough for anyone,

With all that said I hate ladder stands for the following reasons. Hard to put up, hard to move and as such most folks leave them out year around. Being a dumb ol electrician and bowhunter I've never seen anything left outside year around have a long life span especially strapped to a tree. One also has to consider the metal is usually from the global economy side of the world.

I just can't see the benefit over using rapid rails and a hang on. Easier to hang, move, take down, can be used on a lot different trees and easy to height adjust by using less rails! I usually pick my rails up end of season sales for $34 bucks. Your mileage may vary
LC,
Can you provide a link to the thread where the Wensel's gave their recommendation for the Dick's ladder stand? I'd be interested in knowing the model they suggested and checking it out.
Thanks.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2016, 10:57:00 PM »
I'm not LC, but here you go-

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=147350#000003

He recommends Comfort Zone Deluxe 16' from Dick's Sporting Goods- on clearance for $79.
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2016, 10:59:00 PM »
I saw somewhere in a different thread that he recommends AGAINST the 15' Standard Comfort Zone version.
Daryl Harding

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2016, 12:21:00 AM »
Look for simple Christmas garland at yard sales and thrift stores to wrap around the ladders and such. Wrap now for next fall. The deer will get used to it and it will lose its smell, if it has any.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2016, 08:11:00 AM »
Thanks, Hawkeye!

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2016, 09:30:00 AM »
I've had deer actually scratch their necks on my stand. It has been up awhile but the loggers cut their normal path off and they came closer. Two years ago I had a fork rubbing a tree in front if my stand while a spike was rubbing his neck on my ladder. It was like he was waiting his turn. You can hide them easy enough.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2016, 10:02:00 PM »
If you get 10-12' up, in the right place, you will be golden! Just make sure you get a ladder stand without handrails. All handrails do is mess up perfectly good shooting opportunities!

I shot a pig from the seated position in a 12' ladder stand last Friday!

Bisch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©