3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New bow, Old ways  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Marksman Quivers

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Premium Custom Quivers
    • MARKSMAN QUIVERS
New bow, Old ways
« on: January 07, 2016, 05:11:00 AM »
I have written another story , hope you guys enjoy it.

NEW BOW, OLD WAYS

“Walk until you see their backs, move forward lower, rise and shoot”

As my headlights pierced the darkness illuminating the road ahead, I cursed the sun that was already on its way to ever certain victory of overpowering darkness.
I was late. My 4 o’clock start was now 4.45 due to my alarm not going off.  As I drove on hastily I began to ponder how much we rely on technology in this modern age and how one day this may be the down fall of us all. I glanced down to my left and caught a faint glimmer of the white lines that flowed through the riser of my new bow. This set me thinking that although a bow of modern materials and somewhat new design, it was still a link to the past to a time when things were done in what we consider the hard way. I was thankful that in a time when things have become so easy with the advent of technology that many of us still take the less easy path and hunt with a bow and arrows. I drove on.
When I arrived my friend was ready and waiting and after apologise and a change of plan due to my lateness we continued on. We headed to a vantage point where we sat and glassed for many hours. Darkness had now been subdued for some time and morning was coming to an end. We decided to head into the bush as no deer had revealed themselves to our ever watchful eyes.
As we walked, the sun shone down and I was happy to make the bush edge and enter into the broken shadows, this gave some relief from the ever pressing sun. It was in these broken shadows that we sat for another few hours ready for the glimpse of a deer rousing from slumber to head out from safety to appease their appetite. Again nothing was seen and the friendly wind was beginning to change with thoughts of betrayal. At this time it was decided that we take our que from the deer and fulfil our ever growing appetite so off we walked for a feast of poultry on a baker’s bun.
On our return again nothing would be seen, although puzzled our spirits were still high as we checked another area and ran a few errands. This continued till afternoon was upon us and the sun had started to cool. For one last look we would go and on arrival our hopes were renewed.

Several Hinds and a lone stag feeding contently in the mild afternoon sun, the worked ivory tips of his antlers flickered in the broken light as his head bobbed while he searched for the tender pick around him.

Now was the time for haste and for the hunt. As a plan was made haste was the main part, for we knew where the deer were heading and if they made to far over the ridge there would be no shot in range and no cover to go further.

Offline Marksman Quivers

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Premium Custom Quivers
    • MARKSMAN QUIVERS
Re: New bow, Old ways
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 05:17:00 AM »
My pace quickened across the paddock and up to the foot of the grassy ridge, here I slowed.
My Heart was pumping and the feeling of the stalk was flowing through me, I slowly pushed on as I tried to control what was happening inside.

Thoughts rushed into my head, this was the first time I had hunted with this new bow, new arrow and new broadhead combination, I even had a new hat too. I hoped this new combination would serve me well on its first endeavour.
When I crested the ridge I saw no deer.
As I continued edging forward a point drew my attention, in fact there were two points honed white that rose from beneath the horizon then withdrew from my sight. This immediately set me racing and the words rang true.

“Walk until you see their backs, move forward lower, rise and shoot”
This I did and as I rose I was greeted by two tannin stained antlers long and sharp, a dark brown coat that was catching the sunlight, highlighting the different muscle groups on this rut weary stag and then the front leg .
All my concentration honed in as I drew my new bow welcoming the comfy tension as I eased back into my anchor, then a pause and the arrow was gone.

Offline Marksman Quivers

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Premium Custom Quivers
    • MARKSMAN QUIVERS
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 05:22:00 AM »
Deep into the side of the stag my arrow penetrated just leaving the yellow fletches exposed like a lone flower sprouting from a dry dirt bank. As I was taking in the scene in front of my eyes, the rest of my body caught up and I was suddenly aware of the many fleeing deer charging in every direction from further below the crest.

I relayed the shot to my friend as we waited the long wait, then it was time to take up the trail. We had no trouble finding it, as blood was apparent immediately, with plentiful sign, we followed to where the stag had stood for a while showing signs of blood flowing from both sides of his chest. Apprehensively we continued further, noting how much blood the 3 blade broadheads had created.

Offline Marksman Quivers

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Premium Custom Quivers
    • MARKSMAN QUIVERS
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 05:28:00 AM »

Through the scattered timber with the sun and shadows dappled by the swaying leaves, we came upon the final resting place of this battle scared stag, enduring all his afflictions of ruts past but fallen to a single arrow from a modern weapon in an old way.

I marvelled at the beast that lay before me, taking in his scarred cape and his swollen flesh beneath his eye and wondered about the ferocity of the battle that would inflict such lingering wounds.

And then of the wound I had created, more fatal than the others that adorned this stags hide. He was more broadside when I took the shot and what I thought was an angle that would have the arrow ranging forward into the opposite front leg was in fact a hit through the back of the lungs and liver, still a fatal hit.

Offline Marksman Quivers

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Premium Custom Quivers
    • MARKSMAN QUIVERS
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 05:31:00 AM »

We captured the hunt with many photos, and then pressed on in the afternoon sun to recover the whole carcass for its meat of which was all utilized to the effect of sausages and jerky of which I remember this hunt after every mouthful.

Kind regards
Mark.

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 06:10:00 AM »
Great story and fine stag, congrats on the hunt. Guess the new bow worked to your satisfaction.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 06:41:00 AM »
Very nice.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 07:20:00 AM »
Well told story Mate.

Beautiful animal, great hunt and good shot!  That looks like an animal I would like to try hunting one day!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline 2nocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 08:06:00 AM »
well done!

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 08:35:00 AM »
Fine looking deer and great story!! Congrats! Thanks

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 09:41:00 AM »
Cool pics and story! Congrats!   :thumbsup:
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 09:59:00 AM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    Well done!!!!

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 01:04:00 PM »
Well done mate-Hap

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 02:19:00 PM »
Love it!

Well told story and awesome hunt   :campfire:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 03:14:00 PM »
That was fun, thank you for the story and pictures. I cannot believe has thick the bases are on those critters.... You did good!

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 03:24:00 PM »
Enjoyed the story. Congrats!!

Offline Marksman Quivers

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Premium Custom Quivers
    • MARKSMAN QUIVERS
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 04:33:00 PM »
Cheers guys for your compliments.
I don't think I said in the story, but the species of deer is a Javan Rusa.
They are a fine animal and good to eat.
Mark.

Offline Spitz2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 04:23:00 AM »
congrats !

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 06:36:00 AM »
I love this site!

Great story, well told. Fine looking animal(and bow).

Your outfit should answer the "how much camo does one need?" Apparently just a neck/face cover. Oh, and a few blades of grass!

Thanks for sharing.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Hickrylb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 10:03:00 AM »
Great stag ,and wonderful story thanks for bringing us all along with you.
I like building HICKORY selfbows,#45lb Kodiak hunter,50#lb Bear Byron Ferguson Royal Safari,Indian Archery 35#lb recurve,Petry snake backed selfbow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©