3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Finally a cold front  (Read 1038 times)

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finally a cold front
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2016, 09:30:00 AM »
Well done, congrats !!    :clapper:
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2016, 10:20:00 AM »
Strong finish, well done! Beautiful buck, great shot...  :clapper:

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2016, 10:27:00 AM »
Congrats on the late season buck!  He's a good one!     :thumbsup:

Bernie

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2016, 10:35:00 AM »
Very nice buck,congratulations! Is that the buck that was on your trail cam from another post?

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2016, 10:49:00 AM »
Congrats great buck!

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2016, 12:34:00 PM »
Rick, I am not sure if I have posted a pic of this buck before.  I know that I have recent pics of at least 4 that are better than this one, but I will try to see if I have a pic of this on from a trail cam.

It actually was no drag at all for this one.  I just have become a sissy about the cold since moving to Oklahoma, lol.  That, and I rarely ever smile for pictures.  Self-consious and all.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2016, 12:52:00 PM »
I only had around 20 minutes of shooting light left, and was thinking this was going to be like alot of my evenings this year, with the deer not getting to my plots until after dark.  I was hunting in a stand that is in a split trunked tree, facing a drainage, with the foodplot behind me to the west.  I can shoot between the trunks to the plot.

I heard squirrels chattering, and then heard a spike crossing into the plot through a  small strip of woods to my southwest.  It was around 24 degrees with 10-15 mph winds out of the NW, so I was good without getting winded.  I figure this deer either came from the property a couple hundred yards to the south, or was bedded down in a a woodlot to the east of my house and crossed over into another woodlot along my south border to make it's way to the plot.

Anyway, I needed more meat for the freezer and had decided that I would shoot a young buck rather than shooting a doe that would already have been bred, so I was preparing to shoot this spike, but he looked back to the southwest and so did I.  I saw another buck crossing some native grass and brush toward the drainage, so I thought I would give it a few minutes.  Maybe 10 minutes later, 2 bucks made their way acrossing a smaller seasonal creek to the plot, having dipped into the drainage briefly, but still away from my wind.  One was a neat forkhorn with no brown tines and the other a nine point.  They slowly entered the plot, nibbling on chicory and clover around the edge, then all 3 deer started looking to the southwest again.  I thought that I could hear more deer making their way to the plot from the drainage, which was now behind the direction that I faced, but I didn't have the time to take the chance that they would get there in time.

I focused on the 9 point, who was basically broadside, just barely quartering away, at a touch over 15 yards away, looking away from me.  A perfect setup.  I took my time drawing back so as not to make too much noise and released.  The arrow hit exactly where I wanted it too, and the buck only had enough time to turn his head to the noise of the shot, qive a little jump and kickout, then tear out of there the same way that he came in.  I saw him go down in the native grass, then I heard more thrashing and lost site of him.

I got down, found real good blood, but called my wife to bring the gator and dog to speed things up.  He took me right to it, I loaded it up, and froze my butt off on the drive home, lol

Probably should have shot the forkhorn, and this one would have been alot nicer in a couple years, but I am still pleased with it.

Offline Longbow917

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2016, 12:59:00 PM »
That's awesome!!  Nice ending.  You're welcome to have our cold front if you want.  Wanted to sit this last weekend but 20 below wind chills making it hard.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2016, 01:15:00 PM »
Couldn't find a picture of this buck, but I bet I have one.  Here are some of the deer still running around.  One night I had 12 different buck on camera at the same spot.  I think it was december 30.

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2016, 01:27:00 PM »
Awesome story and pics pat looks like some dandys next year the buck you just killed kinda looks like him in the last picture!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2016, 01:46:00 PM »
Yeah the one I was talking about Pat was the one taken by the Wildgame innovations camera. He's pretty gnarly looking!

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2016, 04:20:00 PM »
OK.  Got recent pics of the buck I shot, along with the forkhorn, and another pic with all three of the bucks from last night.

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2016, 05:08:00 PM »
Very nice Pat, always like to hear the Schafer continues to serve you well.  What happened to the pigs??

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2016, 06:19:00 PM »
Very nice!  Congratulations on a fine buck.

God bless,

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2016, 06:41:00 PM »
Bill, the pjgs have been gone for a few months now.  I figure they will be back after deer season is over and people turn off there Feeders.  Been a pleasant break, actually.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2016, 07:00:00 PM »
It seems like you have found a good way to close out the season. Congratulations!
Sam

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2016, 07:07:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2016, 07:13:00 PM »
Congrats Pat!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2016, 08:22:00 PM »
Looks like you have an awesome place set up! You are going to have a couple booners (if not real close to it).
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2016, 08:46:00 PM »
congrats
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©