3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wyoming Antelope  (Read 610 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Wyoming Antelope
« on: January 10, 2016, 03:36:00 PM »
I'm wanting to organize a DIY antelope hunt for about 4 friends and family for this fall. I've done this in WY before but have never taken a buck.  

I see the quotas for most units in 2015 were extremely depressed compared to just 4-5 years ago (west of Casper). I know the drought and winters a couple of years ago hammered these herds but they can bounce back very quickly. 2015 should have been very good for fawning and winter survival.

I have an invitation to hunt property in SE WY.  However, according to 2015 quotas the prospects for drawing are very slim. The units east of Sheraton (22, 23, 24) seem to offer much better odds but I have no experience there.

Any insights.

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wyoming Antelope
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 05:30:00 PM »
Also interested?

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 10:19:00 PM »
Considerations:

How many points does each person in your group have?  Remember that the system pools together the total points and divides by the # of people applying in the group.  So if half have points and the other half do not - your group # will be brought down and you'll need to look at different units.

Based on how many points you have - look at the draw odds from last year and pick a few units that you can draw for.  

You may want to pick a 2nd chance unit that can be drawn with 0 points.  Keep in mind, many of these units that require no points have hardly any, or hard to access public land.

If questions on herd #'s in a certain unit, call the local CO.  They are typically very helpful and will offer up that type of information.

Anyone interested in Western US hunts, should be building points for those states and species.  If you are not, then your chances to draw a good unit are dramatically decreased.

Everything you need to determine which units you should apply for can be found on the WY game and fish website. You will just need to put some time into looking at the information on the site.
>>>--------->

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 10:33:00 PM »
Also last time I looked at the Wy game laws they had a foot note as to which units had a higher % of private land ... I know directly around Sheridan there is lots of private property.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BigTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 08:15:00 AM »
East of Sheridan is mainly Private.  I used to work up there.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 08:23:00 AM »
102 shows as mainly private, but the Bud Love G and F area in 102 has lots of public space if you like to spot and stalk goats. Not much good for waterholing, though. 102 usually has leftover tags, as well.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 09:36:00 AM »
Hi Roy,

I was faced with a similar experience in 2015. Because I didn't have any points, I elected to pay the additional money to enter the special draw, which gave me and my buddy a 100% draw odd. You may want to consider that. The added cost of entering the special draw was far less than I would have paid for a trespass fee on private property.

As far as unit 23 (and unit 24 for that matter), you can apply for either of these units and draw a tag without points. According to the WY Game and Fish Dept., they usually have left over tags available in July  for these units. Because these units are so easy to draw that usually indicates that there are limited access to public land or walk in areas.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 06:16:00 PM »
Thanks for the input.

I've spent a few more days researching.  Longbow fanatic 1 hit on what I'm going to do.  Pay $240 extra for the special drawing.  There were ZERO people who put in as first choice for the 18 tags in the unit I want to hunt last year.

If I went for the standard priced tags the odds are only only 1 in 5 of being drawn.  At 62 and my buddy is 70 time isn't our friend.

I have permission on a 20,000 acre ranch with a couple of circle irrigation rigs. There will be 5 in my party. I'll be the only recurve toter (there will be two crossbows (shoulders) and two compound users. We're driving from VA, KY, and IN.

We'll be in SE WY.

Now I'm trying to decide the timing. The bow season will start August 15th and firearms are added on Sept. 20th.  I'd like to experience the antelope rut. I'm guessing that would be around September 10th? However, I'd also like to get this hunt finished before our KY deer season starts on September 3rd.

I hear in one of those east of Sheridan units there is at least one very large public area but a host outta Cheyenne has made this an easy decision.

I'll be rooting for my son, my brother, best friend, and co-worker on this hunt. Usually when I do this something walks in front of me.

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 07:26:00 PM »
We hunted eastern WY from Sept. 1-11th. We noticed a significant amount of rutting activity from about  sept. 8th on. If you choose to hunt in August, it can be really hot. Best of luck on your hunt!

Offline Ryman Cat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 09:25:00 PM »
You can buy trespass fees some ranchs E of Sheridan but you need someone to set you up with that person.  Look into your options.

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 11:31:00 PM »
I am interested if someone can help me with the details.

Justin
Hill

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 01:20:00 PM »
If the gun season starts the 20th and I wanted to see some of the rut I'd go as close the 20th as possible. My best rut hunting has always come between the 15th to the 25th.

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 02:29:00 PM »
I hunted unit 23 in 2014. Very little public land to hunt. There were a lot of antelope unfortunately 95% were on private land.
I did manage to gain access on 25,000 acres of private, just happened to meet the rancher going down the road. Since I was hunting with my dad, the rancher was more then willing to let my dad and I bowhunt.
We were there from Sept 24-Oct 1. There was a lot of rutting activity at that time. Decoying was a successful tactic.
Despite limited public land, we did manage to kill one antelope, and my dad missed on several occasions.
It's ALOT of fun!
Hope you have a great trip

chris <><

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 02:00:00 PM »
I'll be submitting our group application this Saturday. Three of us are going to apply (Special Permits) in SE, WY.  

We'll arrive on Sept. 11th and I'll be training a bunch of teachers and principals in Cheyenne from the 12th-14th.  Start hunting on the 15th. We'll have 5 days before firearms season opens. Due to proximity of ranch (20 minutes) we might be able to hunt in the evenings a bit?

Thinking about getting the new Rinehart Antelope Decoy.

My dates are directed more by the need to do this training (NASP®) in mid-September instead of mid-August.

Planning to hunt edges of irrigation circle.

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 03:10:00 PM »
Bowwild hope the best for your hunt. If you guys have time you should hit the Bunkhouse Bar and Grill out west of town for some local flavor and good eats.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2016, 05:48:00 PM »
Thanks Jack.  We will be staying in Cheyenne for 3 nights so we just might make it over there!

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2016, 07:58:00 PM »
If I didn't think I would be out after elk I would stop by and meet a fellow tradganger

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©