3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Age and Accuracy ?  (Read 1155 times)

Offline RaybowTx

• Trad Bowhunter
Age and Accuracy ?
« on: January 10, 2016, 03:45:00 PM »
For those of yall that have been shooting for many years see alot of decline in your archery overall at this later age?...........Ray
na

Offline Arrowcraft

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Age and Accuracy ?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 04:00:00 PM »
I just turned 65 and shoot every day , i hope not Im for ever trying to get better although I recently had to drop bow weight from52# to 47#

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 04:39:00 PM »
I'm 71 and have been shooting archery about 25 years, more seriously in the last 10 years than in the years before that.  I think I've been able to maintain my accuracy through continued learning, and dropping down in bow weight as needed. My strength isn't what it was.  When I first started, I thought 55# was a good target bow that I could shoot all day, and I regularly shot a 65# bow, although I dropped down to a 60# bow for hunting pretty quickly, just because I realized that I wouldn't usually be shooting my hunting bow under ideal conditions.

Now my regular target bow is 40#, and I've pretty much decided that my hunting bow should be 45# rather than 50#, for more or less the same reason I dropped from 65# to 60# 25 years ago.  It's not that I can't shoot a 50# bow anymore, it's just that I think I have a better chance of hitting what I'm aiming at with a 45# bow.

Thanks to God I haven't had any debilitating injuries that have cut my archery career short, just normal wear and tear, like an old engine.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Maxx Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 04:45:00 PM »
I'm 66 and still shoot daily. Still 55# draw on most of my bows. I've been lucky to stave off injury . Accuracy still good.
Kwyk Styk 58" 55x28
Cari-bow 62"54@28
Thunder child 56" 53@27
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS ILF 60"@55#@27"

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 05:01:00 PM »
65 and counting been shooting close to 60 years. Accuracy got better as I went along in my journey. Dropped bow weight to 45ish for hunting and target.Have to say the last few years I dropped off a bit in target accuracy but not much. I don't shoot near as much as I used to.  Fishing gets in the way. b Still shoot in cellar during  winter 20- 30 arrows three times a week only at 5 yds for strength and form.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 05:17:00 PM »
Only been at this for a couple of years now so I'm actually getting better. When you can't shoot worth a crap when you first start, you can't help but get better with practice. I'll be 72 the end of this month and hope to continue with this for a good number of years to come. If my accuracy suffers, a small price to pay to be able to at least draw a recurve or longbow. Some of the guys with whom I shoot say I'm pretty good for an old newbie. They could be lying just to make me feel good though. Don't care. It's so much fun.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 05:44:00 PM »
I'm 25 and banking that I'll get better as I age.  Hopefully this thread doesn't disparage those hopes.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 05:50:00 PM »
I'm 68 and I shoot as good as I used to but I now shoot 48#s
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 05:56:00 PM »
I'll be 70 in a couple of months.  Have been shooting sticks for about 60 years.  Used to be quite good, then developed target panic about 25 years ago that I've never completely overcome.  I shoot almost daily and usually a tournament a weekend during the spring and summer.  I've dropped down in bow weight to about 50# now.  Not as good on targets as I once was.  Still manage to get the job done hunting.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 06:48:00 PM »
Hey Brent. Don't worry about it my boy. Aging is what it is. Can't do much about it. Just enjoy every day you're able to pick up your bow, punch some paper or wait for the big one to walk by. It goes so fast.     :bigsmyl:
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 06:55:00 PM »
Nothing has changed, I stunk at 35 and almost twice that now and I still stink....

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 06:55:00 PM »
I'm 66 and over time have had to reduce draw weight. I injure more easily and more often. I once pulled a 78# bow without difficulty, but now my hunting weight is around 55#. A second injury that I am currently dealing with has me down to about 40# until rehab is complete. As for accuracy, I see no decrease. I am a bit more patient and am less likely to attempt an iffy shot.
Sam

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 06:55:00 PM »
59 and still shooting good. Takes a little longer to warm up on the aerials though.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 07:20:00 PM »
Shot every bow I own today.  That would be 7 bows.  They range from 65# to 40# at my draw. I'm 65 years old now.

Ordered a Blacktail bow in 2011 and downsized to 47# because of my age.  But, my wife got me going to the YMCA in 2013.  I do cardio, but also emphasize strength training on my shoulders, chest, back, and arms.  

I haven't "pushed" my exercises beyond my limit, but I am interested in building rather than maintaining.  It's paid off as I've increased my ability to draw bows.  Whereas in 2012 I was finding my 58# bow becoming too much, and in 2013 I was convinced that 50# was definately my upper limit.  I turned around and hunted in 2014 (age 64) with my 65# bow and was successful.

I think that what I've learned is that a bow requires very specific muscles, but my exercises are a generalized muscle workout.  That means I'm in better all around shape to shoot.

Anyway, it seems to work for me.  I couldn't be more pleased with the results so far.

I feel blessed to be in such good physical shape.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline Preston Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2016, 07:31:00 PM »
Ray I remember a day that you were superb! For me it seems to have declined some. I wear glasses now and have a hard time shooting with them on. So when I don't wear them I have an excuse.

Offline Phillip Fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2016, 07:37:00 PM »
I turned 69 a couple months ago. I going from a 55# bow down to a 49# bow. I'm still as accurate as I ever was.
Keep em Sharp!

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2016, 09:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by BWallace10327:
I'm 25 and banking that I'll get better as I age.  Hopefully this thread doesn't disparage those hopes.
You should! But know that it is a hill, and that at some point you will be at the top, with nowhere to go but down!

I'm about to turn 55, and am still shooting the same ~50ish # bows that I have always shot, with pretty consistent accruacy. I fear the day I hit the top of that hill that I referenced above.

Bisch

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2016, 10:42:00 PM »
As I look back, I'm a legend in my own mind     :biglaugh:    

You need to realize when it's time to change things like draw weight and shot distance. I probably shoot more arrows now than I did twenty years ago but I don't hunt near as much as I used to and that alone has affected my accuracy I believe. I'm not as serious about the outcome of a shot just target shooting. I do however have lots of dead animals to prove I used to be able to shoot pretty good ! I'm now 67
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline distantbear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 08:35:00 AM »
I'm 65 and still shoot a 65# bow everyday. Can't see what I hit but the arrows is gone somewhere!

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 08:39:00 PM »
Almost 60 Shoot 55-60lb bows. Try to shoot every day also. I think I'm Better now than ever. Some times.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©