3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What type of bow for you........just one or many?  (Read 2222 times)

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What type of bow for you........just one or many?
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2016, 06:36:00 AM »
Usually one of each in the house, a silvertip and my Toelke Lynx.   Any more than that and I will drive myself crazy.   Right now just the Lynx.....it's always been good to me    :thumbsup:

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2016, 06:59:00 AM »
I am pretty picky about what I shoot,it must have a string on it and a wood arrow on the string.
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2016, 07:06:00 AM »
I prefer the ones where the arrows come out of the back.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2016, 07:11:00 AM »
Recurves mainly.....or aggressive R/D longbows...prefer a little mass weight on those.
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2016, 09:03:00 AM »
for me I only have the one bow. but im a lover of almost all bows. ( except hill style bows) I just don't see what the draw is there..

I would like to try an ILF bow someday.
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2016, 11:00:00 AM »
Longbows mainly....In order of preference:
Mild R/D Longbows 62-66"
Aggressive R/D Longbows (Hybrid) 60-62"
Hill Style or ASL  64-68"
It all comes down to the grip for me...If I can put my hand on it the same way each time, it has a home in my stable

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2016, 11:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by Gaff:
( except hill style bows) I just don't see what the draw is there...
Gaff, I was right where you are on the Hill bows...  Actually owned a few that reaffirmed my thoughts...  But, when the bug bit again to try another the one I found is just different...  Smooth, quiet, and dead in the hand at the shot...  

Not nearly as quick as my R/D longbows or recurves, but the quietness makes up for a lot in a hunting situation!  Been carrying it for about the last month of hunting, and have taken a doe, two squirrels, and a ground hog that made a burrough near one of my stands...  

Shot the doe at about 12 yards, arrow passed through and she jumped when it went through...  Looked around for a couple seconds, then went to browsing again!  Watched the blood pour out both sides of the chest for about 25 seconds and she fell over about 20 yards from my stand.  Only bow quieter that I could think of would be a selfbow...

This has been the first time I've hunted with a Hill, and I don't think I'll let this bow go just because I may not find another like it...

"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2016, 11:51:00 AM »
When I started this post I should have listed my likes......Zipper ILF 17" with Dyrad limbs, a Morrison ILF 15", a bunch of stuff buy Chad Holm [Holm-Made], several Northern Mists, several Hills, a Kimsha Mattawomen II, a few self bows, a RER Arroyo, several old Bears including a "A" and "B" Mag T/D, a Stalker Coyote static tip and a 66" Treadway Back to Basics longbow, and a Black Widow PL longbow. I think I missed a couple. On any given day I would take anyone into the field.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »
I just got my first Hill style longbow but due to circumstances I have yet to shoot it

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2016, 01:25:00 PM »
I like longbows, mostly because of the grip.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2016, 09:34:00 PM »
Many... kinds, brands, styles, eras?    :p

Current state of the bow rack; subject to change without notice!

Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2016, 08:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by okla bearclaw:
I am pretty picky about what I shoot,it must have a string on it and a wood arrow on the string.
Terry
:biglaugh:

Offline 1Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2016, 06:51:00 PM »
I'm going to say mostly recurves. I've tried 3 different types of longbows and in fact ,I'm trying out a Dwyer right now. I believe its the grip that I have the most problem  with when it comes to longbows for me. As far as recurves I like them a little on the long side and with a little mass in the riser

Offline Babbling Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2016, 08:17:00 PM »
I started with Bears. My first being a '62 K Mag and then a '63 Tamerlane. Both were purchased new and both were great bows.

Been through a lot of recurve bows in the last 54 years but I was a one of those one bow makes me happy guys most of my shooting past.

In the last five years I broke my old mold of only shooting one bow and now shoot three Kodiak Specials ('59, '60, and '62), and two Kodiaks ('61 and '62)'cause they remind me of that time of my life when I first started shooting and when I first started driving a car (a '57 Ford).

Lots of target shooting, hunting, and camping memories. Several friends have gone home since then. Maybe my bows take me back a bit.  I'm very very thankful to have what I have and be able to still shoot'em.   See u'all round some of them 3-D shoots.

Offline catman1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2016, 08:52:00 PM »
I have sold all of my bows and have only 1 left, it's the one I will never sell. A 10 year old Roy Hall 3 pc Navajo #50 longbow with a 18" riser, I shoot it very well and need nothing else for hunting.
Odds are with the prepared..

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2016, 12:31:00 AM »
Most of my traditional shooting has been with a recurve. I have a recurve that I shoot fairly consistently an accurately with. This has been my go to for a couple of decades, this is the bow that I take into the field during the archery season for now.

A couple of years ago I got a mild D/R longbow and then another and another.   :rolleyes:   I have really enjoyed shooting these longbows and stumping with them but when August rolls around I switch back to the recurve to be tuned and on for September.

Whoops! Those are Huckleberries. I must have had that longbow out in mid August too.    :cool:
Martin Hatfeild TD (bearings)RC
Trails End     (Good Medicine) RC
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

Offline flyguysc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2016, 07:16:00 AM »
Have a jet longbow on  the way,started with a Owen Jeffery's recurve,moved onto a Big horn & Great Plains recurve.Some how the switch from wheel bows to trad did not seem satisfying enough so I bought a West Wallace Long bow (Royal).Five long bows later I voting long bows.
Winners make commitments ,Loser make excuses

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2016, 11:27:00 AM »
My favorites are 1st: Blacktail Sitka and Rose Oak Creations Heritage. Both curves of course. Other greats include Pittsley Predator and Bob Lee Ultimate.

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2016, 03:47:00 PM »
I'm trying to be very very focused. It's worked in firearm shooting for me, so I'm trying to apply it to archery.

One ILF riser. It's easily the nicest "archery" piece I've ever had. I'm going to learn "this" riser.

I tried bouncing back and forth from LB to RC (in weights that were too high) and it just led to frustration for me. Still trying to get basics down and get to were I can print a 4" at 20yds any day of the week.
Micah 6:8

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2016, 10:58:00 PM »
Have 'em all , like 'em all. Built a lot of primitive longbows too, but I find myself gravitating more and more to recurves. KMag in the beginning and thru the years, Fasco,Checkmate, an old Brownie,Grizzly, and now I have hanging Saxon Kadiak, a Wiseman Frontiersman (Saxon) and a Javaman Duoflex. Besides, John Nail says I look good carrying a 'Curve. LOL.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©