3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2015 Regrets?  (Read 1563 times)

Offline superkodiak

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2015 Regrets?
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2016, 08:52:00 PM »
I got all sweaty walking in to the stand and sat at the base of the tree I was going to climb.  After about 15 minutes of sitting it began to lightly rain. I debated whether to climb the tree if it could get worse. I grabbed my grunt call and let out a few grunts.  I had a beautiful 8 point on top of me before I could reposition for a shot let alone grab my bow that was leaning against the tree. I also had my sleeves rolled up and hat off.  His eyes got bigger than mine when he stopped at 4 yards.   :)  I know better and should have been up in the tree.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2016, 09:19:00 AM »
I really don't actually. I do plan on holding out for a good buck next year instead of being so string happy. Also, I enjoyed getting shots on camera but I plan to see if I can arrange for a swap with a buddy in editing. I had to watch the film so many times that my memory of the actual shots has faded.

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2016, 11:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by Basinboy:

Originally posted by Kingstaken:
Corey - Were you waiting for a bigger deer?        :dunno:    
I was telling myself "You can't kill a Giant by shooting the good bucks"  I had pics of one in the 165-170 class range and was hoping he would show up......
But I got him "on video" both times   :)  
Click to watch below
     [/b]
That is true. I know the feeling.

Offline Pryor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2016, 12:27:00 PM »
Spent opening morning of elk hiking like crazy looking for animals.  By 11:00 I had not seen much, so I sat a water hole that I had intended to be at before light.  After about an hour I fell asleep in my natural blind.  Woke up with a cow and calf staring me down at 3 yards.  I think I was more suprised than her and after a 2 second stare down she took off.  After she was gone I back tracked her and she had already watered at 12 yards. I will never get caught sleeping on the job again.  when I got back to camp I checked to trail cam pics on the water hole only to see a nice 5 x 5 watering at 7:15 that morning.  Next year I am going to make a plan and stick with it.  And bring instant coffee in my overnight pack!!!
Learn to work, and you can learn to do anything.

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2016, 10:32:00 AM »
My regret was a lack of motivation. Not sure why. The weather was decent, I was seeing deer, just didn't seem to "have it" last season.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2016, 10:43:00 AM »
I never anticipated getting sick the last two weeks of the season.  In 2016 I won't put off as many opportunities to get out.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2016, 11:23:00 AM »
Nope ... shoulda, woulda, and coulda are over worked, look forward not backward and enjoy your life today !  

Best to you all this New Year    :wavey:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2016, 10:54:00 PM »
I took my first trad deer last fall.  After that harvest, I missed two more afield. Both were clean misses.

I then purchased a new bow and hardly shot over the off season.  I didn't feel comfortable enough with the stick bow to hunt with it this fall.

I still hunted hard and was able to harvest a good buck by standards, but not with traditional equipment.

My regret is not shooting in the off season. I learned my lesson there.  I'm going to shoot more this off season and would also like to try a few ground hunts.
>>>--------->

Offline 96ssportsp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2016, 12:30:00 AM »
A broken foot in the middle of archery season.
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ & the American Soldier. One died for your soul; the other for your freedom

Raptor Sig LB- 64 55 @ 32

Raptor Sig LB- 62 45 @ 32

Offline DKG

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2016, 07:04:00 AM »
No regrets.  Looking forward to 2016 and the challenges and adventures she brings
“Teach me to do your will, for you are my God!  Let your good spirit lead me on level ground.”  Psalm 143:10

Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2016, 02:08:00 PM »
Not hunting Elk.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2016, 05:00:00 PM »
I didn't get to hunt at all due to health issues.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2016, 06:58:00 PM »
Didn't get to hunt a single day, but no regrets.  Family issues took precedent over hunting.  Family always trumps hunting.

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2016, 09:15:00 PM »
Just didnt hunt enough
Couldnt get arrow flight right
Just didnt work out this year
Maybe 2016 will be better.
Slickhead

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2016, 12:14:00 AM »
I shot what I thought was a doe and it ended up being a little buck...(great shot though).

Deer steaks make it easier to deal with though.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2016, 12:42:00 AM »
I finally got got my first trad deer in 2015. But I also had a major screw up on the biggest deer I've ever flung an arrow at...TWICE! But I have no regrets. $#!+ does happen when hunting...that's just the nature of the game. I don't let it eat at me.

Already looking forward to trying for squirrels in a day or two, and turkey in the spring. And I plan to go hog hunting one day this week...got a lot on trail cam. Tomorrow is a new day. We learn from past mistakes and try our damnedest to do better in the future.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2016, 08:15:00 AM »
I hadn't followed this thread until today and see Corey's post. I suppose if you have bigger bucks in the area than the one you posted pics of, then I can see you passing that one up. As for me and where I hunt, I would compare passing on that one to my passing up a spike because I know there's a "nice" Y buck somewhere close by. I envy anyone hunting in areas that produce deer like in Corey's. More power to you. But yeah, "What the hell were you thinking?"   :banghead:    :biglaugh:
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2016, 09:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by highlow:
I hadn't followed this thread until today and see Corey's post. I suppose if you have bigger bucks in the area than the one you posted pics of, then I can see you passing that one up. As for me and where I hunt, I would compare passing on that one to my passing up a spike because I know there's a "nice" Y buck somewhere close by. I envy anyone hunting in areas that produce deer like in Corey's. More power to you. But yeah, "What the hell were you thinking?"    :banghead:      :biglaugh:  
Well I tell myself every year that I'm going to hold out for a 150 or better when I hunt that place. Usually I cave in when it's getting close to going home time and shoot a 120 class buck which would be a good deer back home. But knowing that a giant could walk by at anytime, I stuck to my guns this year and last year and ate my tag. Now I usually end up with a few deer on my home turf every season. But the deer herd on the public land I hunt has plummeted and I only saw a few all season and did not get a shot off. So for the first time in many moons I have not killed a deer! Not complaining though as I have taken a good bull elk and some hogs. So passing on that good buck in Kansas does bother me a little, but knowing I only had one tag and knowing the potential of the property I was on, I decided to gamble  :)
I still have two weeks left in this season to hunt and I will go down swinging!!!
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2016, 10:31:00 PM »
Did not spend the time I normally spend in the woods prior to season. Will not do that again. Have already spent 3 weekends in the woods scouting for this fall.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2016, 11:16:00 PM »
So ironic. . .  reading Basinboy-Corey. . . I did the exact opposite this year.  I shot a buck- good by many people's standards and I am actually grateful- but I really do wish I had held out longer.  I may find myself next year on the 2016/17 version of this thread posting how I should NOT be holding out and be more grateful for any opportunity. . .     :banghead:     :dunno:
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©