3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Start up cost to start making arrows?  (Read 3318 times)

Offline Elusive One

• Trad Bowhunter
Start up cost to start making arrows?
« on: January 24, 2007, 09:48:00 PM »
Arrows are going to be a problem for me I feel in my future.  In my present finacial condition I can't justify spending much money on this new addiction.  I have read about alot of ppl making their own arrows and I feel it is something I can learn.  

My question is can someone give me a guess on what kind of money I would need to get the tools needed to make my own arrows.  I am practically tooless(sp?) except for basic mechanics tools.  And if someone doesn't mind taking the time could I possibly get a list of the basic tools?

Thanks,
Elu

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Start up cost to start making arrows?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »
I am a newbie myself...on my second batch of arrows. I have found a lot of info in the how to section under main forums. Otherwise, do what you are doing, Im sure someone who knows more than I do will set you straight.
As for tools...a lot of it you can make and/or improvise. Good luck....
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 09:56:00 PM »
I'll help you anyway I can Elu. If you are wanting to make wooden arrows that is. All you need is a small hand plane and some sandpaper and some wood. Click on this link and you will see how I and a lot of others make arrows from boards. Roy

web page

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »
You are really only going to NEED two things: a Fletching jig and a tapering tool.  A Bitzenburger is about the best jig, IMO, and costs about $60+ new.  There are also good others available for less or used.  Tapering for nocks and points is pretty critical.  The Tru Center is OK but a disk sander w/ guide jig is best and well worth the extra.  These two tools won't make fancy arrows, but the rest of a GOOD arrow is simply craftsmanship.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline BigMedicine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 10:04:00 PM »
Here's what I've put into my new arrow bench:

Ebay: Arrow saw $29.00, 3 battery operated motors for making a cresting machine $9.00.

Others: New bitz arrow fletcher LW about $75, 2 arrow dipping tubes $2.50, paint/feathers $60-70.  Total so far: $175-185.  

Now I just need some shafts- thinking now of going with CarbonExpress Heritage rather than Goldtip Trads.  $70/dozen.  So, to fletch my first dozen, looking at about $250.  

But, I'm certainly not doing it to save money.  I can't wait to shoot my own arrows with character that I've put into them.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."  from Walden- Henry David Thoreau

Offline Elusive One

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 10:48:00 PM »
Thanks for the link and the information.  

And thanks Roy for the offer.  If I have questions for ya should i just post in this forum or pm you?

Offline todd potiphar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 11:49:00 PM »
and the truth is, you can get away without using a fletching jig if you have to, and some guys love the really cheap taper tools that look like pencil sharpeners.  I have found the most expensive part is that as soon as I finish one batch of arrows, I start buying stuff for my next batch.  I just can't quit.

Offline Trad Man 25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 05:40:00 AM »
WEll, when i started making my own arrows i had nothing, i would taper my shafts with a knife and sand paper, and would sit there and hold the feathers in place as i glued them.
I would not advise doing that as you tend to get a little frustrated with the hole lot. i went out and got a fletching jig and a taper tool and making arrows is one of my best bits about archery for me.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 09:37:00 AM »
I bought a couple of Wiffen tapering tools,theyre the cheap ones but they wok pretty fine.You can make dip tubes out of pvc tubes for polly.If your planning on cap/crown dipping, you can substitute spray paint instead of dipping.Jo-jan fletching jigs seem to be the cheapest and work pretty good too.Lok on the classifieds here and youll find some good deals.Im new to arrow building too but with the info people share here I feel confident that I can ask and find virtually any advice Im looking for.A great tool this site is and a lot of good dudes here more than willing to help.Good luck and enjoy.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 10:41:00 AM »
(pencil sharpener) taper tool, fletching jig, shafts, nocks, fletching tape ( the best for beginners )& points.. if your going to be doing wood'n arrows.. Try the sponsors for prices, I like Raptor Archery ( That's me )but there is others out there just as good.

Offline Archer 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »
I use a Bitz fletcher myself, but you can get a Grayling fletcher for about $35.00 new. I have used them to, and they did a very good job. A whifen taper tool will work for about $4.50, then all you need is some shafts, and feathers, and you can cut your own feathers to.
May Your Feet Always Make Happy Tracks.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 11:03:00 AM »
Well, if you REALLY want to talk cheap, you can buy 100 birch dowels from American Woodcrafters Supply for $25.00 or so, collect feathers from your buddies who hunt birds, and use self nocks filed into the shaft itself. Point tapers can be carefully cut  with a pocket knife,or you can use .38 special cases.The feathers can be glued on and held to the shaft with pins until they dry. First step up would be a taper tool of some kind, around $5.00 or so, then on to whatever you want to spend.

Everything after that just streamlines the process.

Good luck!
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 11:52:00 AM »
Good wooden arrows are not cheap to make.  The least expensive arrow and the straightest will be an aluminum. Shafts will run in the $32.00-$35.00 a dozen range. You will need nocks about 10 cents each by the hundred and feathers around $38.00 a hundred. Finally a good fletching jig, buy a  Bitzenburger they are the best and will probably out last you. Quality tapered wood arrows that will take a broadhead are going to cost you  nearly $5.00 each to make. In the long run good carbons are probaly the cheapest when you take breakage in to consideration.

Offline ringo64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 03:04:00 PM »
go find some river cane or dogwood shafts (free in the woods)...or many other types of shoots.  find some turkey feathers....i get most of mine from road kill and some deer sinew.  after that all you need is points....maybe knapp some or can make them from nails pretty easily.  no money, just time and patients.

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 03:17:00 PM »
Bottom line, over the long haul it is cheaper to just buy arrows, but where in is the satifaction.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 04:38:00 PM »
All good from above. I myself have made arrows fro 12 years now. When I started I used pencil sharpener type taper tool $4 than and my dipp tubes were PVC an end cap and a funnel. I still use oil poly mixed 70% to 30% paint thinner. I have a jo-jan fletcher $50 twenty years ago. Than ya need shafts and feathers. I would say to do start from finish one dozen POC the first time ya can get away with less than $100 bucks and almost half that cost would be feathers and shafts. Shawn
Shawn

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 04:46:00 PM »
Get a Martin J-8 fletcher, $25 and a Whiffen taper tool, $5.  Use dowels for shafts.  I use wipe-on poly and don't even stain most of the time.  You can make beater arrows for about $1 apiece.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Rich LaBombard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 05:33:00 PM »
I started making my own (wood)arrows in the last year.
As stated above, the most expensive part seems to be the fletching jig.  
I bought the Bitz.  I like it, it gets great reviews.  $70. (will outlast the original owner, in this case, it's ME)

Next in line, is the tru-taper.  Feedback seems to be "love it or hate it".  I love mine. $30.

I buy shafts (cedar) from 3Rivers, for about $28.
per dozen.

Get the feathers in the colors you like.  I like them to be screaming bright.
Field tips or blunts for stumps, you decide.

Honestly, it's that first $100 that kills you, but you will not need to spend it again.

I LOVE shooting arrows I made myself.  I'll get fancy with cresting later on, but for what I listed above, I'm in business.

Go for it! (by the way, it's EASY!)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2007, 05:38:00 PM »
Elu, good info above. You can post your questions here, that way lots of good folks can give you their opinions.

Offline Elusive One

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2007, 07:27:00 PM »
When you guys mention buyign shafts are those ready to go or do you still do some work on them?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©