3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is print dead?  (Read 619 times)

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
Is print dead?
« on: January 13, 2016, 09:34:00 AM »
I was sitting in the waiting area for my oil change  yesterday, when I glanced down at the pile of magazines.  Amongst them I found one that interested me, per usual  with  this  particular  publication  I turned immediately to the back page with some worry.  It was still there, but was stated that it would be  the last.  The last Trails End that is.  It was a sad moment for me for I had been reading those for 23 years, of course I've known for months it was coming, but still it was hard to see the last.  After my truck was finished  I decided  I'd stop and  buy a copy of my own.  I stopped at 3 different  locations, only to find no magazines  or books being sold at all.  As I've watched the great decline in substance of some of my favorite  hunting  magazines over the  past  ten years, I can't help but  wonder  if its  over for print.  Don't get me wrong, we still have Traditional Bowhunter and of course TAW, but they're the only  two I subscribe to now.  Times change, but being only 43 it worries me, mainly because I work at a point shop!

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is print dead?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 09:40:00 AM »
the age of the internet has killed a lot honest and good things.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 09:44:00 AM »
Including, in many cases, the lust to actually READ.  

The granddaughter doesn't understand why anybody would want to read words in a story, when they could just watch the movie.
ChuckC

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 11:29:00 AM »
Yep, electronic communication has certainly diminished our will and capacity to read and understand.  Likewise, it's diminished our ability to write and make ourselves understood, perhaps even to think clearly.  Many feel it also stifles the development of our social interactive skills.

On the other hand, some feel the electronic shorthand and substitution of images and video for the written word represents the development of an entirely new language. Whether it's a better language remains to be seen.

But to answer your question.  Print isn't dead, but that's the direction it's heading.

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 11:57:00 AM »
I can't remember which editor it was off hand, but he freely admitted that 5 to 10 years ago 80% of their time was going to their printed piece and 20% towards their Web site, now it's flip flopped.

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 12:00:00 PM »
I can't remember which editor it was off hand, but he freely admitted that 5 to 10 years ago 80% of their time was going to their printed piece and 20% towards their Web site, now it's flip flopped.

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 01:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by VA Elite:
the age of the internet has killed a lot honest and good things.
Well stated

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 01:35:00 PM »
Print may be in decline but I can't imagine sitting at the computer reading "Bows on the Little Delta" when I could be in my easy chair, next to the evening fire in my stove, beagle at my side, a couple hard pretzels, and short "Bear" emblem glass with 2 fingers of good whiskey. Give me the book.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline JR Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 02:22:00 PM »
I agree with Hatrick about reading a nice Bowhunting book by a fire....nothing better. However, with my work I travel alot and I bought a digital reader a few years ago and found it very nice. I currently have about 250 books on it so wherever I go I carry it and can escape my surroundings and hit the woods by reading a good book.
God Bless

Numunuu

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 02:22:00 PM »
I still enjoy books and magazines, but I'm not much of a newspaper reader. I mostly watch TV for that.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 02:30:00 PM »
I don't think print is dead but I do think print on paper is going out.  I read everything on my kindle these days and enjoy much more then paper mags or books.  I can adjust the font size to meet my needs and it's easier to hold for reading.  I have a couple of hundred books available on one small device.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 03:33:00 PM »
Printed material like newspapers and magazines struggle not because of readership but because of advertising dollars.  Good books will always sell.
lll

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 04:04:00 PM »
I guess I'm old fashioned or biased, but nothings better than the musty smell of an old book by the fireplace.  I will admit that I've succumbed to the instant gratification the Internet provides otherwise I wouldn't be typing this right now.  I just hope we can keep both for the rest of my lifetime, because I've still got three kids to get through college!

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 05:36:00 PM »
I would also add that a lack of good writers whatever the subject is also hurting writing.  There are a few decent outdoor writers out there and only one or two really good outdoor writers.JMHO

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 06:29:00 PM »
Everything old is new again.  My teens both asked and received record players for Christmas.  My 15 year old daughter ditched her Kindle for print but I am the opposite.  Mags and newspapers are really hurting though.  I still love my Sunday paper but read the news online the rest of the week.

I am mostly paperless personally and professionally.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hickrylb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 06:50:00 PM »
I truly love magazines ,I sure hope print don't go totally out.
I like building HICKORY selfbows,#45lb Kodiak hunter,50#lb Bear Byron Ferguson Royal Safari,Indian Archery 35#lb recurve,Petry snake backed selfbow

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 06:59:00 PM »
Used to get the newspaper everyday but with electronic media the news is not a day old. I also have gone to receiving some of my magazines on line. I moved boxes and boxes of old archery magazines I thought I would need. Well guess what? I have not looked at any of them in so long I am getting rid of my print magazines. The info I may need is right here everyday in the forums.

Offline flyflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2016, 06:27:00 AM »
I appreciate the opportunity online media provides, without it I wouldn't be able to sit here drinking coffe and reading what my fellow trad archers have to say on a vast array of topics.  
  However, as I type this I am flanked on both sides by bookcases filled with my favorite pieces of literature. I love books (and a select few magazines). I dread the thought of the printed word being replaced by electronic media. I do take some comfort in the fact that every time I set foot in our local book stores there is an abundance of people there buying books. Maybe there is still some hope for us bibliophiles.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2016, 01:53:00 PM »
I used to be a big time magazine hoarder. On various subjects of interest. I still have boxes and stashes scattered around the house. I think the turn off from me anymore is the cost at 7-10 dollars per! The value just isn't there. I can get all the same info right here on my iPad for the cost of my internet connection. We have a few hundred books stored in ours which would be a mess otherwise. It's just nice to have things all in one place.

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2016, 05:21:00 PM »
Even traditional bowhunter subscription is on my ipad
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©