3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Spot and stalk FL boar  (Read 832 times)

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Spot and stalk FL boar
« on: January 13, 2016, 04:35:00 PM »
Headed for south FL after Christmas to hunt with friend and fellow TradGanger Irv Eichorst (beaunarro). Spent the first day helping Irv in a steady rain checking stands, adding new feeders, trimming brush, etc. At the end of a long, wet day we were getting ready to call it quits when I spied a pig about 100 yds down a grassy road bordering some nasty thick area. After rooting a bit, the pig wandered back into the thick. Fortunately, I had put my bow and quiver in the truck for just such a circumstance...
  Irv started cleaning up while I eased down the track to the fresh digging. Seeing or hearing nothing in the jungle I grunted with my voice and immediately something started a beeline to me in the waist high grass. Glimpses of a pig inbound made me get ready in a hurry and I just took a step back behind a pepper bush growing at the edge when he was RIGHT THERE!!...
  Draw and release at 10' was automatic and a pass thru heart shot was what registered in my mind...
  Inside 10 minutes, I had rounded up Irv and we were on the trail, fearing the rain and cover would not work out in our favor. I took the lead, arrow knocked  on hyper alert - we didn't want  to walk up on an unhappy boar at point blank range...
  It worked out just fine and 70 yds in we found the boar. His fighting days were over. He was in the mix though with a gouged eye, shredded ears, and a broken tusk.
  Irv may be familiar to the Gang as a partner in True South Adventures. He has stepped out on his own operation in the Ft. Pierce area with access to 7 properties totaling about 1560 acres. There are about 22 ladder stands and blinds on those properties and LOTS of hogs. Irv and Jim continue to be mutually supportive of each others operations, and Irv's entry makes another excellent option for winter escapes in south Florida.

Irv can be contacted at (c) 608-516-8615.
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Spot and stalk FL boar
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 04:36:00 PM »
Todd's pig.

The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 05:22:00 PM »
Congrats buddy!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 05:28:00 PM »
Very cool!  I'll get down there some day to enjoy that type of hunting.  Congrats!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 06:15:00 PM »
Be there in 3 weeks....caint wait    :archer:
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 06:25:00 PM »
Neat looking hog, congrats!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 09:55:00 PM »
Congrats Todd!  Cool Hunt!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 10:41:00 PM »
Thank you for the kind words, Todd.

Yours was a short but exciting hunt.You made a textbook heart shot. Congratulations.

I surely enjoyed your and Debbie's visit once again.

And a big Thank You for your setup help.

It has finally stopped raining temporarily, (more coming this weekend)

The rain has made the ground very soft and conducive to rooting. I was worried they may not come to the corn quite as easily, but that has not been true.

I have had 6 hunters and we have killed 6 hogs.

This makes for some pretty happy hunters and one tired host.

I am not complaining because in my book....hogs are about as much fun as one can have with a bow and arrow.
Irv Eichorst

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 05:21:00 AM »
For those interested, I was shooting my Big Jim Thunderchild, 56", 60# pushing a GT arrow with a Simmons Interceptor (605 gr.)

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 09:32:00 AM »
Not to hijack your post Birdbow but I couldn't agree more.                                     My friend Andrew(pokerdaddy here on TG) and I hunted with Irv this past weekend and had a great hunt.  I missed a good boar Saturday morning but redeemed myself Sunday nite, last few minutes of the hunt and I bagged this sow.  Double lunged and she only went 50 yards or so. Irv was great to hunt with and I know we'll be back.

LtoR Andrew, Irv and myself.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 09:52:00 AM »
Way to go Rick, congrats! Glad you chimed in and what a cool pig. Maybe others who hunted or will hunt with Irv will kick in their stories and pics too. We'll be going back. What was your bow/arrow setup?

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 10:05:00 AM »
I was shooting a 3Rivers Tomahawk 3pc takedown, 45 lbs@28".  My arrows are 2016 Legacy's with a 160 gr.STOS mounted on a 100gr.steel adapter. Gave me a complete pass thru. Very pleased with this bow and arrow combo.
   I want to add that Irv had graciously donated a hunt to the Michigan Longbow Association's banquet last winter and I was fortunate enough to be the high bidder.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 10:22:00 AM »
Congrats on the pigs, guys!!!

Bisch

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 11:40:00 AM »
Way to go guys, congrats on them hogs!

Congrats to you Irv, sounds like things are really going good down there!!!
Thom

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2016, 12:49:00 PM »
awesome!!  FL sure does rock for piggies
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2016, 06:58:00 PM »
Thank you Thom,

It's been good and I hope things are going well for you and Andrew up at Wild Things.

Rick showed me the pictures of your latest boar.

What a thrill that must have been.

Congratulations!.... and great that you had 5 other friends to help you lift it into the truck.

WOW.
Irv Eichorst

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2016, 07:59:00 PM »
Birdbow, if I may hijack as well, I was with Rick Butler and Irv this past week and had a blast.  I believe Rick got his sow on the same property that Todd got his pig!  BTW, Rick made a PERFECT double lung shot THROUGH a barbed wire fence!

I also arrowed a pig on that property, but unfortunately the blood trail led into alot of standing water and thick brush and we eventually lost the trail.

To back up:  It was Sunday night, the last night of our hunt.  In the morning I would be flying out  and Rick would be heading up to see his daughter.  I had not put eyes on a hog yet on this trip.  It was very wet when we were there and they weren't hitting the feeders hard.  We assumed that with all the moisture they were content to root.

So, Sunday night, this is my view of the feeder:

Sunset is 5:45 with shootable light till 6:15ish.  Rick texts me at 5:37 "Shot a pig in the pines".  Sweet!

I text Rick at 6:03 "I'd like to sit here just a bit more".

Well, with darkness creeping in at 6:10 I decide I'm gonna turn my headlamp on, point it at the feeder and stay a bit after dark. Just after I turn on my headlamp and get it facing the feeder I hear and vaguely see a spotted hog coming in from the left.  Here's where I screw up.

I turn my head to look at the hog, turning my headlamp as well!  I fumble with trying to turn it off quickly, making the light dance around a bit.  He doesn't like that and changes his angle to avoid the feeder to my left.

He's 25 yards out, moving at a slight trot and will soon be too far left for me to shoot from this stand.  I had taken a picture from this stand earlier in the day and by happenstance captured the exact spot he would be at, just to the left of that water.

Now, this is not the shot I wanted, but it's the only shot that presented itself.  It was the last sit and I really wanted to bag a hog!  So I took the shot:  25 yards, moving target, dying light.  Jeesh.

The hog bolts and I can see my arrow, with it's reflective wrap, sticking up out of the ground where the hog had been.  I climb down and this is what I find:

We've got blood!  And it looks like good blood, though I didn't see the location of the hit.  I had watched the hog enter the swamp right behind me and made a mental note of where to start the blood trailing, but first I head out to meet Rick and Irv and recover Rick's hog.

Well, when we get back to my shot location we pick up the blood trail right away, and continue to have a solid trail for some time.  BUT, with all the shin-deep standing water the hog is getting a bath every 20 feet.  The water gets worse and we eventually lose the blood trail.
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2016, 08:22:00 PM »
Andrew, very glad you chimed in! Sounds like you had a good hunt but sometimes the circumstances work against us. I too, lost a boar a few years ago due to overnight rain. It happens. Perhaps we'll cross paths chasing pigs with Irv again down the road.
      Best regards,
             Todd

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2016, 09:31:00 PM »
Yeah man, spot and stalk, nice!
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2016, 09:46:00 PM »
Andrew's arrow was covered in clean, bright red blood with no trace of gut.  Had it not been for the puddles and pools of water I'm sure we would have located his pig.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©