3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Widow  (Read 1514 times)

Offline Brownie2111

• Trad Bowhunter
Black Widow
« on: January 14, 2016, 09:55:00 PM »
Hey guys,  I need some help I'm seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on a black widow. I've wanted one for a long time, even before I shot Traditional. I've got it bad for them, I've shot a few and really liked them ALOT! I know their people on here that have owned and shot a ton of them and just wanted some input. From some people who have shot more than just a few arrows through them. I usually keep quiet on here but figured I'd ask. Thanks in advance
Chase Brown

Re: Black Widow
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 09:59:00 PM »
Don't quite understand exactly what you are looking for, but BW's are very high quality bows. If you shot them, and you like them A LOT, then by all means , go for it! Nobody else can tell you what you will like anyway.

Good luck with your new widow!

Bisch

Online goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 10:12:00 PM »
I've not regretted my decision on buying one at all... I flat out love the way my PL looks and shoots!!!!  I could not be happier!

Good luck, shoot straight and God bless,

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 10:13:00 PM »
Chase, I don't know if this will help any, but here goes...

I have lived in south-west or south-central Missouri for most of my life, and always wanted a Widow. I had this idea in my head that I should shoot a bow built by people who live near me. Silly, I know. I have been by the Widow-Works so many times, shooting bows, asking advice, or just chewing the fat. I never could find one with a grip I really liked (which is super important to me) and never could make myself pull the trigger on a $1000+ bow. To make things worse, the guys at the shop are top notch, and as friendly and helpful a bunch as you will find.

Fast forward to early last summer; I was in Springfield for something or another, and drove down to Nixa to visit and maybe shoot a bow. NO intentions of buying one, but then it happened; I grabbed one off the rack and the grip fit me! It was a PCH-X (which I already liked for the short riser) and it had what I think they described as a "low standard" grip. I asked Roger if he'd sell it and I walked out with it. No regrets whatsoever!

I trade and run hot and cold on different types of bows quite a bit, and I may trade off the Widow someday - maybe even soon, but I will tell you that the bows are top-notch and the guys who own the company and run the shop are super good people. If there is one detractor for me, I feel they're kind of difficult to get as quiet as I like. I've got mine where I can live with it, but its still a little loud to my ears. If it weren't for that, I'd say they're perfect.
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 10:34:00 PM »
I had one for a number of years. It was the MA model. I bought two more sets of limbs for it as well. My only complaint was the fat grip. Only one was available at that time. Since then I have attended the Spring seminar and was able to shot as many bows as I could. My favorite beame an Osage LB but it was bought by another student. Only bow I could not shoot well was the PSR. It was shorter than I am used to and for some reason kept shooting high.
I never had an issue with the bow and limbs I owned. Bows are built to take a lot of abuse. When mine looked worst for wear I sent it to BW and got a refinish.
I cannot remember hearing any negatives about BW customer service. They are a phone call away.

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 11:25:00 PM »
Kinda thinking like Bisch...  Not sure what your question is, but I'll share my experience with the Widow recurve...

When I made the switch to traditional only in 2000 it was a SA III that made the decision for me...  Still have the bow with two sets of limbs...  It has went to the woods with me every year since...  Some more then others, but I've taken more critters with that bow then any other I have ever owned.  It was named "Reaper" by my friends as critters just seem to die when it heads to the woods with me...  This year both sets of limbs put meat in the freezer again...

I've owned quite a few other bows, including many other Widows...  But that SA has and will always be my favorite as we have so many memories...  I also have three other Widow curves in the bow rack, and they shoot equally well...  

Great bows, great customer service...  You can't go wrong with a purchase...  Be it a true custom with all the bells and whistles, or just the standard, new, or used...  Years of memories are just waiting to be made...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 12:00:00 AM »
I've owned an MA, CH, and two PSA's. They are great bows. The only bow I really shoot anymore is my PSA.  I have tried a lot of different bows over the years, but always ended up going back to my widow. You can get them quiet, but it does take a little more work than some other bows.

Great people to deal with too.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 12:01:00 AM »
I am a Widow shooter, through and through.  I have said it before and I'll say it again... I am convinced that my recurve and longbow (both Widows) are the king and queen of bows.  I love the way they feel and shoot, and don't regret a penny of the price I paid for them.

But... Widows are certainly not the only game in town.  There are a bunch of super bows to be found these days.  I'd love to have a Javaman, a Cari-bow, a Toelke Lynx, a Bob Lee, and a dozen others.  And maybe I will.  I've been fortunate enough to have shot a wide variety of bows.  But my first favorites are the 2 Widows I have right now.

Good luck with your choice!  It would be a good move on your part to go to a show and try some Widows out, or test drive one.  Have fun!
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 01:21:00 AM »
I don't think you could go wrong with a Widow. Great bows and people to deal with. You might wanna consider taking advantage of there test drive program before you order.

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 03:05:00 AM »
This game is about 90% mental, if you think a black widow will make you shoot better, chances are, it will !Spoil your self, go on and get it.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 03:09:00 AM »
I love all my bows, right now I love my psa a bit more than the rest.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline flyflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 06:38:00 AM »
Certainly consider their test drive program. Call them and discuss what you are looking for and they can send you a demo bow from their huge fleet of demo bows.
I live 5 hours away from Nixa and drove there to try em out and personally select the wood veneers. I also was surprised that I ended up really liking the Asbell grip.
Awesome experience!! Great group of folks.
As stated above...can't really go wrong with a BW.

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 07:40:00 AM »
I shoot a widow PAII. Its in greybark. Love it!  Fast and quiet.

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 08:19:00 AM »
I have owned, in order, the TF, LAG, SA, PCH and PL. All have been wonderful, with their own character as shooters. I passed all but the last along as my addiction to trying other bows deepened. I have to say, Widows are the best combination of shooting characteristics, performance, appearance and downright TOUGHNESS of any bow I have owned, plus you get the Widow guys in your corner. Can't do better, really.

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2016, 08:20:00 AM »
I have owned, in order, the TF, LAG, SA, PCH and PL. All have been wonderful, with their own character as shooters. I passed all but the last one along as my addiction to trying other bows deepened and my understanding of what worked for me in terms of weight and bow type changed. I have to say, Widows are the best combination of shooting characteristics, performance, appearance and downright TOUGHNESS of any bow I have owned, plus you get the Widow guys in your corner. Can't do better, really.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 08:53:00 AM »
I to have owned the TF, LAG, SA, PCH and PL and I now only shoot the plx and love it and a plus is it is a TD.

Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 08:57:00 AM »
Like Jeff above I once owned a PSA III that was deadly. When I shot at something, it was dying. Very confident with that bow. I sold it as back then as I didn't know what I know now about silencing a bow. I hope to own a PCH one day and give them another go. Like has been said, other than being a bit hard to tame the decibel level they are a top shelf bow. I will add none of the critters that fell to mine ever heard it until it was too late. Go for it!

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2016, 09:13:00 AM »
I've had a couple of widows that I TRIED very hard to like because they were FAST.  In the end the grip was never right and I could never get them AS QUIET as my longbows.

They are great bows though, that's for sure, and built for pure performance.  I just couldn't get them fitting right for me.

I'd say shoot one, and if it works for you, you will be one satisfied customer.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2016, 11:06:00 AM »
I have owned several BW bows and liked them all fairly well. My favorite was the MA and it was the quietest model I owned. If you like longbows their PL was a great shooter and I really enjoyed shooting that bow, although it certainly wasn't the fastest LB I ever owned it was a killer ! One thing about BW's they are tough.

Lots of good bows out there and over the years here on TG classifieds I have bought and traded LOTS of them. It's a much more cost effective way to try many different bows. Good luck on your quest.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline pruski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2016, 01:43:00 PM »
Here is my experience.  have owned tons of bows since 94 (trad bows) had three different black widow recurves, nicely made, solid, fast smooth. Never really liked the physical weight or the forward handle, felt off for me. But i always keep thinking of trying one again, so i am sure I will own another... along with my robertsons, trailsend morrisons, schafers   man what a sick sport i got into,  ha ha

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©