3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nock high  (Read 525 times)

Offline Chris Pharr

• Trad Bowhunter
Nock high
« on: January 17, 2016, 06:23:00 PM »
Ok guys, like the subject says, I'm getting a constant nock high issue. Same results regardless of tuning method (bareshaft and paper).  
Left to right, 1/2" high, 9/16, & 5/8" on paper. I'm pretty confident my spine is good now, switched to a 340 shaft @ 30" BOP with 285 gr point, 100 gr insert, and roughly 11 gr aluminum footing. Shooting my Bear Grizzly with the limbs vertical so as not to confuse myself.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Chris
60% of the time,  it works every time

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nock high
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 06:29:00 PM »
Have you tried adjusting your nocking point?  Either it is too high, or too low and giving you a false nock high as it is hitting on the shelf.  What is your nock height set at now?

Offline Chris Pharr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 07:00:00 PM »
That's what I meant by the 1/2", 9/16", & 5/8"; left shot thru paper is with nock set at 1/2" high, etc, etc. Yes, I've adjusted the nock height, started with the nock point @ 1" high and worked down to these shots. They're as close as I've been able to get. Also tried adjusting brace height a bit, but I like the way the bow feels when it's set at its current setting, 8-3/8", which also according to my Bear owners manual is about the max (manual gives range of 7.5-8.5").
I shoot split fingers, draw length is 29".
Bow is 55lb Grizzly,

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 07:17:00 PM »
You've gotta be close. If you shoot split and use small diameter shafts you can bring it down a bit further. What is your shaft and shooting style?
Thom

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 07:19:00 PM »
If you are shooting split I would lower the nock point under a half. I would also try a second nock under the arrow as well if stll having problems. Worth a try,
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline PennDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 09:28:00 PM »
Boy, I had the same darn problem with bare shafts.  I eventually gave up and fletched my arrows.  I shot through paper yesterday and got a bullet hole.

Offline Chris Pharr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 10:32:00 PM »
Shooting store branded gold tip 340's, 5/16"diameter. I use a secondary, lower nock point as well.

Best I can shoot at 25 yds. I've got 2 broad heads(right of bare shaft), 1 bare shaft, and 1 field point. That was with nock point set at 5/8"

Offline BHall

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 11:13:00 PM »
I may not have the answer for you but I found the answer for me.  I was also constantly getting nock high on paper or bare shaft.  I watched a video with Ken Beck (masters of the barebow 2 maybe?).  He talks about what a challenge it can be to fix nock high.  Once you go through all the standard adjustments (adjusting nock point) it could be a form issue.  He talked about some guys only fix it with an elevated rest.  He showed how you can flex your arrow down on release to cause nock high with deflection.  So I changed gloves to one I could feel the pressure better on my string.  I quit squeezing the arrow nock so tight (split).  Basically I cleaned up my release. Nock high stopped immediately.  Worked for me.  Good luck.

Found the video.  Start at 9:00

Offline LongbowArchitect

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 10:25:00 AM »
The only thing that works for me is an elevated rest (Bear Weather Rest). With the elevated rest I get perfect bare shaft flight every shot.

Offline Chris Pharr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 11:38:00 AM »
I've watched that Ken Beck tuning video a few times. I've tried shooting 2 under to eliminate nock pinch, no luck. I don't like the feel of 2 or 3 under, just feels strange. I think I might try one of those feather rests like what comes on the Bear Kodiak, see if that helps.

Offline BHall

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 11:52:00 AM »
Chris--
I don't like 2 or 3 under either.  I like the turkey feather rests better than the Bear Weather rests.  You might also try a split finger tab.  I have to really concentrate on not tensing up my string arm.  I'm just guessing for all I know it may still be a tuning issue you have.  I worked for many frustrating hours only to learn it was my release causing the problem.  On heavier bows I have no issue b/c the string is ripping out of my fingers so my crappy release is less counterproductive.  Well take care.

Offline kiamichi kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 12:07:00 PM »
The feather rest should fix your problem. I had the same issue with the Bob Lee longbow last year. The wide shelf was the issue for me. The black widow tuning video shows why they prefer a narrow shelf. It's easier to tune and helps get nock-high out of your shot. I ended up putting a narrow strip of rest material about 1/8 of an inch on top of the material I already had on my shelf. The extra 8th inch of elevation took out the nock-high issue.
For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. Phil. 1:21

Offline kiamichi kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 12:11:00 PM »
The feather rest should fix your problem. I had the same issue with the Bob Lee longbow last year. The wide shelf was the issue for me. The black widow tuning video shows why they prefer a narrow shelf. It's easier to tune and helps get nock-high out of your shot. I ended up putting a narrow strip of rest material about 1/8 of an inch on top of the material I already had on my shelf. The extra 8th inch of elevation took out the nock-high issue.
For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. Phil. 1:21

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 12:42:00 PM »
With all that weight up front it is a no wonder the shafts do not fly tail high naturally. Did you try a fletched shaft?
I also use a elevated rest on my recurves to help with form issues. I end up with right-left issue (spine) more so than nock high/low issues. I also read a little nock high is ok. Think that was Ken Beck that said that.

Offline Chris Pharr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 01:01:00 PM »
The shots thru the paper in my first post are with fletched shafts, shot at 6' from the paper tuning jig, as per the Easton tuning guide. I highly doubt my arrows are nose diving within 6'. Maybe out around 40-50 yards, but not 6'. I'm going to order a feather rest this afternoon, see if that helps. I know I don't have perfect form, but it would sure be hard to get consistent years while paper tuning like I'm getting if my form was that far off, IMO. I'll keep playing with it till I get that rest.
On a side note, another thread I started about feather size, I ended up trying the A&A style, as per the Ashby reports, 1/2" high in the back and 2.5" long. They work great for me, seem to handle my 1.5" wide Magnus classics just fine

Offline Chris Pharr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2016, 01:20:00 PM »
The shots thru the paper in my first post are with fletched shafts, shot at 6' from the paper tuning jig, as per the Easton tuning guide. I'm going to order a feather rest this afternoon, see if that helps. I know I don't have perfect form, but it would sure be hard to get consistent years while paper tuning like I'm getting if my form was that far off, IMO. I'll play with my release some, see if I'm torquing the string or pinching it one way or another, flexing the shaft at full draw in a mirror tonight.
Thanks for all the thoughts, I appreciate it

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2016, 02:11:00 PM »
Be sure that you have enough top finger on your string. I know when I use to shoot a shorter bow that I tended to drop some of my top finger pressure on the string and it gave me all kinds of tuning issues. Mainly nock high.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2016, 03:36:00 PM »
I shoot with no pressure on my top finger and it helped my release but also caused my arrows to shoot nock high. A little more tuning and now it puts round holes in the paper. don't ask how because I just kept playing with it and now It's good to go
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 06:33:00 PM »
They could be nose diving at 6 ft if nock point is too low.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2016, 02:45:00 AM »
I would spray the back of my arrow with foot powder to see if you could be hitting you riser.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©