3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Drill Master arrow saw  (Read 737 times)

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Drill Master arrow saw
« on: January 18, 2016, 08:00:00 PM »
Has anyone tried this product?  I'm sure that big Jim Wouldnt stock a bad item.  I would like to know of anyone has any experience.  The price is certainly attractive compared to other arrow saws on the market.

http://www.shop.bigjimsbowcompany.com/Drill-Master-2-Bench-Top-Cut-Off-Saw-DM2COS.htm

Thanks gang,

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Drill Master arrow saw
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 08:33:00 PM »
I know some folks that use that one with good results
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 08:52:00 PM »
I have one very similar, works like a charm.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 09:01:00 PM »
Thanks guys.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
PBS Associate Member

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 09:06:00 PM »
I have one and its great for the occasional arrow maker.  You have to take your time, and "de-bur" or sand the cut when finished.  It doesn't compare to a high speed like an Apple cut-off saw, but it's not I tended to.

Great saw for me.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline TexasKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 07:00:00 AM »
My experience is exactly the same as J Cook

I use an arrow straightening tool to clean up the edges and De burr them
They can come out uneven if not
With it, it works great

That being said I would like to have an Apple one of these days

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 05:31:00 PM »
I bought mine from Harbor Freight.  It works quite well and only cost $32.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 06:27:00 AM »
If you live near a harbor freight you can purchase them for $32 plus tax and a blade will run you another $6 or so elsewhere as HF doesn't have them.  We Cary them for convenience.  
They are certainly not a high quality volume saw, but work great for turning.  One you know what you need, we'll cut for free...but then there's always new bows, new arrows. It's certainly handy to have an arrow saw and these will work for wood, aluminum and carbon.
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Basstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 06:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by BigJim:
If you live near a harbor freight you can purchase them for $32 plus tax and a blade will run you another $6 or so elsewhere as HF doesn't have them.  We Cary them for convenience.  
They are certainly not a high quality volume saw, but work great for turning.  One you know what you need, we'll cut for free...but then there's always new bows, new arrows. It's certainly handy to have an arrow saw and these will work for wood, aluminum and carbon.
BigJim
Another example of why I truly appreciate Big Jim's company and the wonderful customer service he provides.  What a class response right here.  Every order, transaction, and conversation I've had with Jim has been top notch!

Offline Paul Cousineau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 06:39:00 AM »
I have one. As others have stated, it works good for occasional cuts and tuning. I wouldn't use it for high volume stuff. I have found that it doesn't do the greatest job cutting perfectly square. after I cut I use a file and machinist square to finish them up nicely. I also question the longevity of this saw as it isn't very well constructed. That being said it's cheap and beats the heck out of using a dremel.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feast on the riches of the hunt. -Proverbs 12:27

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 08:04:00 AM »
Paul, I must commend you for your attention to accuracy but personally that is not something I have ever been that concerned about in my own arrows. I have never found any of the saws that when set properly, wouldn't cut accurately enough to do a satisfactory job.
Even the pro saws aren't perfect, but I've never known a cut to cost me an animal or a point.
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Harmless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 09:40:00 AM »
Got one and it works fine on carbons, cuts square, just have to go slow.
Hoots custom, lil Hoot
Blackwidow PSA111
Dwyer Dauntless
and a whole bunch of Bears

>>-Shoot Straight-->

Offline Joey Ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 10:47:00 AM »
Turn the blade around. Will make smoother cuts.
Joey Ward

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 01:43:00 PM »
I have a similar one I ordered from Harbor Freight. By the time I paid shipping, found appropriate abrasive blades for carbons and had them shipped in I'd been ahead to just buy from Big Jim! Didn't know he sold them.
With that said it does a great job as far as I'm concerned for the back yard hobbyists. But I wouldn't want to use it full time in a archery shop building arrows.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 03:23:00 PM »
I appreciate all the responses.  $6 is worth it to me to support a sponsor.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
PBS Associate Member

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 10:58:00 PM »
Just wrap your carbons in a layer of electical tape and cut with a file or hacksaw while rotating the arrow. I make all my carbon arrows and make fletchings from turkey wings. Ive always cut them with a file or hacksaw. Just cut a little at a time and rotate.

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 11:51:00 PM »
I have one of these little saws and mounted it to a 1x6 and then I use an adjustable stop so that i can repeatedly cut a shaft to the same length once it get my length figured. I have been cutting carbon shafts and aluminum footings and collars. I am very happy with this little saw.
Martin Hatfeild TD (bearings)RC
Trails End     (Good Medicine) RC
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

Offline JR Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2016, 06:09:00 AM »
I do the same a pinky and use an adjustable stop to cut the same length. Good little saw for me, I may cut a few dozen shafts a year and it has been fine. I do square the ends with a squaring device, but I do that with all shafts.

I originally baought this so I could cut my own shafts for tuning and then when I got the length right I would just order shafts to that length....but now I just cut all my own shafts. Hope this helps.
God Bless

Numunuu

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2016, 06:54:00 PM »
I bought mine years ago from Harbor Freight,it was only $19.95 back then.Mounted it on a board and made an adjustable stop block for repeatable cuts.On my stop block I drilled a taper hole with a chamfer bit so I could rotate the shaft as I cut.This is how the more expensive saws cut arrows.They only have a small portion of the blade exposed.You bring the arrow in to the blade and rotate as you cut.I adjust the vise for the arrow size,then bring the blade just in to the shaft and rotate it with one hand as I cut.This will give you a squarer cut and the blade will last longer because you're not trying to cut all the way through the shaft in one stroke.I have cut many dozens of shafts for myself and friends over the years.It is real nice being able to cut your own shafts for tuning.It is a high speed saw but doesn't have a lot of torque.It cut carbon and aluminum but will bogg down cutting through a wood shaft.I use my old Martin wood arrow saw for woods.

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2016, 01:06:00 AM »
I have one from HF, it's rated at like 7000 rpm. If big Jim's spins faster and comes with a blade for carbons then buy from Jim. I've made some bad cuts with mine. I've had some splintering on the bottom side of the cut, using a diamond coated wheel. The wheel bogs down a bit through the cut but it's cheaper than an apple arrow saw. Definitely nice to have though.
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©