3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Think you know all the great ASLs being made? You may have missed this one.  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
I’ve owned a lot of bows. I won’t specify the number because it’s kind of embarrassing as I think about it. To me a masterfully crafted bow is one of the most beautiful things in the world, and there’s a lot of beautiful bows out there looking for homes, my home in particular, apparently.

Because of all of the bows I’ve owned I’ve had the opportunity to learn a little bit about bow design, both glass laminate bows as well as selfbows and backed wood bows. In over twenty years of shooting traditional bows I’ve learned about bows from many bowyers; dedicated, serious minded men who have made it their life's work to design and craft optimal, beautiful, high performance bows.

Along the way I fell hard for the American longbow, aka Hill aka ASL style bows. Talk about beautiful, elegant longbows. That continuous, gentle arch is mesmerizing and seductive, and has seduced me countless times.

I’ve owned many ASLs. There are few that I haven’t owned, and let me be completely honest by saying I haven’t shot them all, but I think I’ve shot enough of them to be able to say there are some that are better designed and better performing than others. I’ve never shot a completely disappointing ASL, but I’ve shot some great examples of this type of bow, with one in particular that completely stands apart from the others.  

I’ve followed the passionate posts on Trad Gang related to ASLs. I’ve never seen so much enthusiasm for any particular bow design. Apparently I’m not the only one who thinks this style of bow has everything to offer. I’ve noticed a trend towards certain prefered bowyers in many posts, and rightly so. There are some very talented bowyers making great bows of this type, and I’d like to add to that list of bowyers by mentioning an ASL that’s not apparently well known, but should be.

Tom Parsons of Kimsha Archery has been making traditional bows as long as anyone I can think of. Thirty years if I have calculated it correctly. Along with being a master bowyer, by my definition, talking with Tom is like talking with a bow scientist. He has designed and crafted every type of traditional bow, from hotrod hybrids and recurves to reflex deflex longbows, takedown bows and American/Hill style bows. He still does everything by hand, which is becoming rare among bowyers these days. He knows limb design like no one else I’ve spoken with.

The ASL that Tom is most known for is his Mattawoman (   http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=099233#000000   ), a narrow, trapezoidal limb, deep core longbow that forms a perfect D shape when strung. It hides a tremendous amount of energy resulting from a brilliant limb design. It has the preload of many R/D bows without the appearance of an R/D bow. It’s a hotrod ASL.

A few years ago Tom designed a new bow that fits more closely with the American/Hill style bow; the Kimsha “Traditions”.

The Traditions is, based on my experience, an optimal, straight limb, American/Hill style longbow. It has that sweet, unmistakable draw that makes this style of bow so appealing, but what’s really impressive is what happens when the string is released. Tom’s limb tapers make for a surprisingly sweet shot. It’s fast, quiet, and has as little hand shock as can be imagined in this type of bow. It’s as if everything that could be right about this type of bow is right in the Traditions. Compared with many other longbows of similar configuration that I have personally shot, it’s the most well mannered of them all. Tom’s level of craftsmanship, fit and finish is equally impressive. His bows are fine art for anyone who appreciates a masterfully crafted bow.

Here are two quick images of the two Traditions that I own and the Mattawoman in the above link. You can just make out the backset in the Mattawoman in the pictures below. It's the bow on the far left. Of course pictures tell a very limited story of any bow, except for the what makes a bow beautiful to behold.

Five laminations of bamboo and phenolic limb wedges in all cases. All 66” and 57#@28”.

Good lookin' sticks!

Thanks for the review.

Bisch

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
When do you guys sleep?
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
I've been saying it since I started this trad journey.  Tom's bows are waaaay under appreciated.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
I said it in the ASL post, bowyers making ASL's have picked up their game. Good thing you posted to let folks know because I didn't see the traditions on his web site. Very nice looking bows and review. As I purchase bows you would think the list would get shorter not longer.

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by Jack Skinner:
I said it in the ASL post, bowyers making ASL's have picked up their game. Good thing you posted to let folks know because I didn't see the traditions on his web site. Very nice looking bows and review. As I purchase bows you would think the list would get shorter not longer.
I think so, too. Tom didn't even know about the huge interest in ASLs. He just wanted to make the best version he could using all of his experience and knowledge.

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by kbetts:
I've been saying it since I started this trad journey.  Tom's bows are waaaay under appreciated.
No kidding. Tom is one of the most brilliant bowyers, and most knowledgeable. He couldn't care less about computers and social media, and that may be why he's not as well known as he should be. I've owned his bows for many years. He sets the standard for me when considering any bow.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
I had an 'awareness' about Tom's work but I'm really happy for this 'enlightenment'.  Thanks for the share!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by nineworlds9:
I had an 'awareness' about Tom's work but I'm really happy for this 'enlightenment'.  Thanks for the share!
Chuck, I'm shocked. You of all people.    :knothead:

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Nice review and great looking bows. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Ghost, in looking at the photos some more, it looks like the unstrung Traditions in the middle has just a little string follow. Is that correct? thanks - Jeff

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Love that straight limbed bow in the middle. There is something very attractive about straight bows that brace in a classic "D" shape. It's the definition of a bow in my eyes.

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by Joe2Crow:
Ghost, in looking at the photos some more, it looks like the unstrung Traditions in the middle has just a little string follow. Is that correct? thanks - Jeff
I had to check. I put the back of the bow on a flat surface, and taking the handle wrap into consideration, I'd have to say the limb is straight. I'll ask Tom just to be sure.

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by PEARL DRUMS:
Love that straight limbed bow in the middle. There is something very attractive about straight bows that brace in a classic "D" shape. It's the definition of a bow in my eyes.
My thought exactly, except of course a fine osage selfbow with heavily reflexed tips.   ;)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Well, you got me in the soft spot Bob!

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
I keep coming back to this thread to look at the bottom bow in the last pic, the black leather grip one.
I never really "got it" with these Hill style bows, but that one has me thinking. Fred Asbell talks very highly of Mr. Parsons and his bows.
I'm off to the KimSha website...again!
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I have a Mattawomen II with 5 Bamboo lams and a layer of carbon.......it's one of my go to bows. Mr. Tom is a real nice guy to talk to.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by Hopewell Tom:
I keep coming back to this thread to look at the bottom bow in the last pic, the black leather grip one.
I never really "got it" with these Hill style bows, but that one has me thinking. Fred Asbell talks very highly of Mr. Parsons and his bows.
I'm off to the KimSha website...again!
Tom's website is a little dated. You'd be better off calling him. The traditions is not on his website anyway.

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by PEARL DRUMS:
Well, you got me in the soft spot Bob!
Ha! I knew it!

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
I met Mr. Tom at the Paradise hunting club in south Ga. once. I was able to handle a couple of his bows and was very impressed though I did not shoot one. He had a recurve with a thump rest grip that was very sweet.He and G Fred seemed like really good folks. RC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©