3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I just can't  (Read 672 times)

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
I just can't
« on: January 19, 2016, 05:10:00 PM »
After all that I went through starting at almost a year ago today on this trad journey, the ups and downs. The humbling experience of my first full trad season. Me getting disappointed and lacking confidence, missing and wounding a deer, backing away and buying another compound....I keep going back to that recurve. I keep imagining what that moment will be like when "it" happens. The funny thing is, "it" has happened. Not a harvest, but just being able to actually shoot this weapon and hit something, anything. The target. The foam deer from 20 yards. "it" happens, more often than not these days. A year ago I couldn't hit the target. And although I have not taken an animal yet with the curve, I just can't stop shooting and dreaming. I have the compound, it's nice, but it's boring and I hate shooting it compared to the curve. This journey is far from over. So to those just starting today or this past month, prepare for the ups and downs and if you are truly bit by the bug it will always itch where you are bit and that place is your soul. Thanks tradgang for all the support and encouragement.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I just can't
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 05:25:00 PM »
The ups and downs are the best part....

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 05:44:00 PM »
Way to stay after it Landon !!! Just think how rewarding it's gonna be when it finally happens.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 05:45:00 PM »
small game hunt

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 05:57:00 PM »
The downs make the ups that much sweeter.   :archer:
shoot straight shoot often

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 06:15:00 PM »
It is the misses that make the connections so sweet.  Eventually you will get to the point (hopefully) that you are confident of most every shot out to .. yards.  Even then you have those occasional or even semi-regular blinks that make you realize how beautiful it is when the arrow flies right where you want it to.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 06:32:00 PM »
It is a hollow experience to work for a paycheck, to fish just to catch something and shoot a bow just get a kill.  I feel sorry for those who feel this way, but most archers who choose a traditional bow (that I have met) usually seem to get it.  The intrinsic value of something is what makes that something worthwhile.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 06:35:00 PM »
Patience, sincerity, resolution, commitment, reward.

I've been shooting (only) several years "trad", never had a compound.
Sometimes I feel confident, sometimes  frustrated.
I still feel reward, regardless. No desire to try a compound.

If I never arrow a critter, so be it. I still am fulfilled walking the woods with my bow, making hits on stumps or whatever, watching for sign, thinking with hunter's mind...

Maybe depends/reflects what we each find important about the experience?

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 06:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by slowbowjoe:
Patience, sincerity, resolution, commitment, reward.

I've been shooting (only) several years "trad", never had a compound.
Sometimes I feel confident, sometimes  frustrated.
I still feel reward, regardless. No desire to try a compound.

If I never arrow a critter, so be it. I still am fulfilled walking the woods with my bow, making hits on stumps or whatever, watching for sign, thinking with hunter's mind...

Maybe depends/reflects what we each find important about the experience?
very good post. I had to come to grips with where I am as a hunter. Many years of hunting and in the end I came to the realization that I enjoy many aspects of hunting and that when the mood hits, sometimes I am a gun hunter, others I am a compound bow hunter, and yet, even a trad bow hunter. I am a hunter, with several tools.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 06:49:00 PM »
Some of my most memorable hunting experiences have come with the most effort put in, with or without a kill.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline RedStag5728

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 07:48:00 PM »
I'm sure we've all been there, heck I just transitioned from compound to trad 3 years ago, and I haven't touched my compound since! It's those ups and downs and the lore of the fact that I am in-tune with my greatest ancestors (I am a small part Cherokee).

The first little while is always rough, heck there for a while I couldn't hit my 3-D target to save my life at 15 yards.

But now I've read up a learnt a lot especially from the folks here on this marvelous cyber network, and have gotten better. I am by no means good, but better than I was. The keys are persistence, patience, and passion.

You have 2 of the three, you just need   patience  

And you know I took my first trad animal this year (technically last year...the calendar year 2015    :knothead: ) , it took me 3 years but it came! A small yearling doe, but if you could have seen my face at the time you would have sworn I killed a monster buck!

Hang in there bud, the time will come when it all comes together!
Randy
CTA RedStag LB 64" ntn 57# @ 28"
Hickory SB (#2) 64" ntn 43# @ 28"
Hickory East Woodland SB 65# @ 27"
Darkside Laminated LB 50# @ 28"
Darkside Laminated LB 37# @ 28"

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 08:04:00 PM »
I did come close a few times and I had two bucks at less than 5 yards but hunt club rules wouldn't allow me to shoot them.. but I did take great pride in the fact that I put myself in a situation where I would have given myself a very good chance at harvesting. This coming season is a good ways off, however, I do have an opportunity at late season antler less deer if I feel ready for it. I did feel I put a bunch of pressure on myself last season to close the deal. I don't need that pressure next season.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 09:00:00 PM »
Shooting a stick bow is way more fun then the other type so remember why you started shooting a stick, FUN.:-)

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 09:00:00 PM »
I know exactly what you're talking about with "It"...   My "It" came many years ago, but I can remember it like yesterday...

My wife and I were stationed in Alaska, and the Base had an Archery club that held 3D shoots monthly.  For some reason I decided to go, and bring my recurve.  At that time I was hovering on going full traditional, but went anyway...  Low and behold I was the only one in the traditional class...  Got put into a group of two "Open" division shooters and a "Bowhunter" division shooter...  At least that is what I think the classes where called...

Anyway, we all made introductions and headed to the first target.  It was a Ram target downhill at about 20 yards.  They proceeded to make their shots at their respective stakes, and while I was looking for the traditional stake, which was not to be found...  Remember the only one in the division from earlier???  So I just stepped up to the Bowhunter stake, looked at the target and "It" happened.  I looked at the target and I knew I could make that shot.  Nocked an arrow, drew to anchor focusing on the vitals and dropped an arrow right in the 10 ring next to the other arrows that were there...  When all was said and done, I won the traditional class, and the Bowhunter class...  That was my "It" moment, and the rest is history...

"It" will happen, confidence, good form, and a well tuned bow are as important as the hunting skills it takes to get close enough for the opportunity...
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 12:26:00 AM »
Traditional Archery like life is a journey not a destination. And its treasures are not just found at the end but all along the way.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Mud_Slide_Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 07:57:00 AM »
Landon,
Forget about killing and harvesting.  Treasure each day you are able to carry your bow into the field.  Observe all the stories the woods secretly hold and learn from them.  Take a deep breath, relax and play the wind...it will happen.

I'm 3 years into my journey.  Have missed 2 doe cleanly and 1 squirrel and haven't taken anything with my bow yet., but I know it is only a matter of time.  There is frustration...just try to learn from it.  Oh yeah...almost forgot...pick a spot.

Bill-
Luke 10:18-20
>>>---------->

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 08:15:00 AM »
I have 2 deer hunting seasons under my belt now with traditional gear. First had no shot; could have killed 3 with a compound. The second had a shot but due to a bow failure did not get her. Could have killed 2 others with a compound. I have ZERO desire to pick up a compound; enjoy the time out with traditional gear - there is no other feeling like it.
SWA Spyder

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 08:20:00 AM »
yeh there is no other feeling like it. that's why whenever I go to shoot I always reach for the recurve instead of the wheels. It's just something about it that pulls me to it.

Offline Shooter#21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 08:38:00 AM »
The experience is the "it". I too am yet to harvest a big game animal with a trad bow. Really healthy prospective throughout this post. I posted a hunt experience back in December entitled "Missed...but a good experience" and received some encouraging replies if anyone wants to read. I saw two other deer within the next couple weeks but both were too far for a confident shot. This site is a uncovered treasure.
Bear Super Kodiak 50 pounds
Samick Sage takedown 45 pounds
150 gr Grizzly single bevel

Offline Archer1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 10:49:00 AM »
I have come to like the challenge of not only becoming a better archer, but a better bowhunter and woodsman.

Besides, if it was easy it would be so much less rewarding.
Dwyer Longbow 48#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©