3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: beginner bows  (Read 512 times)

Offline dpg

• Trad Bowhunter
beginner bows
« on: January 20, 2016, 06:54:00 PM »
I have few friends that have never shot a bow before, but would like to learn.  My hunting recurves are too heavy, so I'm thinking about picking up a couple of decent used bows in the 35-45 lb range to get them started.  My question is: what brands/models of recurves would you recommend as good starter bows?

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: beginner bows
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 07:13:00 PM »
I just bought my first and got a Samick Sage. I've been happy with it, but really haven't shot anything else to compare it to.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 07:20:00 PM »
Any of the Samicks would be a good choice. 45# is too much to start someone off on. An average man should start off at about 35#, and an average woman at about 25-30#.  A child should start off at about 15-20#, depending on age and strength.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 07:30:00 PM »
I know that I wish I had made the switch from a 74# compound to a 40# bow. I spent nearly 2 years convincing myself I didn't need to drop weight...and I've ended up losing that aurgement.

Something at least 58" and no more than 40#.
Micah 6:8

Offline Duncsquatch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 07:30:00 PM »
I agree with the poundages Mcdave reccomends, I started off at 55lbs and went down to 36lbs then back up as I learned.  Also for beginners stay away from short bows if possible.
Brackenbury "Oldtimer" Longbow 62" 64lbs @29
1973 Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 60lbs at 28
Sammick Sage 62" 60lbs @28
Hoyt Pro Medalist 70" 37lbs @28
Darton Trailmaster 75lbs @28

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 10:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by McDave:
Any of the Samicks would be a good choice. 45# is too much to start someone off on. An average man should start off at about 35#, and an average woman at about 25-30#.  A child should start off at about 15-20#, depending on age and strength.
Sound advice for sure. I bought mine with 45 lb limbs and wish I'd gotten 40 lb limbs instead. I'm comfortable with it now, but at first it was tough and I couldn't shoot as much as I do now.

Online shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 11:19:00 PM »
35# Samick Sage would be perfect. I bought one for my wife. I really enjoy shooting it from time to time myself.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 07:23:00 AM »
I started with 40 lbs and feel it was just about right although the first couple times shooting it, I fatigued quickly.

I think it would be fine to pick up any used bow... probably an old production bow.... just get them started, if they really like it and want to get more advanced, you will know, then you can decide where the next step is when you get there.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 07:48:00 AM »
The Samick Sage is probably the best VALUE available in new bows.  Not to say there aren't better bows, just no better bow for the money, IMO.  You may also consider ANY Shakespeare bow if you want to look at older bows.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 08:01:00 AM »
The nice thing about getting a Samick Sage is that new limbs are only $ 75.00.  I'm guessing after a new shooter gets to liking shooting a 30# Sage, they will want hunting weight limbs.  So, the initial purchase is about $ 140.00 and a second set of limbs are about $ 75.00 bringing the total to $ 215.00.  Not bad.

I picked up a Samick Journey as a back-up bow for a trip in 2014.  That's a 64" version of the Sage (Sage is 62").  When my Brackenbury didn't show up, I hunted the Journey and found it every bit as easy to shoot, and effective as the Brackenbury.

Now, I have 7 bows, two customs (Brack & Blacktail), two "production" bows (Howett Hunter & Wing Swift Wing), and several Samick bows.  Yet, I find my Samick Journey easiest to shoot, and I have been successful with it.

Hope that helps.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 08:12:00 AM »
I am going against the popular answer and always recommend a nice vintage Bear, Browning, Ben Pearson, Herter, Howatt, etc...

You can get a very nice vintage bow with straight limbs and good tips without significant wear or tear on overall finish for $100-175 frequently.  Especially in classifieds here or over at RMS Archery Gear.

Plus the tradition, feel and history of that bow will be more than the asian imports can offer and the bow will not lose value as long as you take care of it as it is already at its USED PRICE.  Additionally, you save another piece of history from a detrimental existence in a closet, hot attic, garage filled with junk or pawn shop to be thrown aside unwanted.

The vintage bows give nothing up in shootability and performance to the modern bows in most cases...at least nothing noticeable and many such as Browning Wasp will surprised many a shooter in its ability to cast an arrow.

I also agree to stay in the 40-45# range for a beginner...35# up if small framed female or youth.  Then hang on to the bow so you can share it with someone else in future...Plus your FIRST custom or vintage bow is always special.

Good luck....again I recommend buying a bow with some soul and history.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 09:02:00 AM »
since these will instructional bows, any cheap asian 3pc recurve will be fine, 35# is perfect for an adult, and 30# for a teenager.  you want as long a set of limbs as possible.  the riser wood and glass color has no bearing - holding weight, limb length and price are paramount.  

you want the arrow to lie on the riser as close to the bow hand as possible, so ditch any stick-on elevated rest, put a velcro rug rest on the shelf and a piece of electrical tape as the arrow pressure plate.  if the riser shelf isn't arc'd, put a 1/8" square piece of match stick or leather under the velcro rug right under the handle cut out, to allow hi-point for the arrow to ride on.

far, Far, FAR more important than the bow will be the arrow and it should be carbon, because alum and wood won't take beginner abuse all that well.  four 500 spine arrows in 27", 28" and 29" lengths, each with 5" full helical feathers.  have on hand screw-in field tips in 100, 150 and 200 grains.

that oughta do well for starters.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 09:15:00 AM »
I agree with the Samick starters and weight. Rob has a good plan, but I would go 600 carbons full length (30.5, I think, for GT Trads) on the arrow selection side. Lots of good arrows in 600 are out there for a good price. Length of the arrow won't matter much for beginners just trying to develop good form before developing accuracy.

An advantage to the new Samicks over vintage bows is warranty.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 09:49:00 AM »
Now I was transitioning from a compound and had shoot recurves in the distant past so after that disclaimer: I had a 45# Grizzly and a 35# Ben Pearson Collegian to start off with; I shot the Grizzly much better. I think the little heavier bow helps with pulling the string off your finger more cleanly.
SWA Spyder

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 10:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by dbd870:
Now I was transitioning from a compound and had shoot recurves in the distant past so after that disclaimer: I had a 45# Grizzly and a 35# Ben Pearson Collegian to start off with; I shot the Grizzly much better. I think the little heavier bow helps with pulling the string off your finger more cleanly.
these are training bows and not necessarily shooting bows.  what holding weight to use has lots to do with the shooter and their background, if any, in archery.  many a poor shooter has been baffled for decades by starting off with too heavy a holding weight.  learning the principles of form as they applies to trad bowhuntunt are most important.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 09:47:00 PM »
Low poundage Vintage bows hands down. Quality bows you can always get your money back on when you sell.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©