3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why have draw weights dropped over the past 12 years or so?  (Read 4007 times)

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Why have draw weights dropped over the past 12 years or so?
« on: January 21, 2016, 06:40:00 PM »
I'm really curious about this. I did a search but couldn't find anything.

Draw weights for men averaged 55#-60# 12 years or so ago. A woman's bow was in the low to mid 40#s. In looking at the classifieds I see a lot of guys selling bows that they feel are too heavy for them that were average draw weights not long ago.

Is it age and injuries? Are we practicing less and so having to shoot lighter bows to remain consistent?

I'm not holding myself up as some sort of standard, but at 64 I'm still shooting mid to high fifties,the draw weights I've always shot, and higher with selfbows. I shoot everyday, but only about 50 to 75 arrows.

Any insights would be appreciated. Out of the nearly 45,000 members of TG there have to be some members with insights into this phenomenon.

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why have draw weights dropped over the past 12 years or so?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 06:43:00 PM »
Contrary to the thoughts that you have posted (not trying to be snotty, here), what about just learning that it's not necessary to have a 60# draw weight to push an arrow through the vast majority of game animals in the U.S.?  

homebru

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 06:48:00 PM »
One reason that doesn't relate to the shooter is that bow performance has increased over the years, so that it is not necessary to shoot the same poundage to get the same performance.  Actually, I'm not sure performance has changed that much over the last 12 years, so much as people 12 years ago were still applying the standards that people were using many years before that.  I think people are now realizing they don't need the same poundage people used to use to get the job done.

As people get older (I'm 71), most of us drop down in poundage.  I started shooting a 65# bow in the '80's, and am now using a 50# bow to hunt and a 40# bow to shoot 3D.  I'm fortunate that I haven't had any significant shoulder problems, and I want to keep it that way.  Maybe shooting a lower poundage helps.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 07:02:00 PM »
I can't shoot the big weight any longer.  However I still shoot 52# even though many use less for deer.
I am of the opinion that even if 40# work, 50# works better so long as you shoot it accurately.
The heavier poundage does take more practice for most of us, but I find shooting to be fum
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 07:03:00 PM »
Most of the young bucks are shooting compounds and the old trad hunters need to go down in wgt.I shot 60lb.in my younger days and now comfortable with 49/50 today.

Online jeffg

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 07:05:00 PM »
Old age for some (me)
66" Dave Miller Sage
64" Fox Triple crown
66" Nothern Mist American

Offline Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 07:11:00 PM »
For me I actually think it was reading posts on this site that pushed my poundage down haha....I started in the mid 60s and am now in the low 50s....but after years of my own experiences my next bow will be in the mid 60s again...I'm 33 and the weight isn't really a problem and despite the overwhelming reports of low weight bows working I've found myself several times over the past few seasons wishing for more draw weight after a couple of instances of marginal to just "ok" penetration on game.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 07:17:00 PM »
McDave always gets it right!

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 07:59:00 PM »
There are a host of discerning, justifiable and plausible contributors including marketing.

***The complete arrow design enhancements are a significant factor.

Just an FYI…There may be some Trad Gang members with accurate history of the 60’s that may be able to verify that the vast majority of bows sold by Bear Archery were 45@28.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 08:06:00 PM »
I think everyone is nailing it back then bows where just not what they are today different materials and a slightly different limb designs equal better performance after all if this wasn't true we'd all be shooting the same bow because the bows from the days of old would be as good as it could get and again this is just my opinion but we all know this isn't true progress drives humanity where constantly striving to do more with less and if my 42 pound bow can sling a arrow like a 55 pound bow then I'll grab it every time over higher poundage I personally switched to a trad bow because I like shooting it more than a compound that being said lower poundage lets me shoot longer  I started out with a 55 # longbow then to a 45# recurve back up to a 56# longbow and this is the gods honest truth my 42# widow out performs the other bows I've personally had that's why I shoot a lower poundage and before I get pulled over hot coals I'm not saying widows are surpiorer I'm just saying it outperformed everything I've personally owned
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 08:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Friend:
There are a host of discerning, justifiable and plausible contributors including marketing.

***The complete arrow design enhancements are a significant factor.

Just an FYI…There may be some Trad Gang members with accurate history of the 60’s that may be able to verify that the vast majority of bows sold by Bear Archery were 45@28.
That's an interesting point, and based on the Bear bows I've seen from that era you're right.

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 08:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by McDave:
One reason that doesn't relate to the shooter is that bow performance has increased over the years, so that it is not necessary to shoot the same poundage to get the same performance.  Actually, I'm not sure performance has changed that much over the last 12 years, so much as people 12 years ago were still applying the standards that people were using many years before that.  I think people are now realizing they don't need the same poundage people used to use to get the job done.

As people get older (I'm 71), most of us drop down in poundage.  I started shooting a 65# bow in the '80's, and am now using a 50# bow to hunt and a 40# bow to shoot 3D.  I'm fortunate that I haven't had any significant shoulder problems, and I want to keep it that way.  Maybe shooting a lower poundage helps.
True enough. There are some very high performance bows available these days, Like the Javaman Elkhart as one example. In combination with a carbon arrow I can understand a lighter, high performance bow being an option.

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 08:29:00 PM »
Great responses so far. Thanks everyone.

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 08:32:00 PM »
I know I've been shooting a 55# bow which I handle just fine, but during my trip to Black Widow the other day I realized that I enjoyed the 50# bows much more, and they were performing as well as my current 55# setup of a different make.
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 08:36:00 PM »
For a beginner a lighter draw bow helps them to learn good form.
For us older guys, a lighter weight bow helps us to be able to keep shooting despite the worn  and  damaged parts that we tend to have to endure...   :(

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 08:37:00 PM »
Maybe we have been sissyfied.LOL. Seriously, it has been the same way with compounds as well. The most popular draw weight for them now is 60# to 65# . The power they generate today at 60# is equivalent to 70# 15 years ago.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Duncsquatch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 08:40:00 PM »
Most trad shooters I have met are 50+ years old.  Most of the young people like myself shoot compounds or target recurve.
Brackenbury "Oldtimer" Longbow 62" 64lbs @29
1973 Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 60lbs at 28
Sammick Sage 62" 60lbs @28
Hoyt Pro Medalist 70" 37lbs @28
Darton Trailmaster 75lbs @28

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 08:50:00 PM »
I started with 45#, worked up to 65#, then back down again. It took me 25 years to do it.

My neck, shoulders, back, and elbows thank me every day!
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline mbugland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 09:31:00 PM »
I will dive into this as a young(er) buck in some instances... Or at least I want to keep tellignmyself I am.  The reason the weight is down on average... We are weak!  As a general populous it is pathetic.  Watching kids trickle into the Army over the sat two decades, it is pathetic to see what "strength" is.  
As a 230lbs dude, roll into the field of battle scared that if you go down, nobody is dragging you out alive.... They just can't.  
When I ptr on 100lbs of gear I can look around and find one or two cats that could move me if needed.

Just the basic: push-up, sit-up, 2-mile run is a life changing event for most... Hand them a dumbbell, not to mention a rucksack, and forget about it.  I've watched them try and swing sledge hammers, dig holes.... Hell, change a tire. It's amazing!
This country is doomed I tell you!

But hey, give them a cellphone or an Xbox and they can be anything you want them to be online... Car thiefs, gangsters, Special Forces super stars... They know everything there is to know about doing anything that requires zero exertion or use of muscle groups outside of their thumbs.

Ahhh deep breath.

Yeah, so as Men fade away and digitalis rise into the mainstream.... Draw weights are going to drop to equal one another. Joints fade, shoulders don't hold up, those years of physical labor and abuse of our bodies will put all the us on a level playing field with a bunch of kids that never broke a sweat in their lives. I understand that there will be quite a few exceptions to the rule, kids that were raised right, in the woods, on farms, or God willing found themselves with that friend, grandfather, stepfather... Or even mother sister or whatever in their lives that  raised them up right.

It's just sad.... They drink PBR because it's trendy, not because it's Union. Their skinny jeans, aren't wranglers or 501s.  Flannel shirts that are made of worthless material, "dang barbwire tatto doesn't even go all the way around"

It's just an absolutely weeker generation than I would have ever dreamed possible.  Smarter than crap, absolutely willing to work their butt off not to work at all...

Ya know, I'm sure every generation has said the same of their predecessors.  I'm sure I am weaker than my fathers generation, and he weaker than his.... Wonder what my grandfather said sitting around the campfire.  I remember when I was 10 or 12 I finally got to talk to my grandfather about bows, he use to talk about his bows, I was proud of my 35# Black Bear... But it certainly wasn't the 110# or 175# Hill bows he was shooting. Don't know if that type of raw manliness will ever be common place again. If I walk into a decent deal on. 100# Hill I will buy it just to try and be part the man he was.

Wow... That sparked one hell of a rant I guess.  I'll leave it and let the world enjoy.  Little frustration with the younger troopers these days I suppose. Really hard to build them up to where you want them, thinks it's called a l"eadership challenge"

Retirement will be amazing!
Shootz!

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 09:35:00 PM »
The "desire" to shoot high poundage bows has dropped over the 12 years.  There is an "aging traditional majority" of folks in the game. It takes a lot of effort to maintain strength with age.  Most choose to lower weight for enjoyment.  I would love to play Rugby again after 18 years of playing the sport but drinking beer and watching seems more realistic at 60 years old. Same with Archery.  But I still try and push the envelope.  Still believe a deer deserves a good drag out of the woods, screw the 4 wheeler!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©