3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Traveling to the hunt?  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Traveling to the hunt?
« on: January 22, 2016, 07:41:00 AM »
Today and Tomorrow, Some good friends and I  will be traveling South to go on a hog hunt.

There is a big weather system which is in our way.  We have the opportunity to go west, then south and get behind the storm and only add 30-45 minutes to the trip.  

My question is how well do states like Kentucky and Tennessee deal with snow?  are they able to clean up the roads in short amounts of time?
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Traveling to the hunt?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 10:12:00 AM »
Not to sound smart but I'd like to think I know a little about traveling and weather.. Your in for a eye opener. This is a big system and not to be messed with on the road. My advice would be to stay north and west of this one if your trying to go south from NY. Be Safe..

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 10:21:00 AM »
Kentucky and Tennessee to an ok job on the interstates, back roads not so much.  The drivers on the other hand struggle when it rains, snow usually makes it a disaster.  Central Kentucky is getting it hard right now, but worse case you can hole up here for the night if you need to.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 10:26:00 AM »
Man, it's going to be a disaster traveling south tonight through Sunday morning. I'd advise rescheduling.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 10:29:00 AM »
Thanks Guy's.  I expect we will behind the storm by 12 hours or better through Tennessee and Kentucky.  I am a Transportation Coordinator for work and understand how weather can affect travel. I watch it on a daily basis.

The difference is, I know in NY, if we get hit with 12 inches of snow, the Main Highways are cleared and safe for Travel within a couple hours.

My biggest concern is states that are not used to this kind of weather. Does it take days to clear the interstate or do they focus on the main roads and leave the rest for later?

Thanks for the great info so far....

Charlie
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 10:32:00 AM »
As of this very moment, my part of TN is an absolute mess. Traffic on I-40, I-24, and I-65 are covered in snow and appear to be at a stand still all in and around Nashville. This front is moving to the east. I don't know when you are leaving or the route that you plan to take, but it's a mess right now (9:30 AM Friday morning).

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 10:56:00 AM »
Charlie, be careful.  

It has been a very long time since I lived in Memphis and drove the western portions of Kentucky and Tennessee as part of my job.  Being a Yankee boy, I was blessed with some snow driving experience.  

Back then, Tennessee had almost NO snow cleaning ability, highway or otherwise and I couldn't believe how snarled up things got when it snowed a couple inches.

What we consider normal is the end of the world down there.  ( they just don't get that weather like we do so they have little experience, save once in a few years.

I was at that Hill style hunt in Ga back in 2014 and I left early cause of that coming storm.  So glad I did.  You read about Atlanta coming to a stand still Because of it.

It just is what it is.
ChuckC

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 11:08:00 AM »
Just an FYI, some years ago I was coming back from the bacon strip and went through Kentucky on the way back home.  I was very surprised at how Windee the roads are as well as narrow on those back roads.  Just something to keep in mind .  Good luck on your hunt!
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 11:12:00 AM »
It's not just the plowing, it's the blowing snow. Winds of 60mph expected along the coast, and not much better inland. Tough to keep roads clear under those conditions. Be safe, but I'd think twice.

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 11:17:00 AM »
Drive safely, Charlie, and good luck on that hunt.  Take lots of pics to share, too!  :campfire:
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 11:25:00 AM »
The farther south you go Charlie, the less experience states have dealing with this kind of weather, and has been said, this one sounds like it shouldn't be trifles with. I feel for you but it's not worth your safety. JMHO   :pray:
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 12:31:00 PM »
I live in near the NC and TN border. You will not be able to make it over the mountains. We have a foot on the ground and counting. If you are coming from the west you will need to go pretty far south to avoid the snow in the mountains and foothills.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 01:02:00 PM »
Charlie. It looks, according to the maps, that you would have to go almost west of the Mississippi and then turn south if you want to avoid this monster. If you do decide to try, my best wishes for your safety go with you. Keep us posted. I know it sucks to have to perhaps cancel that hog hunt.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 01:23:00 PM »
"better late than never" is a proverb for a reason. Are we talking FL, GA or TX?
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 02:16:00 PM »
Headed to GA.  Should be going through Chattanooga on 75.  

Mind you we will be going through the heavily hit areas behind the storm tomorrow afternoon by 12-14 hours. The storm should have cleared out of that area by then, question is, will the roads....?

We will not be on the coast nor back roads.  We will stop and get a room if they are impassable.

Thank you for all the responses so far.  This will help with travel coordination.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 03:31:00 PM »
You're already underway from the sound of things. I live at the Southern tip of IL and came home early last night from working in Nashville TN. I-24 was supposedly shut down earlier today. Can't comfirm.  As previously mentioned, the roads are one thing, drivers who literally have no idea what to do in slick conditions are the real reasons to be warry and the usual cause for road shutdowns.

If it's not too late, skirt the West edge of things and go in through AL.
Micah 6:8

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 04:34:00 PM »
Safe travel Charlie

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 06:08:00 PM »
More than likely, it will be a disaster area.  And I hate to say, the Motels will probably already be full.

I would expect the worst.  10" of snow in Tn is like 30" in New York.  

I would reschedule for sure.
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2016, 06:17:00 PM »
I live in the Charlotte, NC area and the roads are an absolute mess with the snow and ice.  If possible, I would delay the travel.

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2016, 07:31:00 PM »
I drive a 18 wheeler everyday and I live in central ky the roads are passable but Brad hit the nail on the head when he said when it snows these people act like they don't know a thing when it comes to driving it will definitely be hazardous but you being 12 to 14 hours behind the storm will definitely help but It supposed to snow into tomorrow I say rock on but be safe
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©